All parent member reviews for The Adventures of Tintin

Parent Written bygrinned December 22, 2011

Awesome adventure movie, hands down.

My 8 y/o daughter has been a huge Tintin fan for a long time. She has read all the books, seen all the cartoons, and dressed up as Tintin for Halloween. We have been looking forward to the movie since the announcement that it was being made almost two years ago. We watched all the trailers, and I became a little bit anxious about the animation style. I'm not really a big fan of the motion capture animation style. My fears about the animation were settled in the first few minutes of the movie, and I thought it was immensely satisfying to see that the very first character with a full frontal shot is none other than Hergé (he used to draw a cameo of himself in a crowd shot in every book). The movie itself blew all of my expectations out of the water. It was fun, exciting, and a wonderful adventure story. Though it was not a word for word reproduction of the books, it stayed true to the feeling of the stories. It was a lot like watching an Indiana Jones movie, with the style of action involved and the pace, and the fight scenes are well choreographed, and there was nothing overly bloody about any of them. There is one scene where someone gets shot, and there is a small amount of blood on his hand (it's pretty integral to the plot), but it's a cartoon, and it has about the same effect as red paint. This movie is not gory in any sense of the word. That being said, this is a Tintin movie. Yes, Captain Haddock is drunk most of the time. He loves his Whiskey, just as he did in the books. It is, however, constantly getting him in trouble. My personal opinion is that most kids have seen an adult drink on occasion. I think they get a really positive message from watching Haddock. Although he acts really silly and bumbles around, even kids can tell that he really has a problem. The movie does not glamorize his drinking, and in fact it almost gets them both killed. Personally, I think it's great because it shows them that although drunk people can seem really silly (and let's face it we all knew and laughed at the drunk mice in Looney Toons), his drinking has very serious consequences, because he doesn't make the best decisions. Everyone around him treats him with a mixture of exasperation and pity, which is very real, because although he drinks, he is also a very good person at the core, and it really shines through. Tintin never once drinks a drop, and he helps Haddock through to sobriety. Sounds heavy, but it's a very well handled sub-plot in a fantastic kids movie. Haddock even comes back at the end to deliver a speech to Tintin about not giving up. To sum up, my daughter is 8 and she LOVED it, my son is 10 and he did as well. They both laughed their booties off, and are very excited to go see it again in IMAX!
Parent of a 8 and 9 year old Written byCMmom December 22, 2011

This movie should be rated pg-13

This movie should be rated PG-13. It is violent including the main character being shot at with a machine gun. The other main character is a drunk. Toward the end of the movie my son asked me, "Mom, are you sure this movie isn't PG-13?" He was spot on.
Parent Written byRobbyWBoy16 January 4, 2012

Tintin movie 2011

tintin and snoowy bring up some heated and joyfoll action.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bypaulgibbons March 14, 2012

Best kids movie since 'dragon' or 'despicable'

It is great to know that a film can be made which has action without gore, excitement without terror. Haddock is a drunkard - but the main point is Tintin's virtuosity and heroism - which is contrasted with Haddock's 'I've given up..' attitude. Although paired with an adult, Tintin provides all the leadership (moral and otherwise)... It is a cartoon, lots of baddies shooting machine guns at the goodies... perhaps this could scare some very young kids... By the end, Haddock is transformed by the 'Homeric' quest into his former (perhaps admirable) self... so even he is redeemed... On alcohol - it matters whether it is glorified (as in the Hangover) or seen as the source of misery.. in this film, it is crystal clear that drinking can lead to misery... so in that sense a positive on the alcohol front...
Parent of a 10 year old Written byfriendlytoanimals December 27, 2011

more violence and endless boring chase scenes

if the characters are animated does this make violence okay? Basically the entire movie is one big chase and fight scene with very little substance or plot. I will never understand why parents write outraged reviews of movies for having some swearing in them while giving positive reviews to movies like this that are nothing but violence.
Parent Written byPhil4vs8Mom March 11, 2014

Almost over-the-top action

Although not familiar with Tintin previously, our family enjoyed the movie. The animation is fantastic. I felt like the plot lost momentum as the movie went on, and I got worn-out by the non-stop action (which seems to be the norm for 3D movies). As another reviewer noted, the animation is so real that it makes the action, especially the shooting toward the beginning, a bit too real for comfort. Because of that, and the Captain's alcoholism, I would say it is not a movie for young kids. I wouldn't avoid it because of the alcohol for older kids, though, because the drinking is not glamorous, and my kids picked up on the fact that it really interfered with the Captain's ability to function and contribute. It's a good discussion starter.
Parent Written bytldrodd April 6, 2012

Not for young elementary

Fantastic movie and the animation is terrific. The action kept my 11 y/o glued to his seat. It was too much, however, for my 7 y/o. Of particular concern was a reenactment scene where the ships crew was being forced to jump overboard with bound wrists into shark-infested waters. Combined with the gun fire throughout, sword fighting and drinking I'm in agreement that a pg-13 rating seems more appropriate for this one even though it's animated.
Educator and Parent of a 4, 13, and 16 year old Written byBaldwin December 27, 2011

