Kid reviews for Tenet

Nolan's violent, elaborate epic is best for deep thinkers.

Teen, 15 years old Written byJoel_5762 August 26, 2020

Tenet Film Review || weiveR mliF teneT

Christopher Nolan’s TENET is an elaborate, complex, action-packed joyride. Given the limited amount of films releasing in 2020, Tenet is an exhilarating film that definitely earns its release in cinemas. Nolan’s plot is up to his usual standards; awesome action sequences; time-based and extremely confusing. This is arguably the make or break of the film as viewers will either keep up with Nolan's complex story, love it even without understanding the full story, or hate it for the same reason. The idea of time inversion is super creative and visually breathtaking but can definitely be a little confusing; especially in huge, intense action scenes. John David Washington does a splendid job playing ‘The Protagonist’ and is complimented nicely by the suave Robert Pattinson’s ‘Neil’. Both have awesome chemistry and are really enjoyable to watch when they share scenes. Elizabeth Debicki’s performance was definitely also a highlight as she nailed her character portrayal and gave it her all. It was her who surprised me the most as she had a more significant role in the plot than I initially thought. Finally, Kenneth Branagh’s villainous Andrei had me on the edge of my seat. He is cruel, threatening, abusive and Branagh’s chilling performance really makes you love/hate him as a villain. Nolan’s action sequences are some of his best with hand-to-hand combat, gun fights, car chases, and even large explosions. The use of language is pretty ok with only one f bomb being dropped and there isn’t too much drinking, smoking, sex, or anything. An important note, however, Branagh and Debicki’s characters are involved in an estranged relationship with one scene, in particular, showing Branagh’s Andrei being verbally abusive to his wife accompanied by two kicks. This isn’t troubling for teens or adults but may be unsettling for young children under 12? Sadly though, TENET does have its flaws. Character development is very little to none and many do feel almost two dimensional. Furthermore, it feels more like a plot-driven spectacle featuring characters rather than a character-driven action/thriller. I personally felt that the first hour and a bit were quite fast-paced and I wasn’t really able to understand and really love what was going on until it was all revealed later. But my Dad, on the other hand, was sold from the opening minutes and loved it from start to finish. In conclusion, TENET is one of Nolan’s most complex, divisive films that feature stunning time inversion visuals, intense action scenes, and a fitting conclusion.

Teen, 13 years old Written byLukeCon September 21, 2020

Nolan creates a mentally challenging time-travel epic

Christopher Nolan’s Tenet is certainly a challenge, but this could actually be beneficial. Sometimes, a film should not be your typical, simple story that the audience can perfectly understand. We may need some complex films like Tenet, that stretch our thinking and offer an interesting plot. Tenet succeeds in deepening our thinking by providing us with a mental challenge.
Sure, this isn’t Nolan’s best work, but it certainly offers a thoughtful challenge for the audience. It provides us with a complex story that involves time travel, inversion, etc. However, Tenet requires our listening, and paying attention can be very important to understanding the plot of Tenet. Sometimes, Tenet can be confusing, but other times, it could be thought-provoking.
Nolan also offers some interesting concepts used throughout the film, and uses these concepts in an effective way. Inversion is one unique concept displayed throughout the film, and most importantly, it is actually used to move the plot forward. The inversion concept drives the plot in an effective way.
Nolan doesn’t focus much on character for Tenet. Though we know a little about our character, he doesn’t really offer a lot to show about our character. However, Nolan still succeeds in moving the plot forward, and keeping the plot progressing, and he does this effectively in Tenet.
However, there is some iffy content in the film. Here is the content description of the film:

Positive messages: 6/10. The film has a message of determination amidst difficult circumstances; this is a positive message in the film.
Positive role models: 7/10. The main characters are brave in the midst of difficult circumstances, and are also smart when navigating situations.
Violence: 8/10. Violence occurs frequently throughout the film, but is rarely bloody. However, characters are shot in several intense scenes, with a little blood shown. Guns are brandished in multiple scenes. Characters are injured/involved in car chases/crashes and explosions; this is infrequent in the film. A couple characters are beaten in intense scenes, particularly a woman being domestically abused by her husband. Weapons play an important part in the story, and there are some threats of torture explained in the film.
Sex: 3/10. A woman wears some revealing outfits throughout the film. A man is also shown shirtless in a couple scenes of the film. Nudity is very mild in the film. A couple kisses on the cheek occur in the film.
Profanity: 7/10. Infrequent but still rough language is used in the film. One rough use of “F***ing”, which was unnecessary in the film. Other words include repeated use of “S***”, along with some religious profanity used a couple times in the film.
Drinking/Drugs/Smoking: 3/10. Mild social drinking in a couple scenes. Drinking is not frequent but is occasional in the film. Cyanide pills are discussed in the film.

