Parent reviews for Star Wars: Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

Anakin moves to the dark side in moody, graphic sequel.

Adult Written bycoolkid007 September 5, 2013

definetly fourteen and up

Awesome movie but contains the most restrictive rating for the series:
PG-13. Anikan almost kills his wife though not graphically. Lightsabers cauterize wounds so theres no blood until the ending. Anakin is shown on fire and then in an extremely graphic scene of him climbing up a mountain slope tih one hand. It is extremely graphic. The darth vader transformation may disturb little ones as well as big kids. Also there is a matitial bed scene and kissing.

Adult Written byamheusser April 9, 2008

Are you kidding?!

I can't believe there has been no outrage over the issue of Anakin killing frightened children!!!! The scene was left intentionally vague, but then was clarified several times, just in case you weren't sure. Why not just have him blow up the Jedi temple, without getting specific about who was in there?

Otherwise, the good/evil message was a little mixed - it was interesting that they showed atrocities in the name of 'galactic peace.'
Adult Written byOliviaReviewsIt January 23, 2020

The Galactic Empire Begins

This is the most heart-wrenching Star Wars film, and one that doesn't end on a very joyous note. It is at long last revealed that a Sith lord has gained control of the Senate, hiding right under the Jedi's noses for many years. This movie contains some of the most epic fights in all of Star Wars. It is a truly phenomenal movie, the best Star Wars movie ever created. At long last, Anakin becomes the man he was destined to be, and the most powerful Jedi and Sith face off in a battle that will decide the fate of the galaxy. Violence: Senator Palpatine's war with Mace Windu, and the electrocution scene that leaves him deformed is quite intense, as is the scene where Palpatine confers on Anakin the title of a Sith apprentice. Darth Sidious (Palpatine) orders the clones to kill all the Jedi, leaving only Obi-Wan and Yoda to survive. Darth Vader (Anakin) goes to the Jedi Temple to slay innocent young padawans (not shown onscreen but disturbing nonetheless). Anakin turns against Padme, force-choking her, his descent to the dark side fully complete by this point. Anakin get his lower half chopped off fighting Kenobi, and is seen being burned alive onscreen with Obi-Wan emotionally destroyed at the loss of a "brother". Sexual content: While there is a scene of Anakin sleeping with Padme, there is nothing sexual about it. They do kiss on-screen in one scene. Language: not applicable.

Adult Written byJean Kristine F. August 28, 2017

Disturbing for young ages

The story is good, too good but there are scenes that are inappropriate and can totally affect and disturb the minds of the young audiences like Anakin killing younglings and the scene where Anakin was burned. The graphic scenes are too violent for the children to handle. But somehow, it shows moral lessons that can be explained to children such as avoid the temptations of evil, do not let it lead you astray from the path of goodness.

Adult Written byLowe's man March 31, 2017

a great teaching moment

The Jedis didn't think that Anakin Skywalker was worthy of leadership. Yet Anakin Skywalker was power-hungry. That's why he turned to the Dark Side and became Darth Vader. A great way for parents to teach their children about how power can potentially corrupt. While this movie is more intense than the other Star Wars movies and may be too much for younger fans of the franchise, it isn't anything that 10 year olds haven't already seen. This is a movie they should see.
Parent of a 6-year-old Written bymark4180 March 13, 2016

Parent of 6 year old girl

Best of the prequels and one of the best of the series. My six year old daughter loved it and wasn't scared. She is a Star Wars fan though and I can see more sensitive children being scared. Out of the seven films it is by far the darkest.
Parent of a 11 and 13-year-old Written byMandM mama July 14, 2015

Complex Themes

I think this movie is mildly violent but does have complex messages about government and character development that may make it confusing for a younger child, I recommend it for kids 9 and up. Parent's should know that some characters are maimed and or killed but there is no blood and all the death happens off-screen.

Adult Written byMychemicalstinkpants February 5, 2011

anikain is a evil

way too violent

Parent of a 13-year-old Written byohya August 8, 2010

10x more violent than the others.

this movie is not rated PG like the others. its rated PG-13.

