All parent member reviews for The Amazing Spider-Man

Adult Written byjoshua martinez July 3, 2012

12 and up.

this action/adventure movie The Amazing Spider-Man is a great action movie good for your teens and fans that like spider man and parents the only thing that spider man has is some mild violence and some mild language used the message is about Teamwork and collaboration play important roles, and love familial, romantic and the role models are that Peter Parker is really trying to do the right thing, but he often comes off as a classically immature teen self-absorbed, insensitive, and at times narcissistic and Gwen is a smart, independent young woman who, unlike many superhero movie female leads, doesn't need rescuing. Uncle Ben and Aunt May teach Peter the importance of responsbility and unconditional love.
Parent of a 10, 15, and 16 year old Written bymwestjohnson July 6, 2012

Not Your Average Peter

What was disappointing in this reboot to me, is that Peter Parker is portrayed as a more selfish, bratty, emotional teenager than before. His tantrums and lack of respect for his Aunt May and Uncle Ben had me stupeified. I will stick to the Sam Raimi versions, or the cartoons, for my Spiderman fix. I must say, my kids aged 10, 15 and 16 really enjoyed it. I would not want this Peter Parker as their role model though!
Parent of a 5, 8, and 11 year old Written bytwoandtwo July 10, 2012

Subtle but Troubling

My boys are superhero nuts, so they were very excited to go see this movie, as were their parents! The story was good-I enjoyed it even though I am very much a fan of the earlier movies with Toby Maguire. What bothered me were the role models that were portrayed in the two main characters-Peter and Gwen. Just a warning that Gwen's skirts are VERY short and Peter does not have integrity and self-sacrifice as his main focus by the end of the movie. (Spoiler Alert) He makes a promise to Gwen's dying father that he will not continue to pursue her because it would put her in danger, and then after he dies Peter makes a smirky comment about making promises he can't keep, leading to the assumption that he will indeed break his promise. This may have flown past my radar if I weren't there with my boys, but trying to raise kids to understand honor and self-sacrifice tends to make moms on alert for stuff like this. It was disappointing because so many kids will look to this character as a role model, and up until that point in the movie he was very likable.
Adult Written bypepsifan32532 July 14, 2012

17+

Killings are brutal in this movie.
Adult Written bychristian2011 July 8, 2012

Great Movie.

The Amazing Spiderman movie was more than I anticipated when I first saw the preview for it a while ago. The story, acting, special effects and the new actor who plays as Peter Parker is brilliant. It'sdefinitely better than the previous three spiderman movies with Toby McGuire. It is a definite summer movie to see, probably the best out of them all.
Parent Written byJoyC July 5, 2012

Great Reboot

I didn't think the recent series needed a reboot, but this was very good. No language to speak of, no sex, just some violence with a large man-lizard. Intense for small kids, but anyone over 8 should be very entertained.
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written byInle March 4, 2013

Too Long to Start

I rented this movie for my Spider-Man obsessed 5 year old to watch while he was home from school with the flu. The movie takes so long with the back story of Peter Parker that my sick 5-year-old lost interest before the action even started. For older kids I don't think this would be a problem. I was also a little upset with the bullying scenes when I watched it with my young son, for an older kid this probably isn't an issue. The other Spider-Man movies were not quite so violent or graphic or sexual as well. Not that this one was over the top or anything it was just more so than the other Spider-Man movies. I would suggest this movie for 10-year-olds on up. For the younger kids stick with the other Spider-Man movies or the Avengers films there is more fun in those and less melodrama-teen-angst.
Parent of an infant, 1, 7, 12, 13, and 18 year old Written byconcernedgrandmadawg December 15, 2012

a concerned grandma

botting slinf flosnf sjjj
Adult Written bynbafan3535 July 13, 2012

Too violent for kids.

Lots of graphic violence.
Adult Written bycharlie2411235 July 13, 2012

Too violent and sexy for kids.

The movie is extremely bloody, sexy, and innapropiate.
Educator and Parent Written byTeacherMom3 July 13, 2012

Wait till it's on netflix or redbox or huluplus.

I found the movie cheesy at times, but of course Martin Sheen and Sally Fields brought their skills to the screen in a way that made the movie interesting for me. My children (15, 14, 12) LOVED the movie. LOVED it. Being thrifty, though, I didn't get enough out of it to merit the money. There wasn't much that my children wanted to talk about afterwards. There are a couple of things that I will bring up with them in the days to come, though: I was bothered that Peter dissed the police officer when he was caught webbing up a car thief. I think all of us should show respect to the hard-working police officers that keep our communities safe, and I don't appreciate them being portrayed as buffoons. I was also tremendously bothered about the last line: the best promises are the ones you don't keep. I understand that he said this to let Gwen know that he is going to stay in her life; however, if he's going to break the promise to her dying father there should have been some screen time devoted to how he thought that through or arrived at that conclusion. It was incongruous to find this in such a black-and-white movie. Would a superhero really break his promise?
Parent of a 5, 6, and 8 year old Written byjoanneguerrerio... July 9, 2012

Not for kids

I went to see Spiderman before I took my grandson. I felt the killing of his uncle was too vivid of a death. Also the death of his girl friends father was too vivid for children. These characters have to die for the story plot but for kids I think it does not have to be so vivid and bloody. Kids can walk away from that movie and have a negative reaction and be scared. The superhero stuff is OK and super hero fun . All of that is comic book . The vivid deaths of the two fathers i feel can negatively impact children. The movie could have been done without such detail of those deaths. It would not have been so sad.
Parent Written bySuperMommy101 July 6, 2012

Good overall messages!

