Parent reviews for Star Wars: Clone Wars

Frantic, noisy 'toon shorts from Skywalker saga.

Parent Written byCarl G. August 11, 2016

Great stuff... but not for little kids

The hand drawn CLONE WARS shorts in this collection preceded the digitally animated CLONE WARS television show by five years. Originally commissioned by Cartoon Network, they were meant to be very brief, action-oriented shorts featuring characters from the STAR WARS prequels, in advance of the release of Episode III. The work in the Tartovsky style (SAMURAI JACK, POWER PUFF GIRLS) is terrific and beautiful. The shorts are thin on plot, and heavy on action and violence. Two important characters in the STAR WARS saga were introduced here for the first time: General Grevious (who, unlike his Episode III depiction, is rendered as genuinely terrifying) and Assaj Ventress. There is no blood, per se, but there is a lot of violence and grotesque imagery. In one sequence, Ventress dispatches a clone battalion by using the force to throw their bodies around like rag dolls, smashing them on rocks and trees and crushing them under objects. Obi-Wan defeats a bounty hunter called Durge by exploding him from the inside, coating the room with his pink, alien innards. In the 2nd volume, Anakin helps a race of peaceful aliens that the Separatists have multilated and tranformed into hulking, deformed monsters theough medical experiments. He is able to rescue them but not to transform them back, and they remain disturbingly deformed when he returns them to their village. The final sequence, in which Grevious kidnaps Palpatine, leads immediately into Episode III and is genuinely thrilling, but several Jedi are cut down in the process. My kids are all under 8 and kind of sensitive, so we have watched some vignettes, but have skipped most of this. I think it's fine for anybody over the age of 10. Families can talk about Anakin's penchant for emotionalism and rage, and the bad outcomes that result. Also, the bravery of the Jedi knights facing overwhelming odds in battle for a just cause. I think discussing the way that the Nelvaanians welcome their family members home, their horribly-mutilated bodies notwithstanding, is worthwhile too.

Adult Written byblovely May 5, 2019

Gendy Tartakovsky At His Best

This show was done around the same time that Gendy Tartakovsky was doing work on Dexter’s Lab and the original Powerpuff Girls series. The animation style was so good that it’s the obvious inspiration for the eventual (and now finally getting it’s conclusion thanks to Disney+) Clone Wars series. There were a lot of holes filled in between Episodes 2 and 3 of the movies between these and the next Clone Wars series. All in all, definitely a watch for any true fan even if they’re not considered canonical anymore (at least I’m thinking they’re not).

Adult Written byrebma97 December 30, 2015

Nostalgic shorts

I remember watching this on Boomerang when I was a kid. They're definitely not as in-depth as the 2008 Clone Wars series, but they're fun little shorts. Violence: Lots of action, but it's bloodless, and as far as I remember, no major characters die. It's nowhere near as violent as The Clone Wars.