Find the best for your family

See what's streaming, limit strong violence or language, and find picks your kids will love with Common Sense Media Plus.

Join now

Parent reviews for Spies in Disguise

Odd-couple spy/buddy comedy is wacky fun; lots of action.

Parent of a 5-year-old Written byKellany December 21, 2019

Cute, funny but nudity?

This movie is really cute and full of laughs. The intro credits are very James Bond. And I love James Bond. Also a nerdy scientist who was bullied as a kid believes in himself and saves the day. Great message for kids.
But why do they think it’s ok to normalize nudity to children? We were exposed to a very large derrière and when the man bent over and parents cringed at the private parts about to be exposed, a small foreground object hid that one part. Too much!!
Adult Written bySEAparent December 29, 2019

Too violent for kids

If your kids insist on seeing this movie, wait until it comes out and rent it...or don’t. It is a kids’ movie, but it’s incredibly violent: knife to the throat, half-faces, remarks on melting faces off, explosions, lots of talking about killing people, actually killing people, etc. It’s not a Disney movie, but just like in most Disney kids’ movies, a parent dies/is dead. This movie should have been scrapped with the first script. Kids were not really considered when creating this movie. There are some cliche jokes. It’s not a clever movie. Please don’t waste your time like we wasted ours.

Adult Written bydreezyfrom402 December 28, 2019

Not appropriate for younger children

As others have stated, there is nudity in this “children” film. A “bad guy” is seen in a towel, which drops, leaving him completely naked from behind. You see his backside (very realistic and inappropriate). A few moments later, the man sticks his finger in a pigeon’s bottom. There is also a scene at the beginning of the movie where “bad guys” are seen drinking alcohol and gambling. There is a lot of gun violence throughout the movie. I like the plot and there were a lot of funny points in the movie, but overall, I do not think it should be rated PG. we had three adults and a 6-year-old with us and we were disappointed. We actually had her cover her eyes during the portion of the movie where the man was naked. We should not be normalizing nudity in films.

Adult Written byTodd G. December 27, 2019

Mediocre movie that failed to engage the adults and presented too much violence for children

Others commented on the naked butt scene, but that did not offend our family. The overall themes - a nerdy "weird-o" boy turns into the hero while a narcissistic agent figures out he is better with a team - are great for children. My 6-year old struggled with the amount of violence and the scare factor in the bad guy(s) (he included the killing robots with their bad-guy owner).

We had 3 adults and 2 children (5 and 6). The adults agreed that the movie was OK but seemed too violent for young children. The children said they loved the movie but both struggled a bit at bedtime with the bad guy and the scary robots who were "shooting everything."

Overall, I am disappointed that we selected this movie as it wasn't engaging enough for an adult and had scenes that were too over the top for the children. If I had it to do again I would skip this movie.

Adult Written byVhenderson36 December 27, 2019

Inappropriate

#Parentbeware this movie is completely inappropriate for young children. As other reviewers mentioned, the realistic nudity was totally unnecessary.

The opening song is your first red flag...it’s called “Freak of Nature” and the lyrics include these lines (shocking)...

“Real talk, no lie
Real g's fly high
Gonna kiss that sky
When you Ride with me...

I'm a Freak of Nature, baby
Lil' Dose of Danger, maybe
If you want to call me
I'll be there when you call me
So call me if you wanna get freaky love...

Know the force is major, baby
No need to complicate it
Foreign rides outside the club and we creepin' up

I roll with all the flavors
Like a pack of now and laters
200 proof of vibe and they drink it up”

There are two nude scenes (in a kids movie, really Will Smith? What’s wrong with you agreeing to be a part of such a film).

It tries to desensitize our children to nudity, foul language - when the bird (Will Smith) is about to fall, it literally blurs his beak and implies a curse word.

At another part in the movie it shows the villain throw someone over the edge and implies KILLING THEM, what on earth???!!!!

Another part of the movie show a rainbow bomb, which I won’t dive into how blatant the intent there is...but what’s worse is the character Walter tosses magic dust into the air where it forms a half-circle protective rainbow fence while exclaiming (according to the studio) “that’s my 50 shades of yea!” As in similar to 50 shades of gray, why can anyone explain Why?!! Any kids movie should point or imply to sub things?! I want my money back and I will definitely never again support the studio or individuals who backed this movie, including will Smith, again by watching one of their movies. Disgusting!

