Parent reviews for Soul

Amazing animation, serious themes in existential dramedy.

Wondering if Soul is OK for your kids?

Parents: Set preferences and get age-appropriate recommendations.

Join Plus now

Adult Written bySteve Cooper January 15, 2021

Amazing movie! But may be a little much.

First of all, it is up to you to let your kids see this movie. However, it has elements younger kids may not understand. (SPOILER) It is about the main character (Joe) dying and trying to come back to life. Also, younger kids might get frightened by the lost souls. In the movie, there are also phrases about putting yourself down like “my life is meaningless”. You will see Joe dying in a hospital bed in a couple of scenes. But there is nothing graphic since it is a PG movie. But overall it is an outstanding movie. Like I said earlier, might be a little much for smaller children though considering the whole point of the movie is really about life and death. But it has great role models and messages. That is why I think kids 11+ can handle it.

Parent of a 5-year-old Written byJonathan F. December 31, 2020

Wonderful family movie

Watched it with the entire family. Great movie about life, purpose and how to make the most of it. Comes with great characters, music and funny moments.

Adult Written byHolly R. January 4, 2021

Really good movie; don’t worry about the body swap trope

It’s a really good movie. I have seen some reviews mentioned on other websites saying that it has the “body swap trope” as if it applies only to people of color when I can name many films that do likewise to white peoples (Rock-a-Doodle, Beauty and the Beast, Harry Potter, and Howl’s Moving Castle are but a small sampling I can name). It’s true that the trope is more common with minority characters but the film needed it to teach its lesson. I will admit I wished 22 were voiced by someone else (Regina King perhaps?) as I’m not a fan of Tina Dey’s brand of comedy. But I really loved this movie. It’s got a heavy handed message in it and it borrows heavily from Asian religion and philosophy. It’s really sweet how Joe and 22 figure out life together as 22 walks in what is supposed to be Joe’s body after an accident landed him on life support and they botch returning Joe to his body. Joe ends up in Mr. Mittens the cat’s body during the ordeal and the movie crams a lot of weirdness and heart in its too short run time. It would have been nice to see more “Black Joe than Cat Joe” but Mr. Mittens is adorable and we still get “22 in Black Joe’s body” and positive things in the community.
Parent of a 5 and 5-year-old Written byKevin F. December 31, 2020

Funny with good message, but might move too slow for kids

My wife and I enjoyed this movie, and our 5 year olds were generally OK with it (a little scared of some of the imagery of the characters falling into darkness) but actually lost interest in it and left a couple of times to go play during the movie. It seemed like parts of the movie that slowed down for plot development were just a little too slow to keep them fully engaged.
Parent Written byRebekah P. December 29, 2020

Don’t waste your time

Way over kids heads and I felt it was a waste of even my time. It was confusing and I couldn’t even explain the movie back when someone asked me what it was about. Don’t waste your time.
Adult Written byFunmovie76 December 27, 2020

Wonderful movie about living a quality life

We watched this movie with our 6 year old and she loved it. It has funny parts and talks about the purpose of life.

Adult Written byBigDaddy817 January 16, 2021

Get ready to cringe

I thought a pixar movie named Soul would be about music. It’s not. Five minutes in I’m thinking ‘oh no what have i done’. It just goes down hill from there. You get to watch newly departed souls of adults and children cross into the next realm while the main character spends the whole movie despartley trying to avoid his impending death. It’s awkward, uncomfortable and definitely not a feel-good kids movie. Music score by Trent Renzor while a cartoon character has his soul ripped away from him too early. Coco was awesome. This is gross. Seriously the WORST movie i have ever seen.
Adult Written bycomedia January 13, 2021
Adult Written bymilese556 January 13, 2021

Best Funny Heartfilled movie about a Soul

Disney's Soul is a great movie. It is so clever and kid-friendly. It has no cuss words. It is funny too! It's a great family movie.

Parent of a 11-year-old Written byAmy S. January 12, 2021

Must Watch

This movie is so hard to explain. But the words I would use to explain it are, must watch. - Review by Lily, age 11.

Adult Written byTheGary2308 January 11, 2021

Very good!

I don't think this movie would be innappropiate, it's pretty innocent and funny. I atched this with my kid and I don't think the "death stuff" would be innappropiate at all.

Adult Written bysebpetit January 11, 2021

Good music but deals with too many theories on life and death

This is a great movie about music but it's not for small children. Unfortunately, it leaves everyone confused over weird theories on life and death. Unscientific and unexplainable to kids unless you want to force on them crazy theories.
Adult Written byMr. Reviews Guy January 7, 2021

Great movie, and amazing messages

This movie could be violent, but still it's very sweet. Joe does shine.

Adult Written byanoushkab January 6, 2021

Tad complicated for young children

I think the movie is aimed at older children and adults some of the concepts are difficult to grasp and a little scary in parts. My youngest who is 6 found it boring but didn't understand a lot of it.

Adult Written byKmezam January 4, 2021

Buena pero no excelente, falta de claridad.

Buena, bonito mensaje pero no excelente peli... el guión se cae por un poco de falta de continuidad en las ideas, lo cual es una lástima porque le quita claridad al mensaje... entretenida, con lindos gráficos, tierna pero debajo del nivel de Intensamente...

Adult Written bypolanskine January 3, 2021

Parent of a 4-year-old Written byllcox January 2, 2021

First pixar movie without an antagonist

My almost 5 year old loved it, and the grown-ups enjoyed it too. That's an unusual win around here. It's also non-violent and therefore appropriate for younger kids, which is particularly difficult to find in family movies. It must only be rated 8+ here in terms of who will be able to follow the philosophy, there's very little inappropriate here for younger kids. Yes, he dies right near the beginning, but it's handled more like he falls into another universe. Great choice for a family movie.

Adult Written byMiloww January 2, 2021

adult's existencial questions too much for little naive kids

Original, but overcomplicated story, with stuff that adults may find so important, but that will leave kids wondering 'so what about' ? as they may rather get a feeling of a cartoon story without understanding not even 20% of its meaning.

Parent of a 8-year-old Written byEmily B. January 2, 2021

Parent of a 11 and 13-year-old Written byEmily H. January 2, 2021

Great family movie!

The themes of living in the moment and pursuing what you love in life, while tackling questions of before/after life are portrayed in a funny and sensitive way. Easy for the younger kids to follow and enjoyable for all. Animation was fantastic!