Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Excellent, intense adventure has thrills, humor, heart.

Adult Written byJackBlackWhite December 16, 2018

Really fun movie Just one flaw.... Fatter-man

I'm sure there are plenty of folks that are going to have a wonderful time at this movie and could care less from what I'm about to say. I brought my son, who's five, to this movie today and we had a lot of fun, I enjoyed the artistic view to this movie and I thought the diversity of the characters was exceptional. A very good job in showing the characters strengths and weaknesses. There are many emotional moments that build great value to the movie, with the father son relationship and the amount of loss that is experienced by all, creating great opportunities to show the better half of being human. There was just one thing that stuck out to me that seems to be the norm in Hollywood on any level of media, the constant need to portray overweight people as a joke and Into the Spider-verse makes no exception to this rule. There are many different versions of the Spider hero in this film, of coarse the main character is a black american teenager and I thought that was a really great way to go, they have an anime girl who is Japanese I assume, Spider-man like Dick Tracy, a pig whom is quite comical, a white american teenage girl and a 30 something white man that has a pizza belly. There are a few more but these are the main. I understand the character composition for these characters as together they make quite the impressive team. However fat joke after fat joke the 30 year old Spider-man takes the grunt of it. I didn't realize the effects of these jokes on the overweight Spider-man that my son would absorb, and I don't blame it on just this movie, as I said it is the norm. Hollywood it seems goes out of it's way for diversity and social justice equality in all aspects other than if you have a weight problem, even saying that sentence in that context which is a normal daily thing people say, directly puts the blame on people that it is their fault and that overweight or weight problem is the most negative thing to be. I'm just an average 30 something white man that can relate to the Spider-man that is joked about, as I have been through this my whole life and it is not easy in such a superficial society. Once the movie ended and we rolled past the credits, we were in the car, as I was bringing him home to his moms house, in fact we are a broken family like so many others. He said, "I know what we can call the fat Spider-man.. Fatter-man", and my heart sunk to the bottom, here I was a 30 something white overweight man, like the aforementioned Spider-man who has struggled my whole life with weight, the whole of society focusing to me how very wrong it is to be so. Now to hear my five year old who is a pinnacle of fitness even at such a young age, making fat jokes and teasing Spider-man, his favorite comic hero just really set in the amount of bias that Hollywood and American media has. I struggled with the following conversation to him of how it is not nice to tease people about their weight and that people come in many shapes and sizes and sometimes it's not their fault or choice to be viewed negatively, that it's a persons character that really matters. I said you know that Spider-man is a lot like daddy and it hurts daddy's feeling when people make fun of him like that so we shouldn't do that to others. I told him being kind and nice to people is a choice and that he needed to choose the man he wanted to become. I dropped him off and hugged him, I said I love you and remember our conversation. I really wish that didn't hit me so hard but it did, I only hope Hollywood would make a better choice of who they are and what effects they have on everyone, it seems that fat jokes are their last safe haven to retreat in such a politically correct culture. I doubt those jokes would have flown on race or sex or intelligence these days. ... Just something to think about, enjoy the movie!

Adult Written byStevie111 December 8, 2018

Perfectly done superhero movie has plenty of action despite PG rating

Spider-man: Into the Spider-verse is a really well done superhero film with a great story and characters. The animation really impressed me. There was a great sense of humor along with the action forward story line. I thought it was just as violent as most other Marvel films, and even darker than some. Despite being animated, it is really not a young kids movie. Characters are killed. People are shot. Someone is crushed. There are lots of large scale action sequences throughout. Lots of talk about death. There is a little bit of mild language, but the real issue is violence. I thought it was a terrific movie, just be careful bringing kids.

Adult Written byLachlan234568 December 15, 2018

Intense and enjoyable, but a few problems

This movie was great! I personally enjoyed it! But, i took my child to see it , since it was PG rated. Despite being rated PG, this movie has ALL the elements of a PG-13 movie. The action is over the top, there's a bunch of violence, such as death, pistols, a small amount of blood, slo mo chase scenes, and more that's not really appropriate. But, there is a Purple Panther looking villain in this film that makes the scariest screech noise, it had my son crying and scared. Overall, the best age is a mature 6 or 7 year old.

Adult Written byH3l3N December 15, 2018

Not for children under 12

I took my 10 year old son and his friends to see this film last night at the Cinema due to commonsensemedia rating 9+, it refers to ‘puberty’ several times in the beginning, some awkward teenage flirting, very dark throughout, lots of death, lots of violence, lots of trippy flashing and weirdness. Some comedy however, when I looked at the boys they had the look of shock and horror on their faces instead of laughing, so, half way through I decided it was too scary for them, and took them home. For older kids, and adults it is a brilliant film, it’s a fast pacing full on action movie, superb graphics, with imaginative story line. I’m kind of gutted I didn’t get to fully enjoy it, or see the rest of the movie at the cinema. It’s definitely a coming of age movie aimed more so at teenagers, and not really suitable for kids under.

Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byionFreeman December 16, 2018

Really nice film

Our eight-year-old can be pretty sensitive to scary subjects, and our six-year-old (who maybe in order to frustrate his brother demands films like Goosebumps and Nightmare before Christmas) can be pretty sensitive to lound noises -- we go to a local theater that has the volume set lower than the chains -- and they both did great and really, really loved the movie. It does give kids a pretty mistaken impression of supercolliders. There are two significant deaths and a lot of deep bonds formed quickly. The mentor spider-man couldn't make it work with MJ and is struggling with a mid-life crisis, so if that's where you are, you might let the film build some sympathy for you. There is an after credits scene, but I kind of regret sticking around for it. It wasn't a very big payoff and those credits were long.

Parent Written byStefan L. December 15, 2018

Very creative, positive themes, super funny-- very different from a typical superhero movie-- A movie for kids and adults.

Excellent movie-- the combination of animation styles makes this one of the most creative movies I've ever seen. It was way better then what I expected. Totally out-of-the-box and very different from a typical superhero movie. My teen and I saw this together, and we're going to see it again with the whole family. I don't like violent movies, and this was fine. The action was quite good without being too violent. There are a couple deaths, including one shooting. Violence levels are very cartoony -- nothing super graphic, but plenty of cartoon punches/kicks/slams (WHAM!), and a similar level of intensity to the Incredibles, but less than Avengers-- reminiscent of the old Batman TV show or Spiderman cartoon but faster paced. The animation and soundtrack fit together very well for many action scenes. The movie is fast-paced, and kids who are sensitive to light flashes or loud sounds might get agitated. We'll bring our ear protection for our own AHD child. The entire movie theater was paralyzed with laughter from the many hilarious and awkward scenes. Positive themes about family, love, friendship and friendship throughout. Strong female leads. A positive story about a person of color and his family.

Adult Written byMatthew Ritch December 7, 2018

Must-see

It is a whimsical, fun, exciting, entertaining action-packed thrill ride for the entire family with heart, cool visuals, humor, and the spirit of what made and still makes, Spider-Man one of the best superheroes out there.

Adult Written bySrlucia December 30, 2018

NOT PG!!!!

I took my four year old to this PG movie and we walked out. There is way too much death and violence for this to be a PG movie!!!!! It should be PG-13

Parent Written bySomeoneWhoWrite... December 29, 2018

Shocked me in theaters for the Violence and Frightening Scenes!

I went to theaters the day it came out and was actually really impressed with how it looked visually! It looks incredible!! But, for a PG movie...It had some stuff I wouldn't recommend for anyone under the age of 11. For instance SPOILER ALERT!!!!! a man is killed by being hit in the face. The big creepy bald guy says, "Get rid of the body," afterward. Another thing is a guy is shot in the back and is killed. Even though you don't see the bullet wound, you hear the gunshot. One last thing............Very dark atmosphere throughout movie, but still great movie and a must see, just not for everyone. ALRIGHT I AM DONE TALKING. ;)

Parent of a 9 year old Written byColin G. January 10, 2019

Some younger kids will be okay with this movie

If you are super-protective of your children there are some moments in this movie which could make you feel uneasy. If they are super sensitive to violent bad guys, those moments might make them feel uneasy. Overall though, in my opinion most kids 6+ will be fine with this movie (when considering the YouTube videos they watch behind your back!). I can offer views through the eyes of a 4, 6 and 9 year old. The 6 year old was a visiting nephew, who mostly falls under the protective style of parenting. He really enjoyed the movie but didn't really get some of the finer points of the story. Although he did a double take a couple of times we never got the impression he was scared. Yes, we had permission to take him :) The 9 year old loved it and understood most, if not all of the movie. I have slowly pushed the boundaries for him over the last 4 years, but he is way ahead of what I have allowed (from watching YouTube). The 4 year old is an anomaly as she has spent a lot of time sneaking peaks over the shoulder of my son as he watches various shows and internet content, as well as forcing herself into play situations with him and his friends. She is fairly tough for a 4 year old. An early scene made her cuddle into me but she didn't want to leave when I suggested she might be too small for the movie. She didn't get the story line but there was enough going on that she was never bored for more than a couple of minutes here or there. There were no negative effects after it had finished, nor any dangerous tricks in the movie that she could try to copy. I wouldn't recommend this movie for most 4 years old kids, but as it is animated in a way that is disconnected from real life it should be fine for those already watching things like Spider-man, TMNT etc. on TV. It's a fairly dark movie though, they probably won't enjoy it anywhere as much as the trailers might suggest.
Adult Written byNerdyReview December 23, 2018

The best spider man movie yet SEIZURE WARNING

This is by far the best spider man movie ever mad although that really isn’t saying much it still means something this movie has plenty of action and a few scenes with people with blood coming out of their nose due to fighting and some other mild cartoonish action scenes. There is also one use of hell and one used of pissed both of which are mild words I know but some might not expect it from a cartoon the only thing notable here is to cover your kids eye at the start of the movie if he or she is easy to trigger sizures but besides that this movie is great and has a lot of heart and it’s the best movie of this year personally.

