All parent member reviews for Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

Parent of a 1 and 2 year old Written bylexington88 February 20, 2010

Doesn't Hold Up in 2010, Classic status is underserved

I recognize that this is considered a classic, and I'm no prude, but I find this movie to be inappropriate for 2 and 3 year olds. Aside from that, I just don't think it is very good. It meanders along at a slow pace and it's basically a series of disconnected scenes from different perspectives. The Queen is creepy and mean, she orders Snow White killed and to have her heart ripped out as evidence. She dies in the end and vultures go to presumably eat her. Snow White herself is a pretty silly character, with an annoying voice - there just isn't much to her. Even the dwarves just aren't that funny. It's time we stopped pretending this is such a classic - it doesn't hold up at all in 2010. Boring, violent, simplistic and sometimes offensive. I think all Disney animated movies have something to object to - but I'll take Beauty and the Beast and the Little Mermaid over this garbage any day.
Parent Written byC_Personality January 13, 2012

Evil vs. Innocence plot is too evil for 3-8 y/o target audience

We just watched this movie with our two daughters, 5 and 2. What a mistake!!! The movie turned dark very quickly, and the "Dark Arts", witchcraft, casting spells, evil and violence were just too much. This movie does not have a "good vs. evil" plot that sometimes makes the presence of dark plot lines work, when good triumphs over evil. The plot of this movie was "evil vs. innocence" where "true love" from a love-at-first-meeting encounter was what triumphed over evil. Although we used freeze picture, mute and fast forward several times, we still ended up with very objectionable content in our daughter's viewing. As a Christian, I don't believe that the witchcraft and evil in this movie is redeeming for any age. I do think that open discussion about the evil elements could be had with kids age 8 to 12. But I don't think that's the target audience of this movie. I suspect, based on the "Disney Princess" marketing, that the target audience is more like 3-8 year-old girls. We considered keeping the movie around until our girls are around 10 and 8 years old, and watching it again with further explanation/discussion about the negative elements, but decided that there were countless other choices for this type of "education" later on. We threw the movie in the trash, as we don't think it's acceptable content for the target audience (3-8 y/o girls) that would end up watching it secondhand.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byChelseaK December 30, 2010

Personally I think it's okay for younger children to watch as long as a parent is with them to explain the mean people to them. My daughter enjoyed it.
Parent Written bySinfoniarc August 4, 2010

A Timeless Classic With A Scary Villain

First and foremost, Snow White is a product of it's time and that's important to remember when viewing this film. If it's stunning visual effects and strong soundtrack, seek other Disney entertainment. Disney did a phenomenal job of restoring this film for Blu-Ray format, last year, including a 7.1 HD-DTS soundtrack at 48Khz/24-bit. For a movie that was originally mixed for a monaural soundtrack, it sounds great. The movie has many positive attributes including Snow White's selflessness, kindness to others and animals, and a general sweetness and innocence that is easy for a viewer to see. The dwarves show generosity in allowing Snow White to stay with them, even though she sort of invites herself into their house and lives. Having said all of that, the Queen in this film, is one of the most wicked villains Disney has used in one of their full length feature films. The concept of killing Snow White with a hunting knife and putting her heart in a box is fairly creepy and this will scare some children. But the movie also teaches that vanity is bad (as demonstrated by the queen) and not rewarded favorably. As stated earlier, the movie is a product of its time. The animators working on this film were used to drawing Disney shorts with a sort of barnyard-type of humor and this is tame by comparison to many of those shorts. You'll see beer steins around the house of the seven dwarves, but alcohol is not consumed in the movie. Having said that, Snow White (the movie) is loosely based on the Grimm Brothers' fairy tale. Many of their fairy tales were scary and designed to frighten children into obedience or teach valuable life lessons. In regards to this movie, they succeeded. Snow White comes from the typical dysfunctional fairy tale family, having no father or siblings, and an evil step-mother. In today's age in which divorce rates in the US have reached the 50/50 percentage mark, it may be important to convey to your children at some point (if they have a step-mother) that not all step-parents are evil and if appropriate even suggest that the step-parent watch the movie with the children.
Parent of a 18 year old Written byMuscleMan May 15, 2014

The world's first animated Disney flick.

Should be rated PG for some frightening moments and brief suggestive content.
Parent Written byanti-violence November 30, 2013

NOT FOR CHILDREN

thanks, Disney, for tying romance into these horrid ''kids'' movies. just disgusting. we rented it, but after the mercenary job, we just turned it off. I mean, they are deliberately trying to plant conditional love & hit men into the lives of our innocent children. Hope frozen isn't like this.
Parent Written byHannibalPhil April 26, 2013

A true disney classic.

a very beautiful classic film, It brought back good memories. I think two scenes would scare children like the woods scene where snow white runs away, that was creepy as Hell (sorry for my language), like what were they thinking making that scene it would give kids nightmares, but hey it was back then, and definitely were the queen turns into the old women, that was scary, and how she look with her grin on her face like wow, incredible. and the most saddest scene with snow whites funeral, seeing all the dwarfs balling there eyes out, I even balled my eyes out too. In all a true classic.
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy March 20, 2013

Wow.This movie is brilliant,well-excuted,mind blowing,jaw dropping,and out-of-this-world.

