All parent member reviews for Spider-Man

Parent of a 3, 6, and 9 year old Written bytsreyb November 26, 2010

Enjoyable for tweens, teens and adults, but NOT younger kids.

Very enjoyable movie. Older kids, teens and adults will love it. But, IMHO, the villain is just way too scary for kids under 10.
Parent of a 5, 9, and 12 year old Written byshadowfc March 14, 2009

Common Sense Pretty Accurate

I watched this movie at the theater when it came out, but I've probably only seen it once or twice since then. My 12 year old has been bugging me to see it. Trustin Common Sense, I decided to let her watch it. She has seen all the Heroes (NBC) episodes, so know up front that she's accustom to a certain level of violence and language. I have to agree with Common Sense's review. It's appropriate for kids 11 and older depending on the child and the parent's leniency for violence or language. I listened for the "S" word and never heard it. Lots of "A" (rear-end) references, even by Peter's Uncle Ben. I don't remember Peter himself ever using bad language. There is a degree of violence throughout. The last fight sense was rather painful for my daughter to watch (as Spidy gets the snot beat out of him). There's quite a bit of blood to boot. So just be careful. In the end, the movie was still an appropriate watch for my 12 year old. It has some good overall themes about what it means to be a hero that I enjoyed recapping later with my child. For the faint of heart, preview (as always) this movie before letting the kids watch, but I give it a thumbs up for 12 and over.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byohya August 6, 2010

Parent of a 11, 14, and 15 year old Written bycashed12 July 23, 2010

Donning a costume and name--A good 10-year old action funfest!

Spider-Man is the funniest,touching,action-packed tale about a nerdy teen named Peter Parker accidentally got bitten by a spider,Drawing concept art,Then donning the name--SPIDER-MAN,Spider-Man can be fun for 11-year olds,But too intense for 6-year olds,Fun and exciting!
Adult Written bygreen_goblin May 8, 2009

Still iffy for 13-14 year olds.

A little iffy for a 13y/o. This has more blood than other recent superhero films. The scene with MJ and SM is quite sensual, cos you can see her nipples poking through her top. The Green Goblin is quite scary.
Parent of a 2, 2, 5, 10, 10, and 16 year old Written byMariofan May 9, 2010

Why do they rate all the superhero movies PG-13,even though they know kids of younger ages would watch them? These are great movies. The violence is the common super hero movie violence, not that much blood.
Adult Written bywonder dove May 2, 2013

My favorite out of all 3!

Amazing film! One of my favorites. Spider-man is not just for boys, which I first thought when the movie came out. I wasn't much of a super hero, action type of fan until I saw this. I think Tobey McGuire was perfect for this role and I love Kirsten Dunst! It's basically about a teen boy named Peter (Tobey) who is sort of disguised as a geek and later gets bitten by an exotic spider in a museum during class. He notices some odd changes that start to effect him, like not needing his glasses and becoming mysteriously strong and confident which gets his love interest Mary Jane's attention (Kirsten). He soon finds out that he is invincible, able to climb walls and swing around town using his web. Best of all, no one knows it's Peter. He saves many lives and becomes the town's hero in no time, but must face some troubles of his own, like fighting off the evil and saving those he truly cares about from his enemies. It's highly engaging, very fun and action packed with lots of story and drama. Lots of good messages throughout and Peter, as well as Mary Jane, are both excellent role models! Violence is heavy with lots of fights including fist fights in a wrestling ring and beatings between comic characters, some gore, fires, some bullying and arguing. Sexual content has some kissing and also a brief scene of skimpy dressed women in the fighting ring. Language isn't bad at all. Perfect for everyone 10+ (must watch the second and third too!)
Parent of a 11 year old Written byedklat August 29, 2014

Educator and Parent of a 1, 2, 4, 6, and 14 year old Written bySuperherofan May 10, 2014

New language

I say 5, Language-hell and Damn. Sex-no sex (besides a kiss) Violence-Blodless
Adult Written byWill loves movies May 31, 2013

Does whatever a spider can.