Parent of a 9-year-old Written byHolli A. December 29, 2019

Extremely violent, glorifies weapons

There was some humor and positive storylines intermixed with this extremely violent and dark movie. Not sure why someone thought a story line about a terrorist would be a good kids movie?

Adult Written byJoshwesley December 27, 2019

Parents of Littles Beware

SPIES IN DISGUISE PARENT REVIEW:
I’m upset, because It was a pretty great movie. I enjoyed it as an adult, but #ParentBeware

There were some parts that was totally unnecessary. There was a part when they revealed an adult butt and had the main character naked (with the main anatomy blocked out) and even mentioning them being naked. I know it at sounds little, but it was the placement. It was different... While it was not overtly sexual, it felt intentional intimate. It made a brotha cringe... It was very forced in my opinion and was way too much for my lil man.

What made me wake up this morning and write something about it was, it was the only part he mentioned this morning. Soooo... it stuck.

Pretty upset by it, but I’ll take the L because I need to be an aggressively informed parent...

Adult Written byElizabeth82 December 26, 2019

Perfect Family Film

This is a crazy fun animated spy movie that knows its audience. Our whole family went to this movie including grandpa, our teen and a few younger cousins. We all loved it! It is rare for a kids movie to keep all the generations entertained but this one is smart enough for adults to truly enjoy along with kids of all ages. They main message is one of nonviolence and smarts over brawn, Will Smith is so charming it's not preachy. Yes, you see the buns of one character but it's not sexual, but funny slapstick, it made none of us uncomfortable at all including the teen who thinks everything is embarrasing. There's no sex in this only the faintest hint of romance. In the end they beat the bad guy with inventive and fun tools instead of guns, which is sorta the point. The female characters in this movie totally rock and are good role models. We all agreed it was our favorite kids animated movie in some time because it was original and the story is great fun.

Adult Written bybettiest January 10, 2020

witty and some great things, some things not so great

I agree that the central message around weird kids make great people; the buddy story of pompous fellow felt even more meaningful than a lot of other buddy stories may be; and there were some very funny moments. I thought guns were completely unnecessary however, i start to realize that there is a whole Terminator-2-esque (i think that is the right Terminator movie) theme of wanting to be conquer evil without killing. However, there shouldn't be killing in a kids movie. Spy themes for kids shouldn't have it be themed around weapons. It was simply too violent. My seven year old got overwhelmed by about midway through the movie, even though she liked it overall. I also agreed that the '50 shades of yay" was super duper inappropriate and not funny even for adults (no laughter in the theater, that wasn't just me thinking that). I also thought the nudity and the finger in the pigeon's privates was not okay. I did think the potty humor around the pigeon going actual potty was funny. So, in summary, good movie, not great; common sense's review is too young. it is more geared to 10 and up.

Parent of a 9-year-old Written byThe Gatekeeper January 9, 2020

Fun family film

To those reviewers saying the PG rating needs to be changed for this movie I disagree strongly.....PG means "parental guidance" which means movies with this rating may not always be suitable for individual children, or meet the requirements of certain families. Our whole family (including 9 year old twins) went to see this movie and we all enjoyed it. It was action packed and, although it included violence, the whole point of the movie was that if you "fight fire with fire" or use violence to combat violence, you only perpetuate more hatred and violence. There is always another way. The main character Walter didn't fit in, was considered weird, but still stuck to his principles even though he knew he was the odd one out. The females in the movie were strong and resourceful. Yes there is nudity....my kids went "ewww' when they saw the bad guys butt but I don't think it caused them any psychological damage and they weren't impressed by the beeped out curse word however we just agreed that it wasn't necessary (we don't use that language ourselves) and talked about the more positive messages in the movie. It sparked a great conversation which we were only able to have because of the issues raised in the movie. Oh and did I mention it was action packed and a lot of fun...... We'll be watching this one again!

Adult Written byDdaisy December 29, 2019

Forgettable

The movie could have been a comedy, if it was written better. There was a weird message that we humans should fight violent criminals with images of kittens. My daughter and I left the movie blank; no feeling at all. It was like we never went, right after we went. There was no conversation about funny or clever parts, or great characters. Dull. Empty. Poorly done.

