Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows

Action sequel funnier than the first but still only OK.

Adult Written byStevie111 June 3, 2016

TMNT 2 is slightly better than the first, but still not great

I had zero expectations for this film, so I wasn't disappointed, but it was just okay. It wasn't that good, but it wasn't bad. The action scenes were decent, but I will say Bebop and Rocksteady could've looked better. The story is okay at best and the acting is nothing special, but it is manageable. It is entertaining for the most part. I wouldn't watch it frequently, but it was fine to see. There is some really mild language, but nothing else besides action violence, which isn't even too bad. I wouldn't highly recommend it, but if you're a fan, it may be okay.

Adult Written byCrystal F. August 1, 2016

Language was disappointing!

I was thoroughly disgusted by the language in this movie! Casey Jones called Rock Steady and BeBop sons of b....!! I could not believe that they actually said that during the film!

Adult Written byCrimefighterpunch49 July 27, 2016
This was in some ways better than the first film, as it focused more on the brothers' relationship with each other, so there were some really good moments, and the movie's so much fun overall, it's really hard not to like. However there was a bit of stupid humor, (Bebop and Rocksteady were mostly responsible) And April has a dumb scene where she has to pretend to be a really sexy lady to get some bad guys' information. (But this is fairly brief) The villains still have no backstory or compelling character traits like in the comics or the current tv show, but the movie's overall fun-ness and good messages make up for it. There is more language than the first though, but this is mostly on one scene.

Adult Written bydjblue3 June 16, 2018

A good installment, but could have done better

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 is better than the first one. The violence level is medium with destruction, sword fights, explosions and the partial creepy “Krang”, plane jumping, and tanks! Language has more than the first one with one “s**t”, and less inappropriate curse words.

Adult Written byrebma97 November 14, 2016

Not great, but better than the first

Like CSM said, this film was okay, but it was definitely an improvement on the first one. Out of the Shadows focuses more on the turtles' character development, putting them front and center in this movie, which is great. April is still too sexualized, unfortunately, but she is still resourceful (not a damsel-in-distress) and a good friend to the turtles. Casey was an okay addition to the theme, though it's impressive to see Stephen Amell act out a different character than the one he plays on Arrow. I didn't like Bebop and Rocksteady all that much, but they were nowhere near as bad as Mudflap and Skids. Overall, the film was an improvement on the first one and was overall enjoyable. Violence: Lots of comic-book style action with fighting. Sex: There's a scene where April dresses in a skimpy "school-girl" outfit while undercover. The camera zooms up to her stomach as she pulls her shirt up and on her short skirt. Language: Mild uses of "hell", "damn", etc. and one "s-t".