All member reviews for Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace

Kid-centric but violent prequel lacks originals' energy.

Age

Parent of a 4 year old Written bySarahS January 8, 2010

Not only the movie is bad, it is also woefully inappropriately for kids. Why is it that so many parents think otherwise, and expose their children to such violence and mature subjects since they are 4 or 5? It amazes me. This movie - as well as any other of the six made under the Star Wars name - should not be given to toddlers or tweens, no matter how much pressure they experience from peers.
Kid, 11 years old February 2, 2011

Really good, could be G actually.

If you've watched this movie you know Jar-Jar made it the worst of the genius saga. Still an amazing movie. The least violent of the saga too. Iffy for 4+. Possible it could be G.
Parent Written bymoviemomma911 September 25, 2010

Great movie

Even with a lot of violence, it is very obviously just fantasy with not many real life references. It's easy to explain to my child the difference between real and fantasy with this movie. It also opens up the imagination.
Parent Written by900621 February 17, 2012

Bloodless violence, but still very kid friendly with a good ending.

As a long time Star Wars fan, Phantom Menace happens to be one of my favorite of the prequels, and the 3D and digitial reproduction made it look very real on the big screen. At first I didn't like Jar Jar, now I do. I even laughed at his antics this time around. The only part I can't stand is Shmi's (actress's) terrible acting when Anakin leaves Tatooine. "What does your heart tell you?" I'll take Jar Jar any day over her acting any day. Thing is I grew up on Star Wars. I saw A New Hope when I was 5, it did give me a few nightmares (it played in the theater for a whole YEAR) but I loved it. I couldn't get enough of Luke, Leia, and Han. SW: PM ep1 in 3D just finally "felt" like Star Wars for a change. Yeah, there's violence, but it's for the sake of the plot line, a very large plot line. And as a kid, adult, and now a father. Violence to me, isn't an issue (which is pretty much bloodless in this movie anywa), it's use of language and sexual images in my mind, that's the most harmful. My kids watch ORIGINAL Tom & Jerry, and the original Bugs and Daffy cartoon, and Transformers (80's cartoon) and the new (cough,crap) like Cailou, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, etc. They love it. It's just fun. They don't try to recreate it. And they are learning TV is not real. I was wanting to take my girl to see this in theater, but we had a ballet conflict and she couldn't go. Glad I could see it in the theater again, and this time with a positive outlook instead of a negative attitude (I did NOT like it when I saw it back in 1999 - it's really grown on me). Read the novels...Palpatine's Sith master was alive during the time, and a major turning point happened in the Force during Obi Wan and Darth Maul's fight. Notice how Palpatine didn't even take any notice of Anakin until the very last scene... by name, no less. The characters even show disgust at Jar Jar's rudeness, which also be a learning point for younger kids. It is a good movie, and the prequels were made with kids in mind, so much as a profit from the toys... but still. Episode I has a spot in my heart in the whole saga now. Can't wait for the next one in 3D.
Kid, 11 years old January 21, 2011

Parent of a 4 year old Written bykcgunesq December 19, 2011

A solid member of the best movie franchise ever.

Certainly not the best of franchise, but compared to movies generally, it shines. Our four year old can be a bit sensitive, but nothing in any the six movies bothered him in the least, and they are now among his favorites. He dressed as an x-wing fighter pilot for Halloween. He refused to be Darth Vader or any of the "bad guys". The entire series will long continue as features on our weekly "movie-pizza" night (that doesn't always involve pizza, but does include a movie). To me, this is a perfect specimen of "PG" movies. As long as parents are on hand to answer questions and explain the issues raised (good vs evil, etc), it is fine for the whole family.
Parent Written byPlague March 2, 2010

Star Wars: Episode l: The Phantom Menace

Kids will love it. Cool graphics, with an epic, but kind plot.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTIE41 February 7, 2015

The Best Place to start

This is a spectacular movie, even though its geared more for kids, adults and teens might hate jar jar binks, plus I think this is the least violent of the whole saga. But overall a good movie to get your kid hooked on the Star Wars saga
Teen, 13 years old Written byIsaac T October 4, 2014

Two stars? Give me a break!

I loved this movie! Not too violent, to say the least. The only "dark" moment I can think of is Qui-Gon's death. Also, a 9-year-old is whisked into battle against his will, but the scene is mostly played out as amusing, not disturbing. I just don't understand why people hate it so much. If any Star Wars movie is weak, it's II. Also, what is it with Matt Springer and Star Wars?
Kid, 10 years old November 10, 2011

just fine

darth maul might be a little scary for younger kids
Teen, 13 years old Written byMovieGuy23 June 12, 2011

Not the best prequel

I am a huge fan of both George Lucas and the Star Wars phoenomenon. The Phantom Menace was lacking for me. The special effects were good, great even and it was mildly enjoyable on a no-brainer level, but the story really never reaches anything that we care about. The question I believe Lucas is trying to answer by making these prequels is how the young jedi named Anakin grew into the merciless evil figure known as Darth Vader. The movie basically serves as only the starting line to the true fun that is yet to come in the prequels. Note to parents: The movie contains some pretty intense violence, including a man being chopped in half. Yet most of it is glazed over and ok for tweens and even younger kids.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySpielberg00 May 29, 2011

Pretty slow-moving at times, but otherwise, great.

My rating: PG for sci-fi action/violence.
Kid, 10 years old November 21, 2010

epicly amazing movie

my favorite star wars movie darth maul is my favorite star wars character this movie is awesomly cool superiorly well thought out amazing epic movie
Kid, 9 years old August 17, 2010

Cool

It's awesome. It's cool. I like the battle when they fight Darth Maul, even when Qui-Gon Jinn dies, and the fighting with the Gungans vs. the droids.
Kid, 6 years old December 14, 2008

OK for 8+

this movie is no more scary then the other star wars. I recommend it but a lot was boring.
Teen, 16 years old Written byanime_freak004 April 9, 2008
Parent of a 12 year old Written byTsion April 9, 2008
Teen, 13 years old Written byChickemax July 25, 2015

Jar-Jar Binks (need I say more?) is the worst Star Wars character ever. (Possibly instead of boss Nass?). Darth maul could be scary to younger kids and the gungans might appeal to younger kids. Violence is average for Star Wars, except for the fact that someone gets chopped in half. No language but the implied romance between 14 year old Padmé (who looks in her 20s) and 9 year old anakin is disturbing. Bad acting on Anakins part
Teen, 16 years old Written bycbar04 July 14, 2015

okay movie

It's my least favorite out of the six star wars movies. I've watched it maybe once or twice because it's not entertaining. It's fine for younger kids who want to watch Star Wars but are too young to watch the other, more intense prequels. Overall it's a fine movie for younger kids. There might be one or two scenes that are a little scary but nothing too scary or intense.
Teen, 13 years old Written byDarthVaderfanboy2002 June 5, 2015

Annoying, unfunny and bad dialog.

There are TONS of cartoon characters ment for LITTLE kids in this movie. One of them is actually a main character and he is very annoying and played for COMEDY. The HULL movie is a comedy if you beleave it or not! The main cartoon character even steps in POOP! It's hard too beleave a Star Wars movie is this cherished when only a few years later George Lucas made a dark PG-13 rated Star Wars movie. I do not you get this movie for yourself. Even on blu-ray. I do suggest you get it for your kid if he or she likes Star Wars and is 2-5 years old though. Bearly any people die. Even the villains are just robots in THIS STAR WARS MOVIE.