Parent reviews for The 400 Blows

Landmark French drama of restless, troubled boyhood.

Parent of a 16 and 18+-year-old Written byCCV2015 October 15, 2020

3 Stars by today's standards

Based on what I have read about the film, I'm sure when this was made it was worthy of 5 stars.

By current standards it had:
• no positive messages
• no positive role models
• no violence to. speak of
• no sex to speak of - at most 1 dot on this rating system
• language again 1 or 2 dot rating at most
• no consumerism
• Drinking smoking - a 3 dot rating I would say

Overall, there was little action or plot. Very little of that was interesting or subversive. In fact, I enjoy a movie that can take you on a journey...even if it is sad or strange. But a great movie offers something fascinating or poignant that happens or you learn something; or maybe even offers some redemption. I found none of that here.

In the end, it was too sad that the main character had no kind adult in his life and all the adults were so selfish/unkind (probably not by the standards of the time). At the end of the day, it made me appreciate the times that we live in when it comes to children’s discipline and parenting.
Adult Written byBestPicture1996 August 13, 2014

I'm sure it was striking for its time

After some research into this film to see why it's considered a classic, I realized it was a highly autobiographical film of the director, and that it didn't follow the mold of other French dramas at the time. The movie doesn't have that large a plot to be honest, it's really just the descent of young Antoine, who just can't seem to get his young life together. I wondered to myself when the movie was going to kick it into high gear and earn the 4 star rating it had on my DVR...but it never did it for me. As I suggest, it was probably revolutionary at the time for its themes of rebellion and its sometimes harsh cursing, especially for a 50s movie, but it's just a pretty good movie IMO.

Parent of a 17-year-old Written bytman156 March 1, 2011

A truly incredible movie, appropriate for family viewing

Love this movie, it is the perfect movie for any child. Granted there is some bad behavior, so, make sure you have taught your child what right and what is wrong.
Adult Written byMovieLover4Lyfe May 26, 2010