All parent member reviews for Surf's Up

Parent of a 12 year old Written byjslatte December 24, 2009

Really not worth the hassle.

This show had too many sexual inferences for my taste. In one scene, a penguin was practically drooling over these trophies that he had named after women, and his tone, the way he behaved, was a bit over the top. And a statement made while a male and female penguin were showering together was inappropriate for a children's movie.
Adult Written byjenwen3 April 9, 2008

Iffy potty language, penguin unination...necessary???

Superb animation, cute story. Why must we have to muck it up with so much poop, pee talk and farts etc? The penguin urinating on the other penguins foot while the girl penguin stands by was a little much. Good movies really can stand on their own without so much attention to bodily functions.
Parent Written byAmeliaK July 23, 2011

Fun summer movie

Adult Written bycandance April 9, 2008

Cory learns that being your best means putting in a lot of hard work.

My children loved this movie. Yes, there was some humor that went over their heads, but in general the movie was great. When you can take a 2 year old and an 8 year old to the movies and they both come out happy...I say it is a winner!
Adult Written byAmeliaKaderWood June 29, 2009

AWESOME!!!

The first time I watched it, I loved it instantly! It was very funny and entertaining to watch. Great voice acting and the story line (also the animation) was really well done. :) Oh, and this film makes me wanna go jump in the shore and go surfing! ;)
Adult Written bynewpal April 9, 2008

Misled

This websites warnings weren't entirely correct. It said a character made a comment of "Go cut yourself," but he actually said "Don't cut yourself" as he gave advice to the younger surfer. Even so, there are many better movies with the same theme e.g., recent VeggieTale Pirates movie. Also, my 7 y/o dau disliked the documentary-style of the movie and wished it "just told a story."
Parent Written byhockeymom12 June 18, 2011

Disappointed

I did not like this movie at all. I didn't like the sexual content in this, nor the whole "go cut yourself".
Adult Written byCAKING57 April 9, 2008

WIPE OUT

IF YOU ARE NOT A SHREDDER YOURSELF YOU CANNOT CONNECT. THE SEXUAL INUENDOS WERE COMPLETELY INAPPROPRIATE FOR A CHILDREN'S MOVIE. THEY WERE NOT YOUR NORMAL "ABOVE THEIR HEAD PARENTAL HUMOR". THEY WERE IN BAD TASTE AND POORLY EXECUTED. MY CHILDREN ASKED NUMEROUS TIMES TO LEAVE THE THEATRE.
Adult Written bytackettgibson April 9, 2008

Forget Happy Feet - Cars Redux

The film was age appropriate for my kids (age 5) but like Cars the film slows down and might lose the kids attention. Apart from the penguins, I think this has little in common with Happy Feet etc, and is far more in line with the plot of Cars - a rookie thinks winning is the goal, but finds that friends and family are more important through his interaction with a displaced and wounded mentor/father figure. This point is more explicit here, but not necessary more charming. The potty humor is a bit over done, but otherwise it has a good message and well developed characters. Not the best kids film out there (this goes to Ratatoulle), but far better than Shrek III.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byBlueJade April 9, 2008

Finally, a funny penguin movie

If you like surfing, or that kind of 'laid back, dude' style humor, you'll like Surf's Up. Some other reviewers have pointed out the weaknesses in the bad guy penguin, the free-floating chicken, and the wide-ranging language. Yet, it's quite entertaining and sweeter than I thought. Plus, the message about staying true to yourself and your friends was welcome, altho corny. Having just rented Happy Feet, which was a disappointing warmed over March of the Penguins, Surf's Up was light, fun and free-spirited. For ClubPenguin.com fans it was fun to see penguin up on the big screen. also, this was more entertaining than Ratatouille for kids, even tho the animation isn't as detailed.
Educator and Parent Written byhybs January 16, 2013

Better than Happy Feet

This was a much more engaging movie for our family than Happy Feet (which my children thought bizarre at times and not in a mind-opening Miyazaki way). It is a really fun homage to surfing movies and x-games interviews, etc. Yes, the style is very different than your typical linear plot kids movie. Why not try something different? The plot/message itself without the documentary twist is Karate Kid "believe in yourself" "work hard" "go after your dreams". Some language is a bit crude. But I find a few mildly rude words less offensive than the high level of violence in many kids' movies. Surfing penguins? AWESOME, dude! P.S. And as for the peeing on the penguins foot, that really is the most expedient solution to a sea urchin injury.
Adult Written byDazyMillr April 9, 2008

