Find the best for your family

See what's streaming, limit strong violence or language, and find picks your kids will love with Common Sense Media Plus.

Join now

Parent reviews for Taylor Swift: Miss Americana

Savvy docu with strong messages for girls; swearing.

Parent of a 9-year-old Written byK C. February 23, 2020

Not what I was expecting - definitely not for kids.

I was expecting a nice fluffy Taylor Swift documentary with the occasional F-bomb, but this documentary has an added element that noone else seems to have mentioned, hence my writing this.

There is talk of sexual assault, inappropriate touching and a court case that Taylor had to endure to get her assailant convicted. She addresses the issue of sexual assault very openly. Photographic evidence of her sexual assault is shown.

For this reason, and no other, I did not allow my 10 year old to watch it.

Adult Written bybeccadressler February 18, 2020

interesting but has bad words and tough subjects toward end

My 12 year old watched it with me last night. It definitely has cuss words smattered throughout, even by Taylor. Most of the subject matter is encouraging and can spark good conversation with daughter - living for praise, weight control, peer influence, hard work. However, toward the end there is a lot of gay pride - her video, rainbows throughout, Taylor celebrating with gay men. It sparked conversation with my daughter but when my 8-10 year olds came in, it wasn't appropriate for them. you can't just watch this without taking the time to discuss it as well.

Parent Written byjocelynaus February 10, 2020

Excellent messages for a young swifty

I just watched this with my 9 year old who loves Taylor, 11 year old son and husband both of whom aren’t interested in her - we all liked it.

There is swearing, but not excessive. My kids have heard swear words and know not to use them. Taylor is a great role model genuinely espousing virtues of hard work, self worth and finding your voice and equality. It’s wonderful to see someone so seemingly perfect overcome challenges.

This film is captivating for anyone who knows her music to watch song take form. It’s particularly motivating for an aspiring musician to work hard.

Parent Written byd n. February 7, 2020

It's ok for younger kids, with a little bit of skipping over the bad words if you want.

I know a lot of people will say it's not ok because of some of the language, but there really aren't a lot of bad words used. They also seem to be in clusters, so you can just skip over them as well. I watched with my 9 year old and we talked about how Taylor is an adult and sometimes adults say bad words when they're upset or passionate about something, and in all honesty she only caught one of them. I did watch the documentary before watching with her just in case, so I knew where to skip the B**** word, but it's just when she's writing a song, so if your child has heard her album unsupervised, they already know it. I don't feel like sheltering them will help them, so teach them about the words and motives being used. This documentary gives a strong female empowerment to any girl or woman watching and really is relatable in so many aspects. My daughter loved it and loved watching Taylor evolve from an insecure and scared young girl to a woman who runs the music business!!!

Adult Written byLucidSound February 5, 2020

Brave and Vulnerable and Important

With themes of body image, self empowerment, love, loneliness, loss; this is a really great documentary. Incredibly well done with important themes.