Parent reviews for Soul

Soul Poster Image

Ideas to advanced for young children

It was a good movie, but the themes were too advanced for my 6-year-old. A lot of it went over his head and the concept of death and dying is a little too complicated for him to understand. He honestly got bored because it was beyond his ability to comprehend. As an adult, I thought it was well done.

Trash

Good message.

Has a beautiful message. Definitely not rated g, kind of scary for younger children with the lost souls (resemble monsters)

4 year olds loved it

All my reviews are based on my b/g twins reactions and our discussions about the film. My kids loved it and in sparked a lot of discussion about death and various afterlife beliefs.

Not for sensitive people

This movie is great artistically. Well made and animated. The blue souls are even cute to some extent. But not always. The dark blue lost souls are creepy. They hiss and roar like crazy diabolic souls. They get bigger and bigger with scary eyes. Later, other creepy and weird looking creatures appear, grey of appearance with dark holes for eyes. Extremely creepy and scary. We had watched the short movie (22 vs Earth) of a similar soul concept and liked it and didn't think it would be scary this time with Soul. However, my 7 years old son did not like it at all and started complaining about how it made him feel uncomfortable and scared. We stopped it right away. But some images stayed in his mind.

Inaccurate Portrayal

Hindu/New Age Religion: The character 22 introduces Joe to a friend, Moonwind (Graham Norton), a hippie whose beliefs harken to Eastern philosophies and rituals and speaks of one’s ‘chakra.’ A soul on the way to “The Great Beyond” speaks of her different expectations of the after-life, however keep in mind that neither God’s final judgment, nor eternal life in Heaven are ever shown or addressed. Rather, the film messages a different impression with a worldview more consistent with Hindu/New Age suppositions, in contradiction to God’s Word. Copyright, Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures Lastly, the angelic-seeming caretakers of ‘new souls’ are depicted as ever-changing, two-dimensional living lines-of-force, who describe themselves as “the coming together of all quantized fields of the universe.” What a shame not to acknowledge God’s angels who are very real, very powerful first creations of God.

Harmful messages hidden

The movie says: someone with incredible talent (Joe) or someone with a dream (the barber) and doesn't have the support (financially, from parents, family, friends) to make it, then they should learn to accept it and be happy in the alternative and turn to things like pizza and doughnuts (which could easily be alcohol or drugs) to live each moment to its fullest. I'm I the only one that sees this? So many confusing themes and an ending that doesn't solve anything for Joe, and this is marketed to kids. I'm sorry but I can't get this movie off my mind since I saw it. I get what it was trying to do but the lessons are disturbing to me