All parent member reviews for Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Adult Written bynduns October 20, 2009

Before I start my review...

I just gotta say that I am impressed by the kid reviewers here. You have shown much more maturity when reviewing this, an r-rated film, than most kid reviewers show when reviewing PG-13 or even PG movies. You all deserve a round of applause for actually going against that dumb stereotype that young people can't handle the sight of blood. Anyway, today was sadly my first time ever watching this movie. I hadn't even seen the screenplay before. I was beyond impressed. This is one of the greatest musicals I have ever seen, and it's not very common that a serious musical directed towards adults comes along. The characters were well-developed and the only important characters who die are those who deserve it. This is a great film that should at least be viewed once by those who can handle the sight of blood.
Adult Written byHalfBloodPrincess April 27, 2012

VERY bloody!

This is one of my favourite movies, but I would absolutely never ever EVER show it to somebody under fourteen years old. The first time I saw it at 17, there were a few parts I had to cover my eyes because I just couldn't take the blood, and I have a fairly strong stomach. Really, the main thing you need to be concerned about is BLOOD, GORE, AND VIOLENCE. Sweeney kills dozens of innocent people who are then baked into pies by Mrs. Lovett. There's some pretty bad language, but let's face it, a 14 year old hears those words every day at school. A rape is referenced, but not actually shown. There aren't really any positive role models in the movie. Sweeney is a murderer who, at first, is hell bent on avenging his wife, but he later starts killing dozen innocent people because "we all deserve to die". Mrs. Lovett goes along with Sweeney's plans and bakes the people into pies and feeds them to her unsuspecting customers. There is some drinking (including underaged drinking) but it's not really a huge concern compared to the violence and blood. Personally, I think that if your child is above 14 years old, it's up to them to decide what they can handle. Some 14 year olds will have no problem with this movie, while some 50 year olds won't be able to stomach it. It all depends on the individual person. Although there are some bad parts to it, there are some amazing, wonderful things about it too and, if you can handle it, I highly recommend you watch this movie.
Parent of a 15 year old Written byRob Kreesty March 16, 2010

Wow

My Son Johnny was bugging me to watch this movie. I saw this review and told him NO!!! I became curious about the film so I decided to watch it my self and I found out that this review is completely false. There is no use of the F-word and there is no sexual assault or rape in this film. I then after watching it my self, allowed my son to watch it
Parent of a 13 year old Written byres2188 December 19, 2009

Most tweens love gore, but stay on your guard!

I watched it and i LOVED IT!!! The violence isnt as bad as you think it would be; sure it was gorey in some ways but almost and tween or teen of 13-14+ could tell the "bloody scenes" were totally fake. The singing was phenominal, very rich and cultural. To this day i still like singing those entrancing songs by johnny depp and helena bohem carter. In this movie swearing isnt a big issue. Curse words were only detected five or six times in the whole movie. I think the rating of 16+ is unreasonable! If you tell your tween(13-15)no, odds are theyll find ways to watch it without you knowing!!! And for adults, this movie was spectacular=D
Parent of a 2 year old Written byKeatingmc September 18, 2009
There is NO RAPE or SEXUAL ASSULT IN THIS FILM! They DO NOT use the F word!
Adult Written bybroadwaybaby April 9, 2008

C'mon, kiddies, let's go see the new Tim Burton film!

Blood? Vaguely resembles reddened honey, in classic Burton horror style. Lyrics? Seriously, parents, how many of you have let s--t or pi-s slip every so often? (The review up there mentions the f word, and I'll have you know that the word isn't said once in the whole film, thank you very much). Cannibalism? You can't honestly tell me that "God, That's Good!" didn't make you giggle just a little bit. I call this flick entertainment at its best. When you go into a Tim Burton movie/musical rated R and stamped with the title Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, I think you know full well what you've bitten into. No pun intended.
Adult Written bydysfunctional-h January 8, 2013