Adult Written byAlphaZK93 July 20, 2010

The Star Wars Finale is great for High Schoolers and up, but may be too violent for younger audiences

Star Wars III is probably George Lucas's greatest Star Wars film ever created. It's the one movie that every SW junky knew the ending to, but still coulnd't believe what they saw. The movie was a bit more violent than the previous SW films. Among noticeable scenes are Mace Windu deflecting lightning from Palpatine, Darth Vader's killing off of the Trade Federation, and his incineration. There is also once scene where Anakin is shown igniting his lightsaber in front of scared Jedi children, although it cuts before it shows any "action." It is merely implied he kills them off. The scene may be too emotionally intense for younger children.

Parent Written bynnnddd January 13, 2010

Come on parents, it's not Dark Knight or anything!

Great movie, my son saw it when he was 9 years old, no problemo.
Adult Written byjul29 April 9, 2008

Caution : Violent

This movie was so much more violent than the oth SW movies & the fact that Darth Vadar actually kills children is terrible. Definitely not a movie for children & only children who are a mature 13 & over should see it.
Adult Written byLachlan Doe June 1, 2020

Great

Shows the importance of not turning to evil in the face of darkness.

Written byAnonymous April 22, 2020

My favorite Star Wars movie

I watched this when I was three or fours years old, and I wasn't disturbed or traumatized at all.

Sure, its violent, but its got to convey the terror of the story somehow. Star Wars is well know for being sex-free and still enjoyable, which is a hard feat.

Its fine to show your children, it is without a doubt the best one and is much, much better than the new trilogy released over the past decade.

Adult Written bypottergirl32 February 3, 2020

HORRIFYING

my son is 11 and he's seen stuff with dead bodies,limb cutting etc.. he also has seen all the other star wars movies and he has never covered his eyes or cried and he was covering them at the end... the movie itself is really good and without the ending my son said he'd watch it again. If you decide to watch this movie I would suggest you do this: 1. watch A new hope, the empire strikes back and return of the jedi FIRST 2. once you get to the lightsaber duel on the lava planet SKIP THROUGH IT it's the part where Anikin burns and gets his legs cut off it's is horrifying in all honesty the end movie is more like for 15 year old's. there are two other scenes with "burnt Anikin" so if you start to see evidence he'll be in the scene SKIP THROUGH IT.

Adult Written by123456789 December 26, 2019
This is the best Star Wars movie ever made but is violent and dark. There is lightsaber and blaster Fights. There are mass murders and heads and legs are chopped off. It’s ok for 12 and up.

Adult Written byFatstormtrooper December 13, 2019

My fav

My favourite Star Wars film
You see someone burning in lava
no sex scenes just kissing

Adult Written byGappies June 22, 2019

Amazing movie, but dark. More mature than the other films.

A great movie. Definitely my favourite Star Wars movie. Epic battles, good quotes, just an amazing movie in general.

Violence: 3/5 A person gets decapitated although filmed from far away, a cyborg's organs held by strings get revealed and he gets shot multiple times by a blaster before litting on fire. 3 Jedi get killed by a lightsaber. Someone's hand gets cut off, right before getting electrocuted and thrown out of the window. A scene shows multiple dead bodies lying on the ground. Someone ignites his lightsaber, about to kill younglings (not shown in the movie). A person gets his legs cut off and burns (almost) to death. He screams in agony while getting his body fixed.
Swearing: 0/5 "Blast" and "In the name of"
Sex: 1/5 Some kissing between two characters who are secretly married, a woman is giving birth before dying.
Drinking/drugs/smoking: 0/5 Nothing I can remember.

Adult Written byDrivadil May 2, 2019
Adult Written byPatrick M. February 15, 2019

I love it

This is personally my favorite Star Wars movie and I watched it in theaters when I was 5 so to all of you saying it's too emotionally intense and frightening for kids you don't know what your talking about