Adult Written byJoelle Z. December 16, 2018

Jaw-Dropping

This movie was by far the best movie I've seen all year... actually, it's probably the best I've seen in a few years. I don't like Marvel and I got tired of Spider-Man after the Andrew Garfield remake, but my sister wanted to see this one, so I went, and I was BLOWN AWAY! The animation is incredible, the plot is intricate, fun, and believable, and I've never seen such intense character development for a cartoon. It was amazing!! There are a few scenes of cartoon violence one would expect from a superhero movie: **SPOILERS** A few prominent characters die: one by gunshot, one by blunt force, and one gets hit by a train. There's a lot of hand- to- hand combat but no blood. Everything else is just fast-paced action. I would 100% see this again in theaters.

Parent of a 9 year old Written byPhoenix T. December 16, 2018

Innovative & Thoughtful Animation Twist on Spiderman. Extraordinary addition to the Marvel universe.

SPIDER-MAN - INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE ( YT trailer at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg52up16eq0 ). Saw this super-creative film extravaganza on day 2 of opening weekend w/ my 9 year old son. I think younger children will be fine with the film if they've seen any of the other MARVEL / DC Comics films of recent years (Avengers, Ultron, Infinity War, Incredible Hulf, etc.). The violence is cartoonish and 'contained' (tastefully done). Most kids will find it relatively tame. My son did. As for the film itself, Luke LOVED the cutting edge & truly innovative animation renderings of one of Spiderman, his favorite comic book super heroes. It was real ART. Transcendant even. Wow. What a beautifully rendered and progressive/far-sighted and imaginative take on the Spiderman universe. Couldn't help but thinking of the creative forces and the world wide web that helped this film come together. A true work of art that might be deserving of an academy award for several categories. Hats off to Sony and Amy Pascal -- beautifully executed and tastefully done. Terrific role model messages w/ classic but modern twists on archetypal characters ( kudos to the Mr. Kingpen and Miles Morales animation teams!!). I highly recommend the film for mature youngsters and parents who enjoyed the classic Spiderman and various reboots. They will not be disappointed (Btw, don't forget to stay to the end of the credits!).

Adult Written byDarylTheStudent January 1, 2019

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

This was a pleasant surprise, and might even be my favorite superhero movie of the year. However, there are some intense action sequences (and deaths) that award it the PG rating. Most of the soundtrack consists of rap songs, but they do NOT contain strong profanity.

Adult Written byYRR December 25, 2018

The first half hour is so boring and finally we go to the action scene the color and the boom they made is hurt my eye and make me so dizzy!!

Parent of a 8 year old Written byBigchris29 December 18, 2018

Fantastic movie over the top action

Okay so I originally only went to see this one due to good reviews however I really truly enjoyed it I laughed and felt heart however there's a heavy level of action for a PG movie more like a PG _13 movie violence and scares however it's. a wonderful time at the movies

Adult Written byTroos December 27, 2018

Pretty good movie!

Took my 6-year-old son and 8-year-old daughter to see. I thought it was pretty good, and both of my kids liked it, but my son was a little scared by it. Not scared enough to cause nightmares or anything, but he was bothered by some of the violence. And this is a kid who watches all of the Star Wars, Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, and Narnia movies. So if your kids are sensitive to violence, I'd wait until they are older. My daughter really liked it and enjoyed the female spider-girls.

Parent of a 8, 14, and 15 year old Written byJughead29 December 21, 2018

Superb movie just quite rough

Okay if my 9 year old hadn't begged me I never would have ever seen this movie however I am.extremily glad she did I had so much fun the movie moved very fast and had lots of laughs and action parts however on the flip side of things this could and most likely should have been a pg_13 instead of pg it's dark towards the end and pretty violent I may not have taken my youngest if I had been aware of such things however it was stupendous and I totally recommend it

Adult Written byDoom281 December 26, 2018

Really good movie, do suggest watching as a family,lots of laughs.

Adult Written bygrselig January 1, 2019

Very good movie but intense

Loved it. Very well done and entertaining. Visually stunning and a great plot. Worth seeing in the theater. However it was intense for sensitive children and MINOR SPOILER WARNING ----------------an early death was disturbing.