Parent and Kid Reviews on

Strange World: Movie Poster
Our Review

Based on 87 parent reviews

Sort by:

Awful. I have buyers remorse for paying theater prices to see this. Story was bad. The "crush" plot (plot is strong word here) was like an afterthought. It had no bearing on the movie. The was no real cohesiveness to the show. My teenagers were bored, my littles were restless. What a waste of time & money. Totally over Disney!!

46 people found this helpful.

Literally the worst cartoon Disney movie I’ve seen. The plot was horrible, the father/son relationship content not for little kids. The boys character lacking as a whole, an unnecessary focus on his crush ( regardless of gender). Give me Brave, Encanto, not this garbage. My kids were bored. Disney is supposed to be fun. Whimsical. I’m over Disney.
44 people found this helpful.

Boring!

We liked that we had the option of 3D. We did not like the effects though. 3d was as my grandson said “boring.” He said Legos 3D was much better. Anyhow, granddaughter went on to say the plot was “unimaginative.” Overall, we could only give it two stars because it just didn’t make us want to stay. You know it’s bad when you’re grandkids are bored and ready to leave. Ugh.
40 people found this helpful.

So Disappointing

No one loves Disney movies more than me. My younger one was beyond bored which is uncommon for her. Half way through the movie, my older child kept kept asking "is it almost over". The plot was boring and the graphics were not impressive at all. Obviously, these Disney characters will be on the clearance racks in the toy departments in no time at all.

27 people found this helpful.

Don’t believe the haters, a great movie!!

So many reviewers here are complaining about the “forced” racial mix, “forced” gay relationship, the “unnecessary” inclusivity. . Well actually, this is the first Disney movie I’ve seen that naturally presents life as it is. Without mentioning it. Just getting on with the fact that you walk past people in wheelchairs, mixed race couples and men kissing. It’s not “pushing an agenda”, it’s just showing it like it really is. And everyone needs to look outside of their bubbles, and get over it. Three cheers to Disney, it’s taken them 100 years, but let’s not complain about that, and instead celebrate the fact that they finally come to the party . The story isn’t earth shattering, but the action is engaging, the strangeness is really strange 😂 but beautifully done, and the animation is exceptional. We Loved it. Highly recommended. There’s a couple of jumps, my son is 6 and daughter 8 and they couldn’t stop talking about it. Allow your kids some intelligence (emotional or otherwise), and let them enjoy this bit of fun for what it certainly is. Fun.

24 people found this helpful.

Strange World is Strange, But Good.

This is a movie for kids and their parents to enjoy together. It will lead to some thoughtful discussions about environmental science and the choices we make as a society. It's also visually stunning and the fantastic creatures and world that have been created are a delight. The characters are diverse, including a gay teenage boy and women in positions of power. The movie features an interracial marriage. Neither the characters' sexuality nor race is part of the main plot, and characters accept one another for who they are. Healthy/balanced relationships between parents are also depicted. (*If you are upset at your children seeing a gay teenager having a crush on another boy, then consider if you would be upset by your children seeing teenage heterosexual relationships being depicted in the same way. )

18 people found this helpful.

Great movie for the entire family. Colorful and Fun!

I thought that it was really good! Nothing compared to Encanto but we thought that it was an enjoyable 90 minutes! All of my kids were engaged the entire time. Loved the vibrant colors and messages about family! Lots of diversity including one gay character and I am really glad that my oldest could finally see himself represented in a Disney movie!! There is a decent amount of violence and I probably wouldn't have taken my 4 year old to see it if I knew but he was fine. Overall a great time and a great family movie for thanksgiving!!

15 people found this helpful.

Great story, SEL (especially male), female leadership, and AWESOME creative creatures!

For many of the reasons some reviewers stated they did not love the film, my (just turned) 7 year old son and I did! I thought Disney did a great job in the Social-Emotional Learning (SEL) department with this one. People bothered by the inclusivity and representation sound to me like those worked up by the new Ariel actress. The racial makeup and crush gender are visually *in the story*, but nothing is “woke box-checking”, in my opinion. The only odd thing about it is that it makes you realize most every movie before was white (or single ethnicity) and cis-gendered! What I loved: 1) consistently strong, capable female leadership 2) celebration of honoring oneself and one’s true passions, especially at the awkward pre-teen/early ten phase 3) building upon #2, breaking from generational dysfunctional cycles 4) UNPARALLELED quality interactions between three generations of males in the family* 5) fosters looking holistically at symbiotic relationships (humans/other creatures/ecosystem) *there were many meaningful conversations between grandfather-father/father-son/grandfather-grandson that I’ve just never seen presented in such a kid-friendly way. It is rare to see a movie entertainingly showing the arc of growth from “macho borderline toxic” to “aware and supportive” male authority/paternal figure. It models accountability and heathy growth without being preachy or condescending. The storyline was clear, a very normal formulaic Disney style (with the classic “uniting to overcome challenges” bit and happy ending). The most memorable part for the kids would be the FANTASTICALLY CREATIVE creatures that live in the underground world. They are so unique and captivating! When we watch It again (streaming in a plane or something), THAT will be what we’re both going to be paying the most attention to.

12 people found this helpful.

11 people found this helpful.

Not Disney's best work

Parents and 10-year-old found it boring; not up to the expected Disney quality. The visual impact of the Strange World was nice, but not enough to make up for the weak plot and uni-dimensional characters. Messages felt clumsy and obvious.
11 people found this helpful.