All parent member reviews for That's What I Am

Parent of a 9 year old Written byblue_orca May 23, 2014

10 year old wasn't ready for this

We chose this movie for family movie night due to the PG rating. Our daughter (who just turned 10) recently wrote an essay about bullying so we thought she would be okay with the theme. We ended up having to turn the movie off because she got so upset. She was especially bothered by the imagery of the girl being hurt by a bully and the intolerance of the bully's father toward someone who is rumored to be homosexual. She is a pretty sensitive girl but I would recommend waiting until age 12 or 13.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byLou186000 May 11, 2014

good movie with some heavy themes

The synopsis of *That's What I Am" here at commonsensemedia.org is pretty complete, yet I managed to only gloss over it as I hunted for something family-friendly to stream via Netflix on family movie night. I simply noticed the "Age 10" label and we went with it. No regrets, really, but it ended up being a movie we paused a few times to allow for parenting movie breaks. First, the bullying depicted is particularly cruel with moments of real brutality, at least for kids. Though a well-versed movie goer may be able to quickly identify more intense other depictions of bullying in other movies, this one still provided a clear snapshot of how horrible bullying is and how courageous the victims have to be in order to survive and overcome. Second, I *completely* glossed over the bit about "homo" in the synopsis. Left to my own devices I would have waited a bit longer to explain homosexuality to my daughter (I'd already marked the calendar to have that chat on her 40th birthday). Still it was a good discussion we had and I really admire how the topic was handled in the film, a message that tolerance is the ideal, and a recognition that intolerance may always be around. Age 10 may well be the appropriate age for this film as my daughter was able to handle all the heavy themes. Still, I wouldn't have minded waiting another year or so before seeing this film with her.