Parent and Kid Reviews on

Our Review

Based on 17 parent reviews

Sort by:

Uh...yes please!

I'm a sucker for a mockumentary. It certainly sets the tone for this animated penguin film. In many ways this storytelling device makes the cuteness go down easier. It's a fun film that satisfies the desire to see penguins surf. I think it's a good primer for screening Christopher Guest films in the future.
1 person found this helpful.

Surprisingly good!

I wasn't sure if I was going to enjoy this movie but I was pleasantly surprised! Its interesting for kids and adults. Great story line and amusing characters. Fun to watch as a family!

1 person found this helpful.

Not appropriate

one character called another character "pecker face". One penguin urinated on the foot of another penguin holding his area. The boy and girl penguin in the waterfall together and she says "can I tell you something" and he says "well we are already showering together" . I didn't watch too much after that scene with my kids. I let the first few suggestive and potty language scenes fly, but new if I continued on it would only continue. Don't be desensitized by this stuff, just turn it off. Not appropriate for kids under13.

Yes, there is language/potty humor

I don’t like my little kids saying things like “sucks”, “crap”, “pecker face”, etc. I know people in Hollywood don’t get it because they’re so desensitized from all that, but it doesn’t fly in our house.

Hidden crude "humor"

I find this film inappropriate. Not a kids movie. The beginning was too drawn out and lost my interest early. What was off putting is the adult jokes they tried to slip in. Honestly it's not funny. "Taste like sh-.. " was a line before it was cutoff into next scene. "Pecker face" as two characters were name calling. Few other fowl language that was reworded but suggestive. Also Suggested nudity when an otter stands out of a hot tub and his crotch is blurred. Derogatory towards sexualizing female characters. Once scene a "medicine penguin" is peeing on a wound of another penguin similar to how a human male would. With his hands/flippers in front of him. Implying body parts and behavior that an actual penguin wouldn't even have or do. I'm 26 and I shut the movie off. This is not entertainment.

I enjoyed it!

Enjoyed it! Didn’t have to fast forward through any of it. Some mean characters, but lots of good values!

Decent, but not for younger kids

Pros: Shia LeBeouf voiced the main character, and, what can I say? I'm a fan. The movie was pretty funny, with plenty of jokes that were more for the parents than the kids. The story/plot was pretty wholesome and had a happy ending. Cons: I chose the movie based on this website saying there was no language, and that wasn't exactly true. The word "crap" was used. One character called another character a "pecker face." There were also several innuendos that I caught (and thankfully my kids did not). Chicken refers to his "nuggets" (an obvious innuendo to me that, thankfully, my kids missed) Chicken (who acts like a pothead throughout the movie) tells a group of penguins that they look hungry, and "must have the munchies." Older penguin says to younger penguin: "Looks like you got a little sand in your egg sack, fella," implying he has sand in his swimsuit. I know we're stricter parents than most. I just thought some of you would want to know, just in case you're weirdos like us. All in all, the kids weren't scarred for life, but I don't think I'd let them watch it again until they were older. Probably would call it appropriate for ages 12+.

An enjoyable cartoon for all ages

There was never a point in time where I disliked this movie. It's colorful, well-animated, the characters have creative personalities, and its all done in a commentary point-of-view that I personally find to be one of the best qualities of the movie itself. It feels like I'm actually watching a documentary about surfing. There are some moments in which potty language is used here and there, but there are no moments any worse than that. To clarify, while some reviews here claim that a character said to "go cut yourself," the truthful statement was actually "don't cut yourself," stated when a character was warning another about not cutting themselves on something. If it did actually say to cut yourself, I would have rated this movie a lot lower, but it keeps up the very kid-friendly vibe and still has plenty in it to captivate adults and teens alike. Overall, this movie is exactly what it sounds like; a penguin learns a valuable lesson through hard work, while the movie itself keeps up an interesting competitive surfing theme throughout. Give it a watch!

Inappropriate inuendos...my 5 year old is now constantly saying "pecker face" and making rude attitude-filled spitting noises to everything he doesnt like

Surfs up bro!

Surfing means everything to teenage penguin Cody Maverick (Shia LaBeouf). Followed by a documentary film crew, he leaves his home in Antarctica for Pen Gu Island, site of the the Big Z Memorial Surf Off. Cody wants to be respected and admired, and he believes that winning the competition will bring him what he craves. However, an encounter with washed-up surfer Geek (Jeff Bridges) teaches Cody about what is truly important.