Kid reviews for Spirited

Spirited: Movie Poster

I did really like this movie, it was funny and had a great plot, but the need to burst out into song every, like, five minutes was a little interesting. It was still really funny, and would definitely recomend for a Christmas movie night! As long as you can handle all the bursting into song every five minutes.

2 people found this helpful.

Powerful messages in this joyful holiday musical!

I was blown away by some of the topics approached in Spirited. It explores redemption in an unusual depth for Hollywood and tackles many other cultural issues. The music is fun and catchy throughout, and the humor gives a few laughs. There's some language in here, but nothing too hard for a 12-year-old. Sexual content is limited to jokes and references, though they are plentiful. Most of them should pass right over kids' heads. Basically no violence. A man catches on fire but it's comedic and he doesn't seem to be in pain. Some scary creatures but it's also treated comedically. This movie holds many inspiring and educational messages and would be a great holiday watch for older families. 4/5 stars and 12+ for some language and sexual references.

2 people found this helpful.

Great messages; has some suicidal themes

This is a great adaptation of “A Christmas Carol” in my opinion. It’s somewhat vulgar (words like “hell”, “damn”, “sh*t”, “b*tch” etc are used frequently, as well as sexual innuendo) but if you’re gonna watch a PG-13 movie with your kids you should expect that type of thing. Personally the biggest “sexual” I noticed is (sPoiLer aLeRt) Ghost of Christmas Past makes a joke about flirting with someone, and how she let things “go on from there” or something like that. Personally I think the biggest thing to watch out for your kids is the implied suicide of a 12-13 year old boy, who supposedly kills himself after being harassed and bullied online. Overall great movie with a great message, just make sure to have a talk about suicide and cyber bullying with kids before you watch it if you haven’t already.

1 person found this helpful.

Great messages, suggests the ripple effect of your actions, but a tiny bit mature

Great spin on the classic tale. If your child is exposed to bad language at places like a middle school, there should not be anything surprising to them. In the first third or so, there are a few bad words that get cut off by another character, but as you get later in, they remove that censorship. The worst line that I can think of is "If you're short then you can kiss my dickens son". It is intended to be a mildly inappropriate reference to Charles Dickens, and again, the song is paused and they review that maybe that wasn't the best idea. Oh, in case I forgot to mention, this is a musical with many different styles of music. On the bright side, there are lots of funny moments, racial representation, and the general message is that your actions create a ripple effect on your life. Overall, this movie is a great family watch, and I have been listening to the music non-stop. Highly reccomend

A new christmas classic

This is definitely the best Dickens reimagining it may just be because i love musicals but this one of my family's favorite movies. Its better if you go into the movie not knowing what its about so my recommendation is to not watch trailers or anything like that. Some of the songs and story in general is just so uplifting. We were very shocked at the ending. It left off on a bittersweet note but this is a must watch.

1 person found this helpful.

Good movie, needs better rating

This movie was hilarious! I loved the whole thing! However, it shouldn’t be for kids 13 or younger. It has a lot of things that younger kids shouldn’t see/hear.

PLEASE WATCH ITS SO GOOD

LOVED THIS MOVIE! It’s sooo much fun and has great messages, it’s HILARIOUS, and surprisingly tackles some other subjects such as teen suicide. There’s some inappropriate jokes and innuendo but it makes it all the more hysterical. If you’re okay with swearing and want to watch a heartwarming movie with your pre-teens and up, I would highly recommend this one around the holidays.

1 person found this helpful.

Pretty good, funny movie!

An OK movie that just gets worse as it goes along

This was a huge disappointment for me. I am a huge fan of Will Ferrell and Ryan Reynolds and I love musicals and I also don't know what I was thinking. Will Ferrell and Ryan Reynolds screech like eagles when they sing and not a single member of this cast can sing. The jokes, when they are there are fine, but if your funniest joke is good afternoon, you know it's not good. And even I, a person who loves rom-coms, did not like the unnecessary romantic subplots because there was no chemistry. People seem to be having ordinary conversations with love music in the background. It can't figure out what movie it wants to be, and it could have been just a comedy, just a musical, just a drama. It could have had a poignant scene where someone commits suicide, but the suicide was glossed over too quickly, and could be triggering to people who have thought about committing suicide. The ending was too sweet for the vibe of the rest of the movie. If you want an actually funny Christmas Carol adaptation, watch Scrooged. It's so much better. SEX: 3/10 (Romance and implied sex) LANGUAGE: 4/10 (About 20 swears total including d--k and s--t) VIOLENCE: 3/10 (Implied suicide and a creepy demon threatening to kill someone is in the opening scene)

Cameos such as Judi Dench and Buddy, Ghost of Christmas Future body-slamming people, and Ryan Reynolds owning a company that sponsors conflict top the so-so Christmas movies of 2022

Well, let me start by saying that the reason this isn't 11+, and why for some people it should be 13+, is because child suicide is implied. It's not graphic, though. They just have a subplot about social media, where someone posts something embarrassing online and is cyber-bullied. Then the memorial of that person is shown and it's easy to connect the dots. But, spoiler alert, in the end they manage to prevent it. Otherwise, super hilarious. Has literal connections to other Will Ferrell movies such as Elf. Lots of bad language, and in a scene set in the 1820s they make fun of how rude and proud people could be, and interpreted the phrase "good afternoon" as **** you. That was funny, though. But yes, there is a lot of inappropriate stuff, Present has Clint reach under his shirt to scratch an itch that has become unbearable, Clint's older sister is shown in the hospital with cancer, which she will eventually die of. As children, the main characters are constantly abused by their drunk mother, who even as an adult is only nice to them if she is drinking alcohol. It is implied that Clint and Past slept together, people stick up the middle finger, Future is obsessed with catchphrases such as, "You just got Christmas caroled, b---h!" Someone accidentally sticks up the middle finger in front of a baby, someone gets hit by a truck, Clint and Present get body-slammed, Clint gets picked up by the crotch, ext.