Parent reviews for Star Wars: Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

The best of the original series, but the most intense, too.

Adult Written byrolandobabel June 14, 2013

Nice action movie, with restrictions

It is an impressive movie, though not one with a clear ending. It has some scenes, not suited for small children: - darth vader kills/strangles someone at a distance - the confrontation of luke with a virtual darth vader where darth vaders head is sliced off and luke's face is visible, is kind of shocking for children - the suffering of Luke in the snow is quite dire. - the snow monster can be a shock - there is betrayal of Lando calrissian All in all a movie for children 8 years or older.

Parent of a 13 year old Written byohya August 8, 2010

great, but some mild violence

Parent Written bycamusa December 28, 2010

Parent of a 12 year old Written byTsion April 9, 2008

An Amazing, Engrossing Follow-up to an Amazing Epic!

THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK is arguably the best movie sequel ever. It really continues the plot of the original instead of just making up some dumb problem for the characters in order to make money. The visuals equal, if not top, the originals, and the cliffhanger you are left with is simply, well, cliffhanging. The second in the trilogy delves deeper into the characters, making them less stereotypical and giving them real fears, concerns, and hopes. It also reveals a shocking truth about Vader's connection to Luke. Violence is the only thing to be concerned about here. Guns and light-sabers are rampant, but the violence isn't realistic or bloody. People are shot and they fall without so much of a groan. That's all it is. No language, no sex, and no drugs. This really is a grand moviemaking spectacle. Even if your kids can't or won't watch it, you should. Highly recommended.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byResponsibleParent April 9, 2008
Adult Written byMi3 February 6, 2011

Adult Written byDUDES!!! October 2, 2011

Very good, but intense

Iffy for the youngest...

Adult Written byJean Kristine F. August 28, 2017

Thrilling but with mild inappropriate scenes

The movie plot twist gives a mind-blow to every audience, especially the scene where Vader reveals himself to be Luke's father and I've seen many bewildered reactions from children that also affects them. But there are some scenes that are not suitable for young minds, I doubt that they can handle it especially Vader's violent actions like when he cut off his own son's hand in their lightsaber duel, freezing Han Solo into carbonite and strangling an officer because of a simple failure or incompetence. And also scenes includes kissing and swearing are not appropriate for kids and these can teach them bad behavior also. But nevertheless, the story plot is good. Characters teach moral lessons such as value the people you cared about and especially Yoda's teachings about good and evil.

Adult Written byMichael Loughrie February 21, 2016

Made by a bad director, but still a masterpiece

This is the best Star Wars movie of all time. Probably the best movie ever, or one of the best movies ever, totally recommended!

Adult Written byCheescake.eater2016 February 19, 2016

Strikes

The movie is the best movie of the sound is ear dropping. At no point in the movie the sound was never quite. Even as different characters I mean each character had a specific kind of theme that played whenever the spotlight was on them. I enjoyed the movie more better when the sounds went with the movie. As the thrilling movement made me part of the movie but just watched as it played out. Each character had its own theme and so you know who was in the ship. I've watched nearly all the movies but every time I enjoy watching the movie. Each scenes was perfectly made by the director, props to him. As one scene when the ship was moving side to side didn't actually look real. It just looked like the ship was just moving side to side. The favorite part:when Skywalker had faced Vader but skywalker lose but never died. The killer part was when they ended to movie when the ship had got away from Vaders ship.

Adult Written byQmorgan408 February 19, 2016

The Perfect Sound

During the movie families will see a lot of action because this part of the Star Wars trilogy is very important due to the sound effects of the of each scene and each CGI tech of each scene. Within the movie you'll notice a lot of different sounds that portrays to each scene or thing in the movie such as tie fighters and the X-wings of the movies how it shoots its blasters and the sounds of it soaring the air as if it's going over your head and how it shows the sounds of dagobah planet and creatures and the errieness of the planet as well. All in all this is an amazing film and families will love it just as much as I did.
Parent of a 8, 12, and 16 year old Written by[email protected] January 25, 2016

A violent movie for an 8 year old

I'm 8 yeas old and Empire Strikes back is violent but is not bloody or gory. There's signs of human weakness and beloved old characters from the prequels. In all, I loved it!
Adult Written by@@@ December 23, 2011

Screw Avatar--this is way better!!!

