Parent reviews for The Aeronauts

Perilous science adventure lifts but doesn't soar.

Wondering if The Aeronauts is OK for your kids?

Parent of a 10-year-old Written byNicholas H. January 20, 2020

Exciting movie for mature ten year olds and up

This is a better than expected movie and was well acted. There is intense peril, portrayed realistically, which served to inspire awe in our 10 year old at the trials Felicity Jones' character had to overcome with extreme bravery and perseverance. Her character is also coping with loss and a sense of intense guilt about a previous accident that ended in a loved one's death - which is also realistically, but tastefully, portrayed. In short, both of the main characters embody strong positive messages of perseverance, forgiveness and belief in oneself in spite of others' opinions.

As parents we were disappointed that the movie opens with "based on true events". As has been pointed out by others, this is a very loose definition of "true". It is more like, "an embellishment that could be loosely linked to several different true events that happened around that time in history but in different places." - at least insofar as I understand the movie's various historical references. We took the opportunity to let our son know that Hollywood often revises stories to make a more exciting film and pointed out the inaccuracies as the movie went along. That said, it did not hinder his (or our) enjoyment, nor did it take away the power of the messages portrayed.

Adult Written byKen R. January 8, 2020

History As an Adventureous Joke

Tom Harpers movie might have been a near modern historical classic if it had been treated to more truth than fiction. Instead, its Indiana Jones type foolishness eats away huge chunks of what could have been gut tearing historically factual suspense, and replaces it with old fashioned Saturday matinee nonsense - rendering the whole as simply unbelievable. This is a shame as it’s based on some important historical facts that have been treated like mere fictional fodder.

What’s left is just another example of Hollywoods PC gender pushing histrionics. The real-life male hero of this actual ballooning duo has been replaced by a fictional, ultra-modern, female ‘role’ model. Laughably ‘modern’ Hollywood! Given all the real-life, deserving women the scientific world has had throughout history; why not make a movie about one of these - instead of adding a fictional one to our recorded history!

Some nice mock (CGI) aerial photography attempts to camouflage the obvious manipulative agenda pushing, and if seen on a large screen it will supply enough adrenalin rushes for those with a predisposition toward fear of heights or vertigo. The editing style is another drawback - just when things look like getting exiting in the balloon, we are forced back to ground to be shown how difficult it was, in the lead-up, for this duo to get airborne – these don’t work well because we already know they won their battles - so it just serves to slow the whole thing down. Performances are uniformly good, and of its type, even with all the clichés, it’s a good family movie but could have been so much better (and more honest).
Adult Written byHappyBunch6 October 23, 2020

The cinemography was amazing

All of our kids watched this (early double digits to late teen) and they are loved it. While it's historical accuracy is pretty obscene, the beauty of the story and some of the take aways can't be beat. No sex, no foul language, I suggest 10 because the peril can be intense but it's a happy ending. There is a sad scene of a husband to gives his life for his wife. That was a hard pull to swallow. Not gory or anything, but it does show the man distantly falling through the sky. The emphasis is on the wife's reaction and resilience, not the tragedy so that plays out effectively.

Adult Written byAndradeFamily October 23, 2020

Good for families, mature-minded kids

We just watched this movie with our 8-year old son and we all loved it, but I could see how this movie wouldn’t be ok for some kids. It has some intense scenes but overall teaches strength and resilience and believing in oneself. Strong female and male lead characters, just the type of people you’d want your kids to learn from.

Movie starts off intense, and through the movie the protagonists almost die, someone falls to their death. But if your child is ok with the concept of death then they’ll be fine. There was one falling scene I couldn’t watch, as I don’t particularly like heights.

Used the word “damn” once, otherwise no other questionable language.

Last thoughts for those who may be concerned:
- heights / fear of heights
- near death experience
- little bit of blood, but no gore or fighting
- concept of suicide (minimal)
- 17th century sexism (which the heroin defies/overcomes)

Overall great film, but some younger kids may not be ok with the intensity.

Parent of a 10-year-old Written bysterdun July 27, 2020
Parent of a 11 and 13-year-old Written bydort1618 June 13, 2020

Boring and slow

The cinematography was beautiful, but the choppy story line did not make it suspenseful. It goes back and forth between present and past, but it does not help the plot at all. It remains slow and gets boring.
Parent of a 5, 10, and 10-year-old Written bysilwuttke February 19, 2020

AERONAUTS

GREAT ACTING! Lots of violence, sadness, and peril some uses of damn, and da*n it but great messages and role models it is based on a true story and because of them we have weather forecast.

Adult Written byFuschialucia January 7, 2020

Outstanding!

My husband and I absolutely loved this movie. It was suspenseful, touching, and inspiring!

Adult Written byDrBiodiva December 28, 2019

Incredible Drive & Will to Survive

Fascinating story about how driven people can be to achieve goals, survive once they exceed their human limits, and even greater tale of God’s mercy when they mess up. The story has beautiful imagery and characters that repeatedly overcome all odds, at terrifying altitudes. The ending could have portrayed a stronger romance in the form of a kiss or a marriage, but otherwise, it was excellent.

Adult Written byKnotything December 26, 2019

Great drama

Realistic, engaging, and great acting

Adult Written bynodlamener49 December 23, 2019

Inspiring movie

This is a must watch movie, there’s plenty of thrilling situations. The movie shows how a scientist and a really tenacious woman barely survive trying to prove weather predictability.
Adult Written byTee6677 December 10, 2019

Rating movie

From what I saw it’s a movie adults should watch with kids that are young adults
Adult Written byQwertysaurus December 9, 2019

Awesome movie

Loved this movie suitable for anyone though kids under 12 might not understand and the movie has a couple inaccuracies

Adult Written bymovieman48 December 7, 2019

Terrific visuals but plot sags

This film is actually based on a true story but unfortunately the lady concerned in the film is a totally fictional character. The film is spectacular in the visuals and is certainly worth seeing for that but the plot does sag and I thought the film could have been somewhat shorter. But it’s certainly worth watching for the visuals especially on the big screen. Good performances from everyone concerned