Aside from some iffy content, Tenet succeeds in creating a mental challenge that may be difficult for some viewers, but is overall packed with a thought-provoking premise that requires our attention to detail, especially since key details could be hidden in simple discussions.
Interesting concepts are also used in Nolan’s Tenet. One concept, inversion, was uniquely displayed throughout the film and is also used to drive the plot’s progression forward—and Nolan uses this concept effectively in the film.
Nolan doesn’t focus much on character, but still moves the plot forward, and at least gives a couple details about our characters in the film.
Tenet is a good movie for teens and up (especially people who enjoy complex movies), and I give Tenet 4 out of 5 stars, and recommend it for teens 14 and up.

Teen, 13 years old Written bySherlockandWats... September 20, 2020

Some stuff not mentioned

This movie was great! I went and saw it with my dad. I am a huge Christopher Nolan fan, but this movie wasn’t as good as his others. Still loved the movie, thought. I wanted to mention that there’s a scene describing how someone is going to kill another by “chopping his balls off and choking him with them”. I was caught off guard by that but it there wasn’t anything else like that. There were a few scenes of a female character in a revealing bikini, but nothing too terrible.

Kid, 10 years old September 15, 2020

Convoluted, well made and violent time travel tale.

Violence 4/5
The opening scene involves a terrorist attack on an opera company, which is a hint at the violent action to come. Gunfire, fistfights and destruction/terrorism. Backwards action sequences. A beating, a war, and a revenge murder are all intensely depicted. Car chase with death and wreck. Explosions and death. Strong implications of abuse.
Language 3/5
Multiple uses of profanity, like "s--t" "b---h" and Andre says "f--king"
Sex 1/5
Not much, but a bit of innuendo and suggestive references.
Drinking, Drugs and Smoking 1/5
Some drugs shown and social alcohol use.
Consumerism is not shown.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySamuel Crosby September 14, 2020

Phenomenal and mind blowing!

This movie was amazing! The acting, visuals, score, and plot was very good. It is a little violent but not too violent I don’t remember much blood. It is perfect for the whole family!

Teen, 17 years old Written byThePredator September 14, 2020

So clever. :-O

Such a cleverer movie, but freaking confuzing! Your gonna have to watch it twice to get the full plot, haha that's Christopher Nolan for you XD
Kid, 12 years old September 13, 2020

Incredible visuals yet confusing plot

I am going to start off by saying this: as soon as I got out of the cinema, I had to look up the plot on Wikipedia.
That’s how confusing it was. I think the actual idea was simple (I’m still not 100% sure, though): a baddie wants to do something not good and a goodie is trying to stop them. I think that’s what it was. It seems very simple but everything was just over complicated. Apart from that, everything else was absolutely awesome. I found myself waiting in anticipation for the next action sequence. All the parts where inverting was used were brilliant. It just looks amazing.
Other than the main action scenes, there were some quite nasty ones. An abusive husband throws a pillow at his wife and shouts at her as well as punching her so that she collapses. A terrified and crying character is shot through the stomach and a man is repeatedly bashed in the head with a block of gold once the man is finished, you see the gold with blood all over it.
There are no sexual thing in the film at all which is good.

Overall I thing this film is brilliant but complicated and you should definitely see it in the cinema rather than at home.

Teen, 15 years old Written byTC Chua September 11, 2020

Christopher Nolan at his most bold

Tenet is an extremely wonderful film despite its confusing plot. With terrific visuals, great action set pieces and an awesome soundtrack, Tenet is a great action film. However, it does have incoherent dialogue and little character development. But aside from all of that, it is his best film since Inception.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySharkman 42 September 6, 2020

A surprising masterpiece!

This is surprisingly my favourite Nolan film. Common sense is absolutely right, it is definitely mentally exhausting. it is violent and very dark which I assume all parents should know. When I was sitting in that theatre watching the movie I had no clue on heaven's earth what was going on, but by the end of the movie I had an idea of what the heck just happened the past 2 hours and 30 minutes. I was definitely mentally exhausted by that movie but in a good way. And yes, I think it's a masterpiece, but I would say 15+.