This is one of the best comic book movies of all-time. Peter Parker is one of the best role models in both movies and comic book history. He tries to do the right thing no matter what might happen to him. Uncle Ben ties the positive message with one line: "with great power comes great responsibility." There is some drinking by Norman Osborn. There is quite a lot of mild profanity like the d-word and h-word. The sexual content is really just in two scenes: the scene where Peter is in a wrestling match with the ringside girls and the alley kiss with MJ. Most of the violence comes in the final battle where spidey fights the Green Goblin. All in all, a good movie to get kids into Spider-Man, although you might want to skip some of the violent scenes.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 July 21, 2012

spider man

Families can talk about the fact that two major male parent figures die. Many of the kids (particularly boys) who will be most interested in seeing the movie are at an age when separation from parents is starting to become an issue. You might want to have a conversation about real-life ways to deal with that. Also, do you agree that people "love to see a hero fail"? How do you think this live-action film compares with Spider-Man comics?
Educator and Parent Written bychristian-witness June 28, 2012

ok

Parent Written byblackknight12 June 27, 2012

LEARNING

This movie is great!!!!!

I think this movie is great family entertainment and pretty age appropriate for children. The whole "bitten by a spider" concept was great fun for my kids and it didn't scare them a bit. Spider man is romantic with MJ and the graphics are just epic. I advise you greatly to watch this wonderful movie.
Adult Written bydklein April 4, 2012

a little violent, but fine for older grade-schoolers

spider-man has been my favorite superhero since i was a kid and this movie more than did justice to the comics. as a nerd i've always identified with peter parker and what he goes through as a normal teen (before the bite, of course). while there are elements of the story that could have been better, anyone looking for a fun ride will enjoy this. overall, violence isn't too bad, though two deaths and one near-death may upset some younger kids.
Parent Written bytreat02 March 2, 2012

good movie for higher elementary

um.....this one was good and i liked it. I don't think younger elementary kid's should see it. They may want to because (boys) may have read comic's about Spiderman and they may have liked him.
Parent of a 1, 10, 10, 14, and 15 year old Written bycharmsmatuts December 24, 2011

Spider-Man, Spider-Man, Everyone loves Spider-Man!

This movie was good. I didnt know if I'd like it as much as the 1995 TV series since usually film adaptions of something aren't as good as the original or they leave out some stuff from the original. But this movie was an exception. The violence is a bit tense, but it's fairly mild for a PG-13. There isn't much sex, but there is the famous upside-down kiss between Peter and Mary-Jane. Language consists of h-ll and d-mm. It might be okay for middle-graders; it really depends on their maturity. And hopefully this one doesn't fall short! Spiderman is a web-slinging adventure that takes you through the process of Peter Parker's transformation from becoming the average teenager with a crush on the girl next door to the ultimate superhero. Kid's everywhere will love this movie! I especially recomend it to tweens, because some bits and pieces of the film are not for the little ones. Swearing (words like the P word the H word) is in it, and violence between Spidey and the Green Goblin might scare small kids. But My kids and I loved it!
Parent of a 10 and 13 year old Written byTheRightGuy101 August 23, 2011

A great action film for the younger ones!

This movie may drag for teens and adults and is mostly made for the child auddience. My son loved it and the only part that was a little gorey was when Green Goblin got stabbed with his own hoverboard thing. Blood gushed out of his mouth, but thats pretty much it. Great Movie for kids, 2+. 3/5
Parent of a 12 year old Written byGoodSSJ May 7, 2011

Awesome Movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I Think It's Iffy For 2+ Because Of The Scene Where MJ Was Being Attacked By Men And MJ Wore A Clingy Shirt While It Was It Was Raining And The Green Goblin Might Creep Out Kids Ages 2+ But It Still An Awesome Movie
Adult Written by4Spice June 14, 2010

good movie teens will love it 11 and over for kissing and violence
Parent of a 10 year old Written bydandy June 3, 2010

FINE

PG-13 really? But I didn't let my kids watch it tell they were all 8. Some words like (d**n, s**t, h**l, and a**). When my kids first saw it they thought it was gross because of all the boyfriend girlfriend stuff.