All parent member reviews for Steel Magnolias

Adult Written bytechsuz April 9, 2008

Lots of language and inappropriate for young children

This PG movie would be PG-13 if it were made today. Lots of language, male nudity in locker room and other material. Definitely not suitable for young children.
Parent of a 1, 3, 12, and 16 year old Written byNikkiV May 12, 2009

great family movie

this is a great movie for families. definitely about building strong relationships and dealing with difficult situations in a positive way.
Educator and Parent Written byJared Galczynski June 30, 2014

Magnolia

Magnolia. I love the movie's title involving Magnolia, because I love the name Magnolia. (And, I saw this, anyway, when it first came out on TV). It's a good enough, family, film.
Parent Written bylovebug17 March 5, 2013

Heart teaching

I love this movie! it really helps you understand what parents go through when they have a child with an illness that can't be curried! For years i resented my dad for pulling the my brother off the machines but after i watch this movies since that moment it lets me see how hard it must have been for him. of course you can only feel so much of the pain that a true parents feel, but if that every happened to my son i would not be able to hold as strong as the mom did!!!
Educator and Parent Written byCommonSenseChristian May 3, 2015

A Sweet Southern Film With A Few Thorns

The ladies of Chinquapin Parish, LA - M'Lynn, her daughter Shelby, Truvy, Annelle, Clairee, and Ouiser - are a true combination of Southern sweetness and steel. With Shelby's wedding to Jackson Latcherie on the rise, the women have a lot to look forward to and plenty of laughs to share. They also share plenty of tender moments after Shelby's marriage, as Shelby and My'Lynn deal with some major medical upheaval. Shelby longs to have a baby, but her severe diabetes may cause life-threatening complications. The Latcheries' applications for adoption has been refused, so all the Magnolias must come together to support Shelby's final decision, painful as it may be. All six of these women have distinct personalities that shine through in the film. Shelby and M'Lynn disagree, sometimes sharply, but treat each other with love and respect. The older women mentor and mother young Shelby and Annelle with somewhat mixed results (we'll get to that). And whatever external events threaten to knock them off their feet, the Magnolias remain strong as ever. Swearing is a big caveat here. Ouiser has a sailor mouth, which she particularly enjoys using on Shelby's dad. Jesus and God's names are abused. Annelle is portrayed as the group's only Christian, and her version of Christianity is pretty legalistic, making her the butt of tasteless gossip from the other women. Sex, including homosexuality, is discussed. Offhand remarks are made about purchasing babies. As noted, the ending is definitely a three-hanky special. Be discerning with your younger teens, but adults and older teens should feel free to enjoy.
Adult Written byjustkylermat August 18, 2009

Great, emotional, but funny movie.

This is a wonderful movie. Very emotional, but still funny and full of laughs. Parents should watch this movie with their kids and discuss the emotional content. You will laugh and cry.