Parent reviews for That Sugar Film

That Sugar Film Poster Image

More questionable content than reviews let on

Though a great documentary and intriguing message, from a teacher's point of view, it contained more questionable content that I anticipated. Though most high school students can handle it, there was some content that was not mentioned in the initial review of this film or the reviews. The word bullsh*t is said at least once and there are scenes of native tribes walking around completely nude. Some families may also be off-put by the frequent mention of Damon's girlfriend (not wife) being pregnant. The school setting where I planned to show this film is in a rather conservative community, so I just wanted to share.

1 person found this helpful.

Entertaining for kids, solid information for parents and making a good point.

The film is informative and has lots of music and effects that kids find very funny - like people from product labels start talking or the trip into someone's body. For adults it's a good visualization of what the numbers on the labels look like and even if you already know much about sugar - a good remainder. When if comes to the age of the children the length of the movie (1h40min) might be too long for young viewers. My kids (4 and 6) watched about half - enjoyed it a lot and kept asking for the song from the beginning. They also seem to get the point and be less enthusiastic about eating sweets. If they kept watching I would fast forward one scene: a teenager is at a dentist with teeth so bad they all need to be removed. One thing I slightly dislike about the movie is that the healthy diet the main characters goes back to at the end of the movie is the kato diet, which is rather controversial.