Parent and Kid Reviews on

Our Review

Based on 39 parent reviews

Sort by:

Best Star Wars movie ever

It is a great Star Wars movie but the only problem I have with it is the scenes in Jabba the Hutt's palace. So if you do not want to see any violent scenes skip to the part when they leave Tatooine, the planet where Jabba the Hutt lives. Also, you might be scared of the emperor's face and the face of Darth Vader after Luke removes Darth Vader's helmet. And there is an ewok that dies, but there is no blood, but it is still sad. So it is a great Star Wars movie, but I think you should be 9 or more to watch the entire movie.

A great ending...oh wait...6 more films

I saw this film first in the trilogy when it was released on cable sometime in 1984. I was 9 years old and was the prime age to fall hard for all of these characters and wants nothing more than to be sucked into this world. I did not have anything to compare it to sooooo I loved ALL OF IT! Ewoks? Yep! Jabba the Hut...Ok! The Emperor and his maximum creep factor...sign me up! The film still holds allure. I recently saw it on the big screen for the 2nd time with my 7 year old and there was cheering from his seat where he was perched at the edge waiting to see the Empire defeated and Darth Vader's fate. It ended a story we didn't really want to end and it brought closure to character arcs that we clearly did not want sealed. The film feels good, still, 40 years later.

Too much skin

The first 35 minutes have way too much gratuitous skin, it's really a shame. We skipped the harem dance minutes 12-15 and even the entire 15 scene where Leia fights and kills Jabba because it's just not what I want in my kids' subconscious - not the body parts and not the degradation of women. After that the movie was great the kids were pealing with laughter over and over, really enjoyed it.

Would show to kids!

This is a great movie about heroes vs villains with role models, great messages, and minimal violence. The worst part, I would say, is that one main female character, named Leia, and one side character both wear revealing clothing, the latter having one breast slip out on accident, but no nudity is shown. Leia is forced to wear it and changes later, but it may not be appropriate for youngest viewers.

1 person found this helpful.

An uneven but satisfying finale to the epic space opera trilogy.