This is definitely one of the best action movies ever. The action, despite the fact that it isn't as flashy as in modern films, is hundreds of times more exciting. Also, the plot isn't built purely upon action. There's more depth in the script. It isn't just a few skimpy lines of dialogue stuffed with comedy like Transformers. This movie has everything that could be asked for in its genre. I don't think that I can say anything bad about this film. A real classic.

Parent Written byPlague March 2, 2010

Star Wars: Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

My favorite Star Wars movie hands down. The family will love this film.

Adult Written byalexrollin April 9, 2008
Parent of a 1, 8, 9, and 14 year old Written bythejokerspencil January 29, 2009

Original Saga is the Best

This is the best of the best probably the best of movies to.
Parent Written byMoviecriticdude101 January 22, 2018

best ever

not as lighthearted as original but still great my rating PG grade A+

Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byHendo H. U December 26, 2017

What’s the big deal?

Why do all the adults say it’s so good,not so good. Maybe a four star, three and a half.

Adult Written byAlbert K. December 17, 2017
Adult Written byPaul V. February 8, 2017

The incredible dark sequel; why kids should watch it

I would do a normal review of this film, but honestly, everyone has talked to death about the first six Star Wars movies, and soon the same may apply for the new Disney-made trilogy currently in the works. What I want to talk about is why I agree with the relatively low age rating for this movie. For a movie with dark, limb-severingly intense situations, how does it just gain a year on A New Hope, at least as far as CSM is concerned? The original movie was no cakewalk. It had some impactful character deaths and the obliteration of an entire populated planet, though only seen from space. Though there are few major deaths in Empire, tone accounts for everything here. The story has shifted from one of adventure to one of survival, as the rebels and our heroes are forced to flee the Empire's forces time and time again, from the bleak atmosphere of Hoth to the black reaches of an asteroid field and the clean halls of Cloud City. The majority of the second act is spent in dark environments, the swamp planet Dagobah and Outer Space, the latter including an asteroid field with a dark mysterious cave on one of the asteroids. This is all just to set the mood, though. The dark and foreboding atmosphere is just here to accentuate the darker story, which like I said before includes more limb removal. The first film had a single example, this one has two, though I can't recall if the original cut has both of them. One of them, which is in all cuts I can think of, is much more serious than the other ones that we see in the series. There is also a decapitation included in an intense scene in another cave. While a lot of the rest of the gang's travels are very much in a similar tone to the original, Luke and R2's experiences on Dagobah range involve a lot of introspection and philosophy, due to the nature of Luke's training and unexpected trials. Things never get too slow, though, and things pick up in the third act, where a few characters get incapacitated in some very unsettling ways, and Luke gets into a tense battle with the main villain, where he ends up not only injured, but suffers serious emotional turmoil. In the end, not only is not everything resolved, but the audience is left with some deep and dark questions to ponder while they wait to see Episode VI. This movie is much darker than Episode IV, but a lot of it is in tone, which is merely aesthetic. Still, some elements could be very distressing for very young children. It seems like this movie would be on a very much different level from New Hope, perhaps two or three years older instead of one. However, lots of kids are going to like the first movie, and if they know there are more, they'll want to see them. Above all, however, this movie is a unmatched classic. It's so iconic and complex, that it has to be seen at as young an age as possible so that it can make its impact properly. One can watch for the first time as an adult, and still appreciate the quality of the movie, but to see it at a young age, and continue to see it as you age, and have your viewpoint mature, is the best possible way to experience it. Its intense situations and may seem like a lot for some kids, but frankly, this is the perfect film to transition them to the darker stuff.