Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Sing Street

Brilliant (if edgy) musical drama celebrates creativity.

Adult Written bystephenVi2 May 1, 2016

Amazing, Emotional, and Unpredictable

Every teenager and parent MUST watch this. It is truly unbelievable. It has great music and great directing and also captures the essence of the 80s. It truly is one of the best movies I have seen,

Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written bynoejacks July 16, 2016

Movie of the Year

Yes, this movie is definitely edgy with some violence and salty language and may not be appropriate for sensitive kids, but it is nothing short of amazing and the best movie I have watched in a long time. Such a refreshing change from the usual formulaic, potty humor filled, animated fare out there for kids. Sing Street has many positive life lessons that provoked meaningful discussion for my family. The best part of this movie was watching the transformation of the main character, a quiet, bullied boy in the beginning into a boy who learns how to stand up for himself against injustice and positively radiates confidence by the end. And he does this in a positive way, through music and showing kindness and inclusion to the boy who bullied him, instead of continuing the cycle of cruelty. Sing Street also illustrates an amazing altruistic relationship between brothers--again also rare to see. My boys (9 and 11) also loved Sing Street and enjoyed the music immensely. They asked me to purchase the soundtrack. Some of the content of the movie did go over my 9 year-old son's head, but my 11 year-old caught all of it and we all had a great discussion to clarify the issues for the younger one. They both asked to see it again before it leaves the theater. Highly recommend.

Adult Written byMark T. September 18, 2016

Some good music, but nothing else redeeming

We watched this movie based on all the five star reviews here, and were disappointed. This isn't a family movie, and it's certainly not one you'd want to watch with children or pre-teens. Even putting aside all the swearing, smoking, bullying, sex discussions, etc., the story is slow and not enjoyable. The music is decent, but that's the only redeeming quality and it's not enough to make this worth watching.

Parent of a 9, 11, 15, and 17 year old Written byHadi S September 11, 2016

Fantastic!

Sing Street is a brilliantly made film, and I definitely recommend it for the whole family. The reason I think it is better for 15+ year olds is because of all of the smoking. There is a LOT of teen smoking, and at this age it is so easy to slip a cigarette into your mouth. The smoking isn't confronted at all in the film, and is evident from start to finish. Another distressing factor in this movie is the swearing. There is one very clear, loud use of the word 'f--king' by a respectable character in the middle of the film, and plenty uses of 's--t' and 's---hole'. In one of the scenes, the word 'nigger' is visible in the background (if it is offensive to you). However, it is my belief that it is better for children to know these words exist, rather than they be confused when they come up. It is still more suitable for older audiences, though. There are two mentions of sexual intercourse, but not graphically. There is a very suggestive drawing shown close - up in one scene, which depicts of an penis emitting drips (possibly semen).

Adult Written byPizza G. June 3, 2017

Brilliant feel-good musical drama has excellent characters, great soundtrack

Sing Street is thoughtful, uplifting, and uniquely poignant, with excellent role models (though teenagers smoke), wonderful characters, a superb soundtrack and one rollercoaster ride of a story. For young teenagers--especially those interested in music--this is an excellent choice. There is, however, slightly more swearing than in your average PG-13 movie ("s--t," "f----t," a use of "f--k") plus mild innuendos (discussion of an affair; a woman takes out what appears to a vibrator but she isn't seen actually using it). Some scenes depict characters exhibiting racism and homophobia that's surprising albeit accurate for the time period. Despite some iffy content, it'll resonate perfectly with a teenage audience.

Adult Written byTiaga Prem S. May 26, 2017
Adult Written byCabahara Macoto August 20, 2018

Christian review, not carnal review

Commonsensemedia's main review read something like "there's swearing, talk about sex, smoking of pod, a lot of disobedience and zero Chrisitan message BUT the music is good and it tells us something about finding our selves and so THEREFORE 5 stars." wtf? Is this a Christian review? If so. Then it ends with showing smoking, sex-seeking, dating, rebelling, non-Christian children. Probably extremely good movie for people, who are established in Christianity and love the 80s music. But the last thing you want to show your children (who'll take it as role models, even if you don't intend it) IF you are in Christ.