I really love this classic Disney film.The plot is creative and well-excuted.This is #6 in my favorite movies list.#5 is The Wizzard of Oz,#4 is Wreck-it Ralph,#3 is The Lorax,#2 is Alpha & Omega,and #1...the movie i'm a fan of the most is....RIO! The graphics in this film are really good.The action is also very good.So overall,this film is very well-excuted and amazing.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 July 20, 2012

snow white and the seven dwarfs

Families can talk about how characters like Snow White might be different if they were created today, and what elements of the story make it a classic fairy tale. How is the violence in Snow White different than the violence in other Disney movies? Snow White is a traditional damsel in distress. How have depictions of princesses and heroines changed since 1937? Why is the Queen jealous of Snow White? Why is being beautiful so important to her?
Parent of a 2 and 7 year old Written bySuper Mommy 1980 June 28, 2012

Snow White and the Seven Dwarves

This is a great Disney Princess movie. I have to admit, the violence is a concern. My 2 yr. old first saw this movie when she was abut 1 1/2. The witch, magic mirror, and huntsman resulted in me having to calm down a screaming toddler. My 7 yr. old first saw this movie when she was 6. Even though the witch scared her, she handled it very well. She actually grabbed my hand and said "Mommy, it's just a movie. Don't worry."
Parent Written bycroatian December 7, 2011

one of the bers farytales ever

every kid should see it, most value and best benefits from human kind and one of our genie Disney
Parent Written byMamaC78 November 25, 2011

SCARY for smaller kids.

My 4 year old was VERY afraid of this movie. She does have a tender heart but the scene with the woodsman that the Queen tells to kill her, is RATHER scary and troubling to a small child. My daughter still talks about this. She does NOT want to watch that part. So fast forward was helpful.
Parent of a 2, 6, 9, and 11 year old Written byBebita19 November 12, 2011

Good Life Lessons: Snow White and the Seven Dwarves

This movie is a shining example of how we are to be selfless, generous, and kind. Snow White demonstrates that we can go places by having grace and her other character features. Talk to your child on how we must act like Snow White, and tell them that by being cruel and nasty, the queen ended up dead. Good movie for 3 and up. It teaches crucial life lessons. Don't miss it!
Educator and Parent Written byFosterFan September 21, 2011

Please, don't deny your kids the pleasure of watching this beautiful film.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is, and will always be, Disney's crowning achievement. Enchanting, fun, a little scary, but always sweepingly romantic, it's a perfect family film. Snow White is a model of sweetness and love for others. The Prince and the seven dwarves have unending love for the princess. But although this film is excellent, I must say, the Disney Princesses merchandise makes fun of the, almost always, strong women they created.
Parent Written byhjom July 7, 2011

Huntsman Lifting Knife above Snow White = Nightmares for Months

My 4 1/2 year old daughter suffered bouts of sleeplessness and nightmares after watching this movie. The scene in which the huntsman lifts the knife above Snow White was what particularly haunted her. It was surprising for me, since we read the Bible every night and have read the story of Abraham nearly sacrificing Isaac many times. I learned that for her, watching a depiction of something scary was much more frightening than just reading about it. To resolve her fear, we talked about the fact that the huntsman changed his mind and did not hurt Snow White. We discussed why the huntsman stopped rather than following through - he knew it was wrong, and that it was more important to obey God and not kill than to obey the Queen and kill Snow White. We talked about doing the right thing even when you're scared, since the huntsman was taking the risk of punishment if the Queen found out. Overall, I found the movie to be slow and boring - there just weren't enough cute or funny scenes to keep my interest in the slow plot.
Adult Written byWaterNymph March 18, 2011

I can't believe someone had the gall to call this garbage....

This is a classic. Yes, there's a scary villain. What movie doesn't have a freakin' scary villain? Get over it. If you wanna talk about "garbage", let's talk about the inappropriate crap that "Disney" comes out with nowadays.
Parent of a 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, and 12 year old Written bymommygalores January 16, 2011

Family Friendly Movie

Fave movie of all times.That is what me and my 6 girls think about this movie.Very heartwarming story about a quaint little princess who is very kind.Even when she found out the dwarfs were not orphans,she treated them with love still.I will admit the queen is a bit scary,but she is an example to young viewers.An example of sheer jealosy.Overall,a great movie for anyone.So go ahead an watch it.You will not regret it.
Adult Written bysonakshi August 27, 2010

Parent of a 1 and 3 year old Written byMamaRo August 7, 2010

A classic.

My 3 and a half year old is absolutely delighted by the little animals helping Snow White. Prior to watching this film for the first time, she was generally afraid of "the woods" but she didn't want to skip the scary part in the woods and doesn't seem to have been damaged by watching it. I appreciate that the character of Snow White is not a sex diva like some of the other Barbie-esque Disney princesses of today. She just seems like a kind and pretty adolescent girl. And a helpful but helpless damsel in distress.
Adult Written byHyper-electronic July 1, 2010

Great movie for older children and adults!

When I was a little girl this movie was frightening to me (from about the age of 4 or 5 when I can first remember watching it). I wasn't able to fully appreciate the content of this movie till I was a little over 11 or 12 years old. This movie is definitely fine for older children. As a person who has a deep love for music, and appreciates all kinds, the voice of Snow White and the music in this movie in general could be considered musically educational. You just can't find women who can sing like that anymore. She has a very beautiful, 1930s style singing voice. The movie doesn't necessarily have the most positive message, but hey, it IS a fairy tale. The intent is to entertain and tug at your imagination. Snow White is definitely a positive role model in the aspects that she is innocent, kind, unselfish, caring, and a glass half full kinda gal. I definitely recommend it as a must see for anyone who loves fantasy and fairy tale romance, and music. Always a classic, no matter if it's 1938 or 2080.