Darkly entertaining work of macabre for teens

This is a fantastic adaptation of Sondheim's musical, but very different. It is a little less campy than the original musical was, but maintains many of the macabre elements. There will be many times when those adverse to violence (i.e. people like me) will be looking away from the screen, or from behind a little hand-eye-shield. Honestly, it's typical Tim Burton, and as long as you know what's coming, it should not be too big of a shock. Some good topics for discussion are certainly present: Ms. Lovett is rich for analysis, and Bonham-Carter, if not the best singer, still really squeezes the juice out of the role. Is Ms. Lovett a sympathetic character? Is she the "real" protagonist, or is it Todd, or even Anthony? Or is she an Iago character, twisting Todd into madness and acts of heinous violence to revive her dying pie business? Are there possibly Marxist undercurrents in this story? And of course, what is Todd's motivation for his "revenge?" Does he see himself as a sort of übermensch? And what finally leads to him acting on his impulses? If your teens like this, I would highly suggest Sunday in the Park with George as another film and musical they would love. It covers topics that would go over the head of many a child, so really it is for older teens, particularly those drawn to the humanities. But it is every bit as deep.
Adult Written bydavyborn December 6, 2012

Tim Burton\Johnny Deep Musical Bloodbath isn't for kids.

Tim Burton's 2007 film-adaptation of the 1979 play of the same film, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, is, without a doubt, even more so than his excellent 1999 film Sleepy Hollow, the bloodiest and most sadistic film he has ever made. This could honestly be the bloodiest musical film ever made, though that inventory isn't exactly bursting at the seems with numerous other candidates. So, in this adpation of the play, Tim Burton stars as the apply named Sweeney Todd, a man who was unrightfully done by several people, in his past, causing him to have his wife snatched away from him, his daughter torn from his eyesight, and having him put in a mental hospital. Now, many years later, he returns to London, seeking his revenge on those who did him wrong, with the help of a woman who owns a meet pie shop (Helena Bonham Carter, who is just as dementedly bizarre as usual), which conviently has a building attached to it, which utelizes his past career, as a barber. Now, Sweeney Todd is far, extremely far, in fact, from being a masterpeice. In fact, it is not even a great film, but, for what it's worth, it is a cheerfully gruesome, lively acted and well made musical-horror film, which excels from performances by all, including, especially, Alan Rickman, who, at this point in his career, decided to take a break from his continously Harry-Potter related stretch of roles, and decided to try something a little more old-fashioned, and, for that, he gives a wonderfully disturbing performance as one of the head-men involved in Sweeney's ruined past, as a ruthless judge. Now, the film also just so happened to win the Academy Award for Best Art Direction at the 2008 Oscars, and, it is very easy to see why: The film's Victorian era-set design is consistently dazzling and ugly to look at, at the same time, and, with a stark and surprisingly subtle (in this movie, really?) dose of computer animation here and there, the film looks extraordinary from beginning to end, but with a dark-minded visual master like Tim Burton helming this film, it is not surprising, in the least. So, despite the fact that this film is a muscial, it is R Rated for an extremely good reason, which will be explained, now: Sweeney Todd does not start out graphically violent, but it develops it's brutal tone somewhere around the fifty-minute mark, and from than on, the film is wall to wall with explicit and extreme violence, including, but definitely not limited to, many, many throat slashings performed by Sweeney on mostly innocent customers, complete with buckets and buckets of spurting, spraying, gushing and pouring blood strewn in virutally every which way that you can imagine, add to that are several brutal beatings, a very disturbing and fairly upsetting implied rape, implied mutilation, a main character being tossed into a flaming oven and bruned alive on-screen, and, constant violent-behavior towards young children, this film absolutely, without a doubt in my mind, whatsoever, earns it's R Rating, very, very well. Also, like I said, there is an implied rape early on in the film, and it is very unpleasant and shocking, even though we do not see any of it, excpect for onlookers grisly and horrifically enthusiastic expressions. Also, there is very infrequent and fairly mild lnaguage, but it does inlcude a couple uses each of sh-t, d-mn and h-ll. So, while Sweeney Todd is certainly not one of the best musicals out there, or let alone, even one of Tim Burton's best films, it is still easilly the bloodiest out of both of those categories, and it does make for a fun and gruesome, if often rather jarring, fun time. Reccomended.
Adult Written bysparrow_girl15 April 9, 2008

I love this movie

i love this movie.. it has wit and talent. Juhnny Depp did a great job in this film.. he showed his character to be exactly what it had to be. ... it had a great plot.. with a perfect twist.. this is one movie i will buy when it comes out on DVD.
Adult Written byFilmFanatic October 21, 2013

