Parent reviews for Sleepy Hollow

Sleepy Hollow Poster Image

Wow. It’s meh. Very bloody.

Rated 16 (strong gore, horror, injury detail).

MAIN CONTENT ISSUES - There are images of strong gore throughout, mainly in the aftermath of violence after people have had their heads chopped off, with frequent sight of the severed heads. These gory scenes are only occasionally accompanied by sight of blood spurting. Other moments of gore include brief sight of a man getting chopped in half, and a scene where a man is impaled with a spike through his back and dragged out of a window. Strong horror and threat occurs throughout, including one scene of strong bloody horror where a woman's corpse falls out of an iron maiden torture device causing blood to spill out onto a young boy, as well as a scene where a character finds a bundle of bloody severed heads in a tree. There are occasional moments of strong injury detail where decapitated bodies are examined, and there is close-up sight of their neck wounds, including one moment where a cockroach crawls out of a corpse's neck injury, as well as other moments where people are seen splattered with blood. | OTHER ISSUES - There is one brief scene of moderate sex. There is strong fantasy violence throughout; the aftermath of the violence is more graphic than the violence itself. | RATED "16" - Suitable only for persons aged 16 years and over. Contains content not recommended for viewing by any person below the age of 16.

Fantastic

Great actors and great acting. Special affects and setting was fantastic.

Amazing, but gory.

I just got finished watching this film. This is a great movie and probably one of my favorites by Tim Burton. The only real problem is the violence. There are many, many bloody decapitations, since that is the point of the story: the headless horseman beheads his victims until his own is restored, since it is removed from his grave when he himself was killed. Most of the decapitations are on-screen and roll like balls right after the severing. This CSM review says that there are no positive messages, but I beg to differ. When Constable Ichabod Crane shows Katrina Van Tassel the optical illusion of a cardinal on one side and an empty cage on the other and spins it back-and-forth really fast, it shows the cardinal in the cage as if it were only one image. Crane introduces the topic of optics to Katrina and says that the two images combine into one with the spinning and that is truth, but truth is not always appearance. Before this part in the film, there are some characters who say that seeing is believing, but Crane shows Katrina otherwise, that seeing is not always believing, and therefore, truth is not always appearance. I would put at least a 1/5 for positive messages and a 3/5 for positive role models because it is Crane who not only perseveres through solving the case, but also Katrina and Young Masbath who are by his side as he finds the clues, especially during the Tree of Death scene. There is mild language and drinking, and there is a very brief sex scene that Crane sees right before he enters a house. It is seen in a silhouette appearance, is not graphic, and only lasts a few seconds. Parents should be aware of all the beheadings that take place on-screen before letting their kids see this film. I do not agree with the 18+ age recommendation, though. Despite all of the decapitations, I think it is okay for teens to watch, too, not just adults, and it is also a must-see Tim Burton classic! I think it is most enjoyable around Halloween because of how ominous and spooky it is!

Good

Violence 5/5 Sex 0.5/5 Language 0.5/5 Drinking/Drugs/Smoking 0.5/5

Very violent

This was a great movie. The acting was excellent and the story was great. The movie was pretty scary, but the main evil character, the headless horseman, was not as scary as like clowns or werewolves. There was a very large amount of gore and several people were decapitated with there insides showing and everything. Fine for teens and preteens who don’t easily scare or don’t mind large amounts of gore. Pretty disgusting but great movie.

Based on a true story

In New York City, there is a village called sleepy hollow until now and the story from this movie is packaged based on a true story but the legend is so memorable. For the thing that I don't like about this movie is the lighting of the movie is too dark so it is hard for me to watch it. When the director makes a horror film, make sure the lighting is in the scenario situation.

Cheesy yet entertaining gore fest

Honestly I for the most part found this movie funny because of how over the top it is and other than the violence didn't find much for parents to be too concerned about. Other than having a pretty dark and sinister tone it was pretty difficult for me to take this movie seriously.

Great film for teenagers and adults

We don’t agree with the progressional comment that deceived us for one time. The universe of. Tim Burton is strange but reassuring Because of the sense of humor and the good sense of the investigator that recall us Sherlock Holmes or Guillaume of Baskerville from The name of the rose. The very positive message of the film is the importance of the reason to solve human problems. Please do not miss this film unless you can’t afford when the faith is a little mistreated.

it’s the legend of sleepy hollow..

Can be educational if you look at it from that perspective— had the kids read the story before we watched this. All five of my kids 5-14 know it's a legend and that what they saw it isn’t *real*. They said the theatrics are rather ancient since it looked more fake. It is not too spooky, slightly a gothic ...parody? It’s Tim Burton, and Johnny Depp... so.... but I mean if you shelter your children from things, this probably isn’t the movie for you. it’s not all that bad though! Took it a bit further and went to the Sleepy Hollow cemetery to see Washington Irving’s resting place. (He’s the author of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow for those of you who do not know that) enjoy!