Teen, 13 years old Written bysweetandsour September 6, 2020

“Tenet” Review: Nolan, Or The God Of Time? They Are One And The Same.

DISCLAIMER: We managed to find a showtime with zero other people, or COVID managed to wipe out everyone else. Frankly, I’m not so sure.

“Don’t try to understand it. Feel it.” Tenet was written and directed by Christopher Nolan. It tells the story of “The Protagonist” (John David Washington) who sets out to stop the end of the world by traveling forwards, backward, sideways, and inside out throughout time. Oh, and also inversion is something in the film as well. Basically, from your POV, you are moving normally, while everyone else is moving in reverse, when you’re actually going backwards, and everybody else is moving forward. It’s time travel, but then again, maybe it isn’t? The truth is, I don’t know if anything is anything anymore, my brain is about to explode. Honestly, I didn’t think I was going back to the movies any time soon. However, as I desperately searched for a nearby theatre, I just happened to find one, that was an hour away and was open. That led to the inevitability of seeing my most anticipated movie of the year, Tenet. The groundbreaking, insanely complicated Nolan masterpiece with some flaws. If you were to hold up two pictures to a six-year-old child, one was Christopher Nolan, and the other, Kronos, the god of time. And were to ask, “yo kid, spot the difference or you’ll be punished.” The kid would reply nervously, “b-but, they’re the same.” This kid, whoever he/she may be is completely correct. Nolan is a literal time-bending god. While this may not be his best work, it sure is a wild ride. Remember the good old days of Cars, in this simple film, there was a line, “turn right to go left.” This piece of dialogue wasn’t too complicated, and yet it was the movie's own bit of philosophy. Of course, nowadays we are dealing with somehow having a future in the past and freaking inverted bullets. All I can say is, times are changing lads, times are changing. You, the reader, are probably yawning in boredom thinking “just stop the exposition and get on with the f-ing review.” Welp here goes nothing, what were my flaws?

The setup. The first 15-20 minutes or so got me completely confused. I had no idea what was going on, and couldn’t figure out whether these scenes had anything to do with the rest of the story. Also, I was not ready for the sound of those bullets, Jesus Christ! The movie is like Christopher Nolan holding a gigantic speaker up to someone’s face and turning it up all the way while yelling “is this loud enough for you, mate!?” Of course, you get used to the noise later on, but the beginning made me jump in my seat. In addition, there was a little too much exposition. I know exposition is Nolan’s game, but even in films like Inception, there wasn’t as much exposition. However, there is a plus, the characters explain the movie very well, making Tenet slightly more understandable. But it simply felt like every line of dialogue was plain exposition. There were also some instances in the middle of the film where I felt bored, pretty much the whole setup to the final act felt slow. I would have liked to have seen 15 minutes shaved off the runtime, but that’s not how things played out.

Christopher Nolan is my favorite director by far, that means I have high expectations for each film that he creates. While Tenet didn’t exceed all of them, I sure have a lot of positives. The action is unlike anything Nolan has done before. We have cars moving backwards, buildings reconstructing themselves, a plane crashing into a building. Backwards hand to hand combat. All of this was done with practical effects. The production is truly a visual spectacle, from the intense hallway fight scene, to the excellent car chase, it seems that Nolan has well out Nolan-ed himself, if that’s even possible. And that final battle, man, was that an epic showdown. The landscape was absolutely incredible, the cinematography done at a masterful level, and the score by Ludwig Göransson, the whole movie's soundtrack was utterly brilliant and fierce. Although clogged with exposition, the writing offered up clever explanations for a puzzle that the audience needs to solve. The magic of each Nolan film is that no matter what, if you want to further understand the movie, you need to see it again and again (I’ve seen Inception four times now). Most likely, you’ll never figure it out, but you can certainly try.

