Adult Written byAshnak April 9, 2008

Decent Kids movie

Tarzan is good for older kids, but I felt it inappropriate for my 5 year old. Too many questions that should wait.
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written bymom and teacher April 8, 2010

Way too violent for little kids; better wait.

Tarzan's parents are killed by a leopard right at the beginning of the film. The baby is taken from his home by a gorilla, who then has to fight off the leopard. Tarzan is treated with hostility by the head gorilla. The hunters are shooting guns at animals and people. Finally, the bad guy hunter is hanged from some jungle vines at the end of a big fight. My four-and-a-half-year old was really upset about the baby Tarzan being taken out of his home by the gorilla, and he kept asking questions about the mom and dad were. It was pretty upsetting.
Adult Written bydaveteds April 9, 2008

Very Violent for young chikdren

Horribly violent for a G rated cartoon! We didn't even finish watching the monkey killing with our 6 year old! Never been so appalled in my life!
Adult Written bycbholley14 April 9, 2008

Totally un-necessary violence!

I was completely offended by the violence in this movie! Not only does it start off with a baby gorilla being eaten by a predator (the camera is on the mommy gorilla while the baby screams), but there is also a hut full of bloody footprints when she later finds the baby Tarzan. What really did it for me though, was the death of the "bad guy" who is hanged by vines after fighting with Tarzan. Although you don't see the actual death, there is a very convienent lightning flash where you see the shadow of him hanging by the neck. Disney should be ashamed.
Parent Written bybelisab September 19, 2015

Tarzan 2014

Please note this is a review of a more recent Tarzan version. It is available on Amazon Prime and I think it bears reviewing here. I can not recommend this film- the gender stereotyping, the exoticising of Africa, and terrible dialogue. It is extremely violent and my six year old did not want to finish it. This is not for kids younger than 8....and even then, probably not worth your time.
Adult Written byBestPicture1996 September 24, 2014

Last of the Disney Renaissance is adventurous fun

After having to read Edgar Rice Burroughs original "Tarzan of the Apes," (an incredibly sexist and racist, "of it's time") novel, I had to get the taste of it out of my mouth, so I went back to Tarzan's best known incarnation: the Disney version! I watched this over and over as a kid, this one maybe a little more than most Disney movies since it was only less then a decade old when I was a youngster. There's great voice acting by Minnie Driver as Jane, who, reflectively, is actually a very good role model for young girls. She's not a princess waiting for her prince to show up, she argues against what she thinks is wrong (i.e. Clayton, Brian Blessed, as the best voice in this film) and is stronger than say Snow White or Cinderella. The animation, especially the endless amount of greenery needed to create this African jungle landscape, is enviously gorgeous. Phil Collins songs brought back waves and waves of nostalgia, and that's what they're meant for! This is one of Disney Studio's best offerings of the 90's, and your kids will be sure to love it, though it is certainly more PG than G.
Parent of an infant and 5 year old Written bygemmadee November 22, 2009
I liked the movie alot, and as an adoptive parent, appreciate the message that adoptive families are as good as biological ones. But my 5 year old never got past the first chase scene. She sobbed in terror at the first sight of the killer cat and we had to turn it off.
Parent of a 17 and 17 year old Written bypoppinsfan August 14, 2015
Parent Written bylolboy55 December 9, 2012

3 and up can watch!

it is for kids kids can watch nothing bad about it
Parent of a 4 year old Written bysmgumke March 17, 2015

Not only too violent, but over-the-head for little ones

So yes, the movie is way to violent for young children - as in dead bodies laying in bloody footprints - umm no. But also, the content/plot is WAY too advanced for young children. My 3yo niece and 4yo son were not even interested because the plot is hard to follow for such a young child. VERY disappointed this was rated G :(
Parent of a 5, 7, and 9 year old Written byKingscion June 29, 2009

A great fasamily film

The violence in this movie was very necessary for the making. I loved the part where the guy was hanged by the vines. I think that any kid who watches this can learn about death and that it really does happen. They don't have to be censored from these things because it's very educational and proper for growing minds. This was a great movie and most importantly, a classic.
Adult Written byLowe's man August 23, 2016

Barney's Tarzan

When this movie came out in 1999 I went to see it thinking that it would be reasonably close to the Filmation Tarzan that I watched as a kid in the late 70s and early 80s. Nothing could've been further from the truth. The title character's behavior in this movie was infantile, and so was his speech. In the Saturday morning version from my childhood, by contrast, Tarzan was more of a man. Disney's Tarzan is Barney's Tarzan. Filmation's Tarzan, by contrast, was 3-2-1 CONTACT's Tarzan. The reason why I say that is because, just as 3-2-1 CONTACT was an intelligent show, "my" Tarzan was an intelligent Tarzan.