Not what I expected

This movie was not what I expected. It is filmed in a "documentary" style. At least 2 families with preschool age children left the theater during the movie because their children were too bored to sit still and watch. There is quite a bit of social satire which kids will not understand. My husband also kept falling asleep. You would think a surfing film would have some exciting action, but not this one. My 9 and 11 year old kids thought the movie was OK.
Adult Written bySwsMiss05 April 9, 2008

Hilarious!! Totally cute! :)

This movie made me laugh so hard and the kids LOVED it! Although I could have done w/o the use of "crap" and a few other minor words...I think the overall message was well worth it! This is a great summer film for the whole family! :)
Adult Written bytreschicas April 9, 2008

Fun summer family movie

We took our whole family to see this, and our kids range in age from 6 to 14. It is rare to find a movie that everyone enjoys, but this was one.
Adult Written byLaurana532 April 9, 2008

Captured my five-year old's attention

I liked this movie okay. My five-year old loved it. He even commented that the movie was over too soon. There is some language that I felt could have been left out, but other than that, it was okay. I think the violence of surfing and crashing as well as the brief discussion of not having a parent due to an untimely demise is something parents will be able to either discuss with the young ones or it will not be an issue (know your kid rule). What I did like about it was that it opened discussions about friendship, loyalty, and perseverance.
Adult Written byheidihausfrau2 April 9, 2008

Cool movie dude

My entire family (kids 3 and 6 and hubby) enjoyed this movie! Excellent message about friendship and never giving up. I agree with other reviewers that the language was unneccessary, but other than that I found nothing objectionable. The sexual innuendos went right over the kids' heads. We really enjoyed this movie and will probably buy it on video.
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byCaerleon April 29, 2014

One of our Favs

This has been one of our favorite family movies for years. It's not super scary. There are no guns and no chase scenes. And it has a great message. After discovering that Finding Nemo was way too scary for our particular five year old boy - this (along with the first Cars movie) was a welcome alternative to watch again and again and again.
Parent Written bydanharvell March 22, 2013

A Fun Film Full of Positive Penguins

The movie is a creatively written and performed pseudo-documentary on a surfing penguin. The characters are all very strong and well-written. What makes this movie really excellent, though, is that the main characters are all extremely positive role models. Of course, every film needs an antagonist, but it is very clear that this film's antagonist is NOT a role model. The beautiful thing is, the main character learns a valuable lesson, while competing with the film's antagonist. While the movie does have a lot of so-called "potty humor", unless you bubble-wrap your children, they have heard MUCH worse, at school - regardless their age. The only really questionable line is when the lead character calls the antagonist a "p****r head". In this case, I'm sure that refers to the fact that the antagonist is also a penguin, therefore has a beak, but the double-meaning is very clear. There also seems to be a huge misunderstanding with a certain line that many have, somehow, interpreted as "go cut yourself". This is certainly NOT said, in the movie. The line that is referenced involves the male and female lead characters grabbing large leafs. The male lead asks, "What is this for?" The female replies, "You don't want to cut yourself, do you?". Then, they proceed to slide down a roller coaster-like, underground tunnel system, using the leafs as a sort of sled, protecting them from being cut on the rocks on which they are sliding. That said, do not listen to those who claim that the line "go cut yourself" is present. Those who claim that line is present, in the movie, obviously did not give the movie their full attention. Over all, a very funny and well-written movie, in which some really huge life lessons can be learned. I highly recommend it!
Adult Written bywallyk2334 April 9, 2008

Adult Written byworlock April 9, 2008

Needed satisfying ending. Not funny enough!

This "3d" cartoon isn't for everyone. I heard snoring and yawning in the auditorium. I liked it but its slow steady pacing and moderate storytelling dosn't hold everyones attention. There's no grip except for when Cody Maverick gets hurt. It fades out down the stretch a little too. I think the voice overs and animation are top notch!Surfers and "3d" cartoon fan should like it. Just lower your expectations before you go!