As I have mentioned previously, Star Wars is a classic example of a consistent movie trilogy. Each of the three movies skillfully narrate the story, and deliver the events the way the audience would want them to, making it a brilliant example of a three-part story structure. Overall, I thought Return Of The Jedi was an extremely satisfying conclusion to the original Star Wars trilogy. It seemed to fit the whole Star Wars story well. the However, it is not as engaging and does not have quite the intensity as its predecessor, The Empire Strikes Back. George Lucas stated in an interview what he found to be the true meaning of his Star Wars story. He said it was supposed to be a tale of fathers and sons. Anyone who has seen The Empire Strikes Back will understand his statement better. At the end of the movie (spoiler alert): Darth Vader reveals to Luke that he is actually his father, much to Luke’s surprise. Before then, no one knew why Darth Vader was so fixated on hunting down Luke. Once George Lucas revealed his true meaning to his Star Wars movies, I saw the genius in his work and it made me appreciate the movies better. But this particular installment, Return Of The Jedi takes his father-and-son tale to a whole new level. In Return Of The Jedi, the Galactic Empire is in the process of building a brand-new, much more powerful version of the Death Star. The story begins when Princess Leia unfreezes Han Solo from the carbonite but is captured by Jabba the Hutt afterwards. After Luke Skywalker eventually escapes with his friends, he visits Yoda, who is gravely ill, to complete his training. The last thing he tells Luke is that he needs to face off against Darth Vader and The Emperor (played by Ian McDiarmid) one last time. Luke then accepts his word, but Yoda finally dies. Later on, Luke, Han and Leia travel to the forest planet Endor to fight against the Galactic Empire. Meanwhile, Lando Calrissian takes the rest of the Rebel Alliance on the Millennium Falcon on a journey to attack The Death Star. Luke eventually meets up with Darth Vader and the Emperor. The main drama in this movie is that Darth Vader and the Emperor are trying their absolute best to make Luke join the dark side, but Luke is strongly motivated to redeem Darth Vader, his father. There are plenty of things that are entertaining about this movie. The action sequences are especially good, particularly the spaceship battle and the speeder chase on the forest planet. The Mon Calamari aliens were also a nice addition to the movie, as their unique appearance is quite intriguing. But the strongest part of the movie story is the whole story arc of Luke and Darth Vader. The sheer intensity between the two is better than anything that could have happened in the first movie. However, the movie is uneven in certain spots. For example, most of the scenes in Jabba the Hutt’s prison are incredibly outdated. This is caused by the fact that half of the aliens in the prison look exactly like the Muppets! Also, while the Ewoks added some genuine comedy to the movie, the story spent a little too much time with them. The whole battle would have felt more intense if the Ewoks had less involvement. In summary, Return of the Jedi was 50% Muppet Show, and 50% epic space battle. By the way, I was initially disappointed that Yoda died so quickly. His character was my absolute favorite part of The Empire Strikes Back. He was funny, odd, and just downright entertaining. In this movie, he just appears in the one scene where Luke visits him and he just croaks after 5 minutes! Sort of a buzzkill if you ask me. As the acting performances go, all of the characters showed full development. Mark Hamill’s performance as Luke Skywalker is at his very best. His maturity is at his strongest, and at this moment, I finally found myself to fully relate with his character. His one and only motivation is to redeem his father and to refuse to powers of the dark side. James Earl Jones’ performance as Darth Vader, is as good as it always is. He is just as menacing as he was in the last episode, but this time his persistency is much stronger. His character arc is another thing that stands out in the movie, as it is structured in a flawless way. But the standout performance in the entire movie is Ian McDiarmid’s sinister, villainous role of Emperor Palpatine. Unlike Darth Vader, he has no forgiveness, sympathy, or any morals whatsoever. Palpatine is also incredibly antagonistic, as he repeatedly throws bait at Luke to join the dark side. His chilling voice and his monstrous appearance were absolutely perfect traits for the character. As expected, Return of the Jedi fits the PG rating it was given. The Emperor will likely scare younger kids, as will Jabba the Hutt and some of the other monsters in the beginning of the movie. As far as violence goes, it’s about the same level as The Empire Strikes Back. Except this time, it ends on a higher note. Sex is steered clear of, but some skin is shown in this movie. More details will appear in the parents guide. Language and substance abuse are completely avoided as usual. Parents guide: Violence: Like most of the movies, the carnage count is low. Some people are killed or injured by space blasters, lightsabers, or even explosions. A large Godzilla-like creature eats other aliens, some crunching is heard. Jabba the Hutt drops a female prisoner in a pit where she is devoured by a monster (this act is off-screen). Princess Leia strangles a giant monster with a metal chain. The Emperor electrocutes some characters, but some survive the process. Another arm dismemberment occurs in the final battle between Luke, Vader and Palpatine. When Darth Vader is finally unmasked, he looked like a scarred, grotesque version of Humpty Dumpty. Sex: No sex but some of the women in Jabba the Hutt’s prison wear skimpy clothing, and are seen dancing in a couple brief instances. After Princess Leia is imprisoned, she is forced to wear a bikini-like outfit. However, once she and the Rebel Alliance finish battling Jabba’s crew and escape to their ship, she goes back to modest clothing. Language: None. Substance Abuse: Jabba the Hutt smokes occasionally, and the Ewoks sometimes smoke a pipe. As usual, this should be the least of concerns for parents. Like the first two movies, I recommend Return of the Jedi. Once again, it is not as good as The Empire Strikes Back but it is more entertaining than the first movie. People who watched the first two movies will likely find this to be a fitting end to the original trilogy, just like I found it to be. On my rating scale, I would give this movie a solid 7.6 out of 10.

Disappointing treatment of women

Too many cuts without context that don't make sense so not suitable for children. Will help for you to pause and ask what is going on in the movie to help younger ones understand. We did this with our 6 year olds. It brings up serious topics like sex slavery that is confusing to children. Kids didn't understand why Leia was in a bikini and why Jabba wanted sexy ladies killed or 'licked'? TBH, I'm not really sure why Jabba wants humanoid ladies anyway? Surely he'd want frog ladies or whatever he is. A couple of times we had to pause the movie to explain a scene that had been missed out (e.g. Luke surrendering to the Republic), or scenes that weren't logical e.g. Jabba appearing after Leia helps Han.... why did Jabba wait to reveal himself? Surely he'd want to stop Leia before she released Han?? Also, why did Anakin show up as a young person instead of an older person in spirit version? The other 'spirits' are their older versions...Absolute BS. Anyway. Some stupid things that I guess the ewoks made up for, a little. Still disappointing with terrible female treatment and representation. As well as some scary and verbose bad-guys.

Best for older fans

This is my second favorite star wars movie and a few months ago my children wanted to watch the original trilogy with me and we watched episode 4 and 5 and while we were watching Return Of The Jedi, it seemed that was too mild for my children. (one is 6 and the other is 9) The first thing I noticed was that it was a bit too violent because my 6 year old cried when she saw the Ewoks die and other than that Darth Vader's hands get chopped off. Yes luke's hand got cut off too but I forgot about this part. The part where it shows Leia in a bikini is very random and too mild, It was very hard to explain this to my kids about why she is in such a revealing costume, the costume itself is very risky... mostly the bottom because you see her full leg, when it blows in the wind you almost see her bum and that bra is too loose. When she runs around it shakes and you see way too much you know what. Overall this is a good movie too watch with older kids.