Kid reviews for Tales from Earthsea

Tales from Earthsea Poster Image

Not the best Ghibli at all, violent and creepy

I remember watching this as an 11 or 12 year old and it was so scary. The story itself is confusing; after watching it my friend was so confused with what happened and we couldn’t figure out why some things happened. I’m not sure if I’ll understand it now but I have no intention of watching it again. The movie starts weirdly or powerfully as some might say with two dragons battling with blood and then the main character stabs his father to death?? Afterward when he’s explaining why he did that to Therru, he says that he “wasn’t himself” which is a bit confusing. Also, starting from halfway through the film I think there’s like a “ghost” version of him or something and it’s really creepy the way it always follows him. There’s also the end scene with the bad guy that’s scary and creepy. He squeezes Therru’s neck and she dies (her legs dangle and he drops her to the ground) and then Arren cuts off the bad guy’s arm and it flies through the air but I think the bad guy’s face was scarier than that scene. He’s really creepy and he never seems to die. Then Therru is alive again??? Oh and also before that, Arren drinks this liquid thing that makes him sick or something. Yeah, so not recommended for young children because it’s scary, creepy and confusing and if you really want to watch a Ghibli, there are many more that are WAYYYYY better than this one.

Better than I thought it would be

So, I went into this thinking that it would be a bad film, that I wouldn’t like, as it’s one of the less-popular Studio Ghibli films. I actually found that it was quite a good film, sure it’s not Howl’s Moving Castle or Spirited Away, but it was ok! I liked Therru, who I connected with as a character, but I do think that the protagonist, Arren, was a bit under developed. The story was predictable, but the film was easy to follow and to watch. I didn’t think it was all that violent, apart from the scene where the hand is chopped off, which is a little bit gory and then the villain becomes a bit creepy at the end, which would have scared me when I was younger. Overall, I would say this is what I would class as a nice watchable film, but just beware the end scene for younger children. However, it does have a good message of the precious nature of life, so overall it’s an ok film.

Really great

Really amazing, i enjoyed this movie, though it has a fair bit of violence and some scenes may scare younger kids. But IT WAS AMAZING. I really enjoyed it. It is great anime and a bit creepy. I loved it

Underrated fantasy adaption is not Ghibli's best, but still quite entertaining

This animated adaption of Ursula K. Le Guin's acclaimed fantasy novel series, directed by the son of one of the most brilliant storytellers of all time, has been called the worst Studio Ghibli film, and not without a reason. ADVISORY: In addition to some scary dream scenes, there is a lot of violence, from a dragon bloodily killing another in the air, to a teenager stabbing his father to death (strongly implied, some blood) and the main protagonist losing his hand in a swordsfight (no blood but quite graphic). No sex or swearing. A main character is offered a drug, but his mentor intervenes; some victims of the drug are seen in a very bad shape. While the message of the film (being afraid of death is being afraid of life) is great, the character of Arren is a bit too complex (murders his own father for no reason, later regrets it, then doesn't, then does) to be considered a good role model, and there are not as powerful female characters as in other Ghibli films. REVIEW: Although "Tales from Earthsea" is beautifully animated, epic and a bit underrated, there are many plot holes and the focus is more on action scenes than character development. Most of the issues may be due to the director's lack of experience, and the film might be better if his father had directed it. The music is great, although not Hisaishi level. It's worth seeing, especially if you're new to anime, but true Studio Ghibli fans may get disappointed with it.

10+

It was a good movie with a fair plot and great characters however there were some questionable scenes for younger viewers. It does involve one scene where the main character is offered drugs, but another character intersepts and said its not good for him. There is some violence too. I think it really depends on the kid for if they can watch it or not, like if they think just cause they saw it online makes it right, they shouldn’t watch it. The main character, Arren, does express a lot of self doubt, but in the end does save his friends and becomes confident.

Pretty Good Movie!

I actually really enjoyed this movie, as a Studio Ghibli fan, although a lot of people say that it was such a disappointment. The things that I would be careful with are the violence (a character gets his hand cut off), the mild suggestive themes (slavers), and drugs (character gets offered some kind of drug upon arriving in the city). Of course, I watched this in Japanese with English Subs, although I can't see there being any problems with the English Dub.

As a Studio Ghibli film, it disappoints; but as an anime, it's enjoyable

I personally thought that this film was okay. The visuals and animation are worth a viewing alone. The story doesn't make sense and changes directions several times, to the point where I'm not even sure the producers knew what was going on. If you are expecting the quality and magic of other Ghibli films, don't watch this movie because it is easily the weakest of the lot. However, if you can distance yourself from the Ghibli labeling and simply view it objectively as an anime, you'll probably find it entertaining. It may not be a good film, but it isn't boring, either. As far as issues kids may have--I'm sure you've read by now that a man has his forearm graphically cut off, but that isn't the only disturbing thing. There's a dream sequence where Arren is being chased by a shadowy figure into a slimy swamp and it's quite freaky. In addition, Cobb is very creepy and when he's whispering to Arren he seems almost like some sort of pedophile. His feminine figure may confuse some viewers too (upon first seeing him, I definitely thought he was female). Also, his arm grows to disturbing lengths in order to strangle a young girl. Finally, a group of drug-addicted commoners is slightly disturbing.

Great visuals, awful script. Too violent for younger viewers.

"Tales from Earthsea", also known as "Gedo Senki" is a fantasy anime by Goro Miyazaki, whose father, Hayao Miyazaki, is a critically acclaimed anime director/writer. However, Goro does not have the terrific writing skills of his father. While being visually striking, the movie's script is just awful. The characters have no real personality, and the story is much too long for the movie's running time of 2 hours. In fact, the whole movie looks just like a couple of scenes merched together, or like a 4 hours long movie cut into 2 hours. We never get any real surprises or any interesting plot points because the movie always tries to bring out something action-ish, but in the end lacks story and logic. Actually, the only thing that makes this a bit (still not much) interesting are the visuals, but as they look just like the works of the old Miyazaki, i recommend one of his works rather than this movie. Absolutely not recommended. The movie also is really violent. Two dragons fight, leaving bloody results. A man gets his arm cut off (the bloody stump is seen). A man stabs his father with a sword, leaving bloody results. There are two scenes that can cause nightmares by young viewers: one nightmare sequence where a boy nearly drowns and then is rescued by a man with no eyeballs (very scary scene). The other scene involves a man melting into a mud-like substance, he then is shown with his eyeballs gone, as well. Teens and up will have no nightmares with this movie, as it is just an anime.

Fine

It's not that great a film but i think it's fine for kids 10+ and some younger kids might be able to watch it too. It's more for boys than girls.

I love this movie!

It's not done by Hayao Miyazaki (the guy that made Ponyo and Spirited Away), but it's done by his son, who is just as good. Excellent film!