I’ve noticed critics criticizing the lack of comedy and emotional characters. For example IndieWire called it a “humorless disappointment.” Oh, I’m sorry, did I miss the part that states Nolan is about making comedies? However, the film actually had a few decent laughs, and the whole point of Nolan’s characters isn’t to make you feel sentimental, it’s to carry out information to the audience. The story can be very confusing at times, but is overall very entertaining. The interesting thing about all of his films is that while the quality always varies, his concept of bending time and reality is always being enhanced. If you look at his career from Following to The Dark Knight and now Tenet, you can tell that his filmmaking style has drastically changed over the years. He’s a true inspiration for all the young filmmakers out there, with ideas just waiting to be written on the page. I really want to see a director’s nomination at the Oscars for Nolan, he has gone above and beyond making an imperfect, sleek, dazzling, philosophical, relentlessly intelligent action movie told with undeniable skill and talent. If you take this film too seriously, you’re going to have a problem with it, all I can say is, go with the flow man, go with the flow.

The cast including John David Washington, Elizabeth Debicki, Robert Pattinson and Kenneth Branagh have all instantly proven to be committed action stars. However, Branagh’s performance is the one that surprised me the most. Andrei Sator is an undeniably frightening villain, and Branagh’s performance was suitably chilling enough for the role. In scenes like the one where he yells at Debicki in their hotel room, you can feel the terror within his lively performance. Washington also provided an excellent performance as “The Protagonist” (Nolan, if you’re reading this, why doesn’t he have a name? If you don’t tell me, I may lose my mind). His level of badass acting and stunt work are showcased at the maximum level of awesomeness. He’s truly an action gem with a future that I can’t wait to see. Also, shoutout to Michael Cain, who...um, is playing the same role...again. He was great as always, even with a small part.

Tenet is action-packed, gunshots, some blood, stabbing, hand to hand combat, explosions. There is some language, occasional uses of sh-t and fu-k. There’s not much romance in the film, some flirting, a bit of kissing. Each character is brave, resilient, independent and shows great teamwork with each other. Overall, if you’re a teen who’s been given the a-okay to go to the cinema, see Tenet on the biggest screen possible. If not, wait for it to come on Amazon, it’ll be worth the patience.

Teen, 15 years old Written byPoe3201 September 6, 2020

It's great

Another great nolan movie you should watch

Kid, 12 years old September 5, 2020
Teen, 14 years old Written byshaun37 September 5, 2020
Teen, 16 years old Written byDanon8484 September 4, 2020

Teen, 15 years old Written bysh124313 September 3, 2020

A great film, while a little confusing

This is a really good movie, defiantly not Christopher Nolan's worst, but it is very confusing and the sound mixing is off, so you can't understand what the characters are saying some of the time. However the characters are great and so is the action. The time bending moments in the movie are great. In the end this is a very violent PG-13 movie, similar to the dark knight. Someone is beaten to death with a gold bar. They don't show the body of the dead man, but they do show the bloody gold bar. Also someone is thrown off a boat and hits a lower deck before falling into the ocean. There is also an abusive husband who almost beats his wife but ends up not doing it. There isn't any sexual content, besides some discussion of sleeping with other people. Overall this is a great movie and a ton of fun.

Teen, 13 years old Written byAJ Awesome September 3, 2020

Insane!!!

This movie is absolutely mind blowing! The story was so complex and unique than anything I’ve ever watched in my life. The only problem I had was the audio, which I couldn’t hear parts of the conversations bc of the booming background music, and I left the cineplex really confused about the whole backwards theme. There was one use of f*ck, but other than that this was an amazing movie overall and I will definitely see this again to catch more details.
Teen, 17 years old Written byEricallt August 31, 2020

Astonishing and complex story

As mastered and astonishing as tremendously hard to understand, you've got to watch it at least twice to understand something.
Nolan's most action-full movie, yet very classy and memorable.
Maybe just a little too much violence for kids though.

Teen, 17 years old Written byRhinoGamerHD August 29, 2020

An intense mind bending journey.

This has messed with my mind and it is very intense. Very good film though but I'm going to watch it again because you need to see it twice. It's very much a cinema experience movie.
Highly recommended.

My age rating: 15+ for intense strong action violence, threat and domestic abuse.
Teen, 13 years old Written byEvanPenguin August 27, 2020

Excellent and mind bending

This technical marvel by Christopher Nolan is truly wonderful entertainment, and contains his signature style of mind bending sci-fi. However, it does not quite live up to other movies such as Inception, the prestige and Memento.

Teen, 14 years old Written bymurdermystery August 27, 2020

Loud, Long Action

TENET contains some language and is very intense. Parents should know about the action violence (more violent than I expected).