Thrilling, eye-popping adventure movie

This was a non-stop rollercoaster of a movie. The mystery of the plot (if you haven't already read the Tintin books on which it's based) keeps you on the edge of your seat, and the action is on 11 all the way through the movie. It's not for kids who are uncomfortable with a lot of tension, close calls and high impact action scenes. There's implied shootings and stabbings as well as some pretty rough fighting, but no out and out blood or gore. There's also a lot of physical slapstick, and stereotyped characters. What do you expect--it's based on a 1950's comic book series. But it's visually brilliant and Tintin, Captain Haddock and Tintin's dog Snowy are the kind of pure-of-heart, unselfconscious action movie heros you don't see anymore. I won't be showing this to my youngest for several years, but I can't wait until he's old enough. He'll love it.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byCBeth December 26, 2011

A bit of a drag, unfortunately

too much in-your-face action and not enough storytelling. It especially does not work well for those who might not be very familiar with TinTin; who is he? Why dows he get involved with this story? A little more background and a bit more plot development would have helped. If all you want to see is one wild chase and/or fight scene after the other, then by all means, go for it. I found it tiresome, and I am some who enoyed Indiana Jones and Pirates of the Carribean (first movies being the best ofnthose series). My son who has read a lot of the series enjoyed it reasonably but I could tell it was a bit of a disappointment even to him, as he had high expectations going in.
Educator and Parent Written bykwlarson December 31, 2015

Good Movie, Too Scary for 7-Year-Old

My husband has all the original TinTin comics, which my boys have read. When our family watched this movie on DVD, my 9-year-old loved it. However, the many scenes of peril gave my 7-year-old nightmares even with the sound turned way down.
Parent of a 8 year old Written bySandyCheeks2 November 2, 2014

I think this is a great adventure movie! I watched it alone and I completely enjoyed it! Very fast paced full of action and mystery!

Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 11, 2012

I'm impressed.

When I saw the previews for TAOTT I thought it was going to suck,but after I watched it,I LOVED IT! There's beautiful animation,lots of adventure,so much action,ect.
Parent Written byraisingwildhorses July 9, 2012

TinTin-too much violence and drinking

I took my 6 and 4 year old to this and it was way too much for them, although they won't tell you that. There was violence throughout, shootings, and one of the main characters is always drunk looking for his next drink. That went over their head but why expose them to that? Some of the plot went over their head too. Definitely not missing anything if you don't see this one.
Parent Written byJLFM May 12, 2012

If you can get past the drinking and mild violence, this is the best animated film of 2011

Parent of a 9 year old Written bypumpkin2 April 14, 2012

tintin

i think it needed more action because the fighting with cranes was not enough .
Adult Written byJEDI micah April 11, 2012

Like Indiana Jones for kids!

There are 3 things that surprised me about this movie. 1: The animation is absolutely amazing, way better than the animation used for Shrek! 2: There's a lot of gunshots, sword fights, and killing, even some blood shown! 3: The way that one character acts around his addition to alcohol. He mostly acts like this throughout the whole movie. I just think that the violence and drunk behavior would be a little bit too much for kids under 10. Besides that, Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson did a very excellent job with the animation, and you would be impressed as much as I am!
Parent of a 8 year old Written bykleinandlu April 2, 2012

Just to bad, again!

Surprised by this movie. Surprised at the continual barrage of violent movies that are marketed towards our children. As a Tintin fan had expected a better story..as a mother wondered why the slight (in comparison to today) negatives like light violence and the drinking where absolutely highlighted here!!
Parent Written bylily mclauchlin11 March 26, 2012

Tintin: comic

I've read some of the comic books myself, and the movie stays natural to the comic book, and definitely has a moral. The captain gets drunk often, but is acceptable for kids five and up, they'd probably understand.
Parent of a 12 and 16 year old Written byDeepintheheart March 23, 2012

Excellent choice for tween & teen boys!!!

There are SO few movies available that both my 16yo and 12yo boys can both enjoy and please my standards for appropriate content. I was absolutely thrilled with this movie! The 12yo had another 12yo friend sleeping over and all 3 boys enjoyed this movie. We aren't familiar with the Tin-Tin stories at all, but were able to catch on very quickly to the back story about the main character. This movie is intelligent, full of boy-pleasing yet clever humor, plenty of action etc. The animation is superb. I had no problems with the violence level, even if my children were younger. The violence & drinking are a necessary part of the story, like the Indiana Jones series, and this is the kind of material that boys need more of. It's like watching an animated movie from the 1940's. Even younger children will see the obvious reasons why being sober is the smarter choice. I just can't say enough good things about this movie, especially for boys.
Parent Written bycshammer February 3, 2012

Not for young kids

I did not enjoy this movie. A drunk as a main character and a man who gets shot with a machine gun. Not something I want my 5 and 7 year olds to see.