I just took my 9 year old son to see this movie. He has seen all 3 of the previous Spiderman movies (with Toby Maguire). Before going to this movie tonight I thought the other reviews about this movie being much better couldn't be all that... but this movie is better. It gives you more of the history of Pater Parker. I do think it is strange to throw in a new female lead (Gwenn). I never read the comic books, but I thought MJ was always Peter's love interest??? Once the credits come on at the end, make sure you hang around so you can see another minute of movie. As far as the language goes, the "Mother Hubbard" saying that Peter says one time did not sound to me like it was supposed to be a replacement for another phrase. It fits right in the context...Gwenn is doing something that is taking care of a problem and it almost sounds like he is just sying she is acting like a little mama. My 9 year old son LOVED this movie and says it was better than the others. When it was over he asked why it couldn't have been 18 hours long!!! This movie has more feeling/emotion than the other three and therefore I appreciated it more. But the action was still all there so he appreciated it more as well. The kid who plays Peter Parker does an excellent job (not to say that Toby Maguire didn't do a good job as well... I don't want to knock someone else's hard work). Martic Sheen and Sally Field were an EXCELLENT addition (and suprise... I had no idea Sally Field was in it!) Overall a good movie and the action/violence is mostly between a lizard and Spiderman - not between real people. And Spiderman does a great job at helping real people. He is a responsible role model as well. He even replaced a man hole cover in the street after he came out of it (I am always trying to get my 9 year old to put things back the way he found them - or better). I would recommend it, it was worth letting my son watch it.
Parent Written byfatherkeith July 6, 2012

Great 3D movie

This is a great movie and took advantage of all of the 3D experiences. However, do not compare it to other spiderman movies or you will find flaws in it. I will say that this is a movie for 13+ because of the sudden suprises during the movie. Oh do not jump out of your seat to leave after the movie. There is a teaser after the credits. That is all I am going to say.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byedklat August 29, 2014

Educator and Parent of a 1, 2, 4, 6, and 14 year old Written bySuperherofan May 18, 2014

Better than the first Spiderman movies.

Barely any Language.for sex just kisses. But the Bad guy can be scary to younger children.
Parent Written bySimaM May 4, 2014

Beware not suitable for kids

I was amazed to read the costumer reviews that recommended this movie for the whole family. I left with my kid after 10 min of its start. The movie start with the parents leaving Peter alone in a house then the killing of the parents on the plane in a violent way and the crashing of the plane in the ocean. The movie then cuts off to having Peter as a grown up as spider man fighting a criminal lots of shooting and hitting is involved in that scene.... needless to say we left shortly after, I would not recommend this movie to a family with young kids and stick with 13+.
Parent of a 1 and 9 year old Written bybowlerskates August 5, 2013

Darker than the Macguire Version

As an adult, I like it better than the Toby Macguire version, but not by much. I feel like Parker has a bit more depth this time. The effects are amazing. There are lots of scary parts including a truly vicious man/lizard hybrid. Also, even though he's the bad guy, I found the scenes where the lizard man is shot by a group of police officers and later blasted several times with a shotgun to be pretty intense. It's darker, waaaay more scary, and has more shooting and blood than the Toby version; there's also a fairly long suggestive scene where Peter has his shirt off and is having his wounds tended to by Gwen Stacy.
Adult Written byWill loves movies May 31, 2013

Amazing.

The Amazing Spider-Man is like it's namesake, amazing. Andrew Garfield takes over from Tobey Maguire in the reboot of the Spider-Man franchise and delivers a great portrayal of spidey. Emma Stone is incredible as Gwen Stacy. Now the postive message is pretty much like the original movie. Andrew Garfield's Peter is a good role model but not like Tobey Maguire's Peter. There is not a lot of violence but when there is it is quite intense. The scene where Peter's beloved uncle is killed by a gunshot is quite bloody. Also SPOILER: Gwen's dad Cap Stacy is impaled by the Lizard and dies shortly after. The sexual content in this movie is as follows: Peter, not knowing about his spider powers, touches a woman's shirt to apologize to her and when not able to take his hand off of her another guy pushes Peter away ripping off her shirt revealing her bra. Peter and Gwen also kiss sometimes passionately. There is some mild profanity but Peter does exclaim a unfinished Mother---- as well as a slang version of it (Mother Hubbard). Thanks for reading.
Parent Written byDouglasDouglas April 24, 2013

Very Entertaining Movie

This movie has violence that could scare younger or immature kids. I think someone 9 and up with an average maturity could handle this movie, even if a few scenes might be considered somewhat intense. There are scenes of romantic suggestion as well as kissing. I would let my very bright 9 year old son watch it with his mother and I present, but not my 7 year old daughter, who wouldn't be interested in this type of movie anyway unless it had a princess or talking butterfly in it, or something like that. In regard to message and role model, Peter Parker is a teenager who struggles with his emotions due to his parents leaving him and his uncle being murdered. Due to these circumstances, he may come across as another self-absorbed and mildly rebellious typical teenager, motivated by revenge and using his new power as a tool. That's the main message though, using his power responsibly, but the young protagonist must learn it firsthand and makes mistakes along the way. Despite all of that, as Spiderman, you can see that he has a strong sense of justice and ultimately strives to do the right thing in spite of his underdeveloped emotional intelligence and lack of awareness of objectivity, both often associated with kids of his age. With the wisdom and guidance of his kind-hearted grandparents, Peter is an overall good person who tries to do the right thing, and the movie portrays him with great character and good person. Despite some human flaws, P.Parker as Spiderman is portrayed as every bit the hero that has kept his story alive for generations. Sometimes, due to inexperience, mistakes are made but he always learns from them, ultimately becoming a better person on his path to the altruistic and self-sacrificing hero your friendly neighborhood Spiderman is known for.