All parent member reviews for Thank You for Smoking

Adult Written byGhcool April 9, 2008

Adult Written byKurt Kenya January 4, 2010

Talk to your kids

This is a great vehicle for discussing critical thinking and healthy skepticism with your children, once they have the appropriate maturity level to see deeply enough into the characters. Why is this person saying what he is saying? I really don't care about the language or the smoking. Low, self-destructive behavior is all around us. We choose to participate or we don't. Another good discussion point.
Educator Written byrenroc June 7, 2013

Thought provoking; a good primer on how to be critical of advertising

It's important to realize that Big Tobacco and the other less-than-favorable aspects of the movie are presented as, well, less-than-favorable. Slick arguers and quick-witted (some of) them they may be, but the movie has a not-too-subtle approach to showing us the shallow, morally bankrupt nature of these characters. A great conversation starter.
Adult Written byParranormalHour February 5, 2012

Probably seen worse

I watched this with my eleven year old cousin. (She was 10 at the time) Note this kid has seen worse and could probably beat up my high school's football team. Anyway the more we watched the more I realized she probably shouldn't be watching this and then she turns to me and says "I saw R- rated movies when i was 7 this isn't as bad as any of the others." Makes you wonder huh? Anyway, if you child is anything like my cousin go for it i love this movie but if not then i'd hold off till their about 14.
Adult Written byhomey_j89 April 9, 2008

Adult Written byakfletchers April 9, 2008

Not that great, but...

I didn't think this was really that solid a movie. The joke (sin promoters completely aware of how evil they are) just wasn't big enough to sustain the whole time allotted. But reasonably sophisticated teens should be able to get that it is SATIRE, people. Give the kids some credit!