Beautiful movie but VERY violent

Beautiful adaption to the stage play but very very bloody and dark. There is one sequence in which a bunch of people have their throats slit in a carefree manner by Depp's character. They are then tipped back in a rigged chair that dumps them down in the basement, sometimes with head spitting bloody results. One throat slitting is particularly gory, the vicim is slashed twice with a shaving razor and then stabbed in the neck a few times. He is dumped down a trap door and is still alive when he hits the floor. A man is smashed in the face with a boiling kettle multiple times (blood and teeth fly out), stuffed in a chest, and beings that he is still alive, has his throat slit with heavy blood spray. A woman pushed into an oven and is burned alive as she screams. A boy slits a mans throat and his blood poor out onto the face of a dead woman, pools around them and fills the cobblestones with blood. Most of the dead bodies are chopped up, baked into meat pies and sold. Make no mistake, just because its a musical doesn't mean its child friendly. The violence is heavy, bloody but unrealistic.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bybloodymary April 18, 2010

13 and up

2 words loved it .it was so bloody johnny depp was the best seriously i think he is the best actor ive ever seen
Adult Written byFerron008 April 9, 2008

Great movie

I loved it,was fantastic!!
Adult Written bymikewrites April 9, 2008
Adult Written bydarkknightofficial April 9, 2008

BEST MOVIE EVER

There is nothing better than a murder musical. On the other hand, the blood is only gross when it's out of the montages of death. It's gross. The ending was the first ending ever of a movie that made me cry, it's very touching. Tears and blood.
Adult Written byJoanne 1 November 27, 2014

Sondheim and Depp Create Masterpiece for the Ages

Sweeney Todd is an excellent film adapted from the musical of the same name. It stars Johnny Depp in the title role as a man who escapes from prison and decides to exact revenge on the judge who tore his family apart with the help of Mrs. Lovett, his accomplice. Sweeney decides to practice for the judge by killing other people by slitting their throats when he shaves them, and Mrs. Lovett uses them to make meat pies for her shop. Eventually, they both get their dues. Really, whether or not you should let your child watch this should be based on maturity level, not age. If your child can handle the blood, which takes up less than 5% of the total screen time, and they enjoy Johnny Depp, Tim Burton, or musicals, then this is the film for them. The blood is not frightening in any way, and the typical child should be able to handle it as long as you explain to them that it is not real and that killing people is bad. Watching this film will not make your child suddenly turn into a psycho-maniac killer. Likely, they will take away the message that violence and murder can only lead to destruction and severe consequences. There is also one scene in which there is a shadow of a hint that a woman is sexually assaulted, and there is a subplot that a 50+ year old man wants to marry his 16-year-old ward, the daughter of the title character. This, however, is something that may fly over the heads of young children, and they may not understand this. They do use the words 'piss' and 's**t' several times, but those are the only bad words, and they fit into the time period and are not used in a violent context. A young boy, probably not more than 10 years old, is depicted drinking gin to calm him down. This only happens a few times, however, and kids may not even realize that the boy is drinking alcohol. Ultimately, this film is a masterpiece with dark undertones that is a great film......as long as your child is mature enough to handle it.
Adult Written byhelsingmusique October 6, 2014

Sweeney Todd

At 12 years of age, the maturity is available to a teenager to be able to decide whether they want to watch it or not. It is a very violent movie, but the blood is very fake in coloration likely due to the fact that they had to edit the colouring of the film after filming. I enjoyed the film, found it easy to watch.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byChristianMother101 September 18, 2013

Mortified. Just Mortified.

I was absolutly traumatized by this movie as an adult, and so in retrospect letting my daughter watch this was undoubtably the silliest decision i have ever made. Dont watch it, dont let your child watch it, don't even speak of it.
Parent of a 2, 11, and 14 year old Written bymrs4d April 8, 2013

Edgar Allen Poe style fantasy

I loved it. It is a theatrical type of violence and not scary at all plus the "hero" is the one committing the violence.
Adult Written byShortswald March 2, 2012

A bloody-macabre musical

The film is really really BLOODY! There is a lot of blood sequences of this movie when the characters cuts the customer's necks. There is also loads of gore in the movie, when the boy finds the machine in which the lady uses to make pies out of the corpses. It is one of the bloodiest movies I have ever seen in my life. Don't take your kids to watch the movie because they will be disturbed by it. If you are a fan of the musical and tim burton movies then watch it.
Parent of a 10 and 13 year old Written byMamaStaceC May 10, 2011