Adult Written byperidot2908 January 25, 2020

Spies in disguise is in the skies

H
Adult Written byhyhdujshj January 21, 2020

Pigeon warfare depicts evil future

In the movie, Spies in disguise, pigeons overpower the humans and take control. This depicts an evil future where pigeons rule and everyone has aids, from the pigeons of course. Every sharpen your knifes and load your guns and aim for those pigeons before it's to late. But overall pretty good graphics.

Parent of a 4 and 7-year-old Written byGabrielle1 January 19, 2020

Overall quite bland but beware the violence

This was an impromptu choice to take our 7 and 4.5 year old because couldn’t get tickets to either of our first choices in movies. I regret the 4.5 year old seeing this to be honest because of the dark, genuine fear the main terrorist inspires. It’s not ‘kid level villainy’ like Descpicable Me’s stealing the moon - it’s mass murder and repetitive punching, shooting (some in slow motion so you really get the detail), constant guns and knives and robot assassins. Although you don’t see death on screen it’s everywhere - including the the dangling and dropping of an innocent man off a cliff top. Horrifying stuff and just because it’s animated shouldn’t make it less so.
The overall messages are great - teamwork, being true to yourself, sticking to your personal values even when it’s not cool, not being arrogant, violence not being the answer- but the characters are fairly bland which diluted these great messages in the face of such violence and complicated villains with burned off faces (the villain reveals his massively disfigured face at one point that is hidden by a ‘mask’) and a robot eye and hand.
Our 7 year old we have been able to talk through what he saw and what worries him and is about what we saw but the 4.5 year old has no way to process things so outside her experience so I’m very regretful for putting this in her head. Once again I’m amused at reviews that care about a bottom so much they’re reviewing it badly for ‘nudity’ and yet don’t have a problem with mass death via guns. The few seconds of bottom from a man that just got out of the bath and dropped his towel was light relief. It’s not sexualised at all and I don’t even recall alcohol being drunk like another review mentioned so it’s hardly a theme or a regular occurrence.
There’s little value for under 10 and absolutely no way for under 6 as what’s there is violent and upsetting.

Adult Written byYoMama1894 January 17, 2020

Inappropriate

I think Spies In Disguise is a great movie. But not safe for a kid to watch before age 18. There is blood, death, and tons of sexual scenes. Also the villains gigantic bottom is shown on screen. And that guy's bottom is huge. Fantastic flim but 18+.

Parent of a 11-year-old Written bygeleitsmann January 15, 2020

Fun and funny

Will Smith as a pigeon is absolutely great. As usual, there are some adult referenced jokes, but overall it's a good time. It also has a good message: there aren't good or bad people, just people.

Parent of a 5-year-old Written bypjeansandoval January 12, 2020

Not okay for younger kids

I took my 5 year old daughter to see this movie. The previews made it look funny & quirky but I didn't expect so much violence and such a scary villain. The story line was okay but the weapons, gambling, nudity were not okay for younger ones. My daughter, who is usually not scared by anything, asked to leave because it was too scary.

Adult Written byCtcamom January 11, 2020

Walked out

We were looking for an outing for our 5 and 10 year olds. Our family is tolerant of most cartoons. In the first few minutes of this movie there was extreme violence, weapons, drinking, etc. We walked out and went bowling.

Adult Written byHotmama79 January 10, 2020

Most enjoyable movie

I took my kids and their friends to this movie, as my kids were begging to go to see it. I thought it looked funny, but did not expect too much and was pleasantly surprised to find that I greatly enjoyed every minute of the movie. I found myself laughing harder than I have in a movie, certainly a cartoon movie, in a very long time. I see a lot of movies with my kids so I have a fairly high expectation, and this movie had the perfect combo of humor, creativity, a unique story line and heart warming lessons. This is a movie that I would purchase for our family to enjoy over and over again, and I have been recommending it to my friends and their kids.
Parent Written byVeena N. January 5, 2020

Movie with a message!

I really enjoyed that one of the positive messages was that you don't have to use violence in order to protect people. Walter and Lance were complete opposites and they helped each other to be better. The main message is that it's okay to be different. At some times I feel like it was a little slow and I was less engaged in it. It wasn't educational, but that's not a problem. It's definitely not for little kids though because there was some violence. Otherwise I thought it was a great movie!