All parent member reviews for The Amazing Spider-Man

Adult Written byWill loves movies May 31, 2013

Amazing.

The Amazing Spider-Man is like it's namesake, amazing. Andrew Garfield takes over from Tobey Maguire in the reboot of the Spider-Man franchise and delivers a great portrayal of spidey. Emma Stone is incredible as Gwen Stacy. Now the postive message is pretty much like the original movie. Andrew Garfield's Peter is a good role model but not like Tobey Maguire's Peter. There is not a lot of violence but when there is it is quite intense. The scene where Peter's beloved uncle is killed by a gunshot is quite bloody. Also SPOILER: Gwen's dad Cap Stacy is impaled by the Lizard and dies shortly after. The sexual content in this movie is as follows: Peter, not knowing about his spider powers, touches a woman's shirt to apologize to her and when not able to take his hand off of her another guy pushes Peter away ripping off her shirt revealing her bra. Peter and Gwen also kiss sometimes passionately. There is some mild profanity but Peter does exclaim a unfinished Mother---- as well as a slang version of it (Mother Hubbard). Thanks for reading.
Parent Written byDouglasDouglas April 24, 2013

Very Entertaining Movie

This movie has violence that could scare younger or immature kids. I think someone 9 and up with an average maturity could handle this movie, even if a few scenes might be considered somewhat intense. There are scenes of romantic suggestion as well as kissing. I would let my very bright 9 year old son watch it with his mother and I present, but not my 7 year old daughter, who wouldn't be interested in this type of movie anyway unless it had a princess or talking butterfly in it, or something like that. In regard to message and role model, Peter Parker is a teenager who struggles with his emotions due to his parents leaving him and his uncle being murdered. Due to these circumstances, he may come across as another self-absorbed and mildly rebellious typical teenager, motivated by revenge and using his new power as a tool. That's the main message though, using his power responsibly, but the young protagonist must learn it firsthand and makes mistakes along the way. Despite all of that, as Spiderman, you can see that he has a strong sense of justice and ultimately strives to do the right thing in spite of his underdeveloped emotional intelligence and lack of awareness of objectivity, both often associated with kids of his age. With the wisdom and guidance of his kind-hearted grandparents, Peter is an overall good person who tries to do the right thing, and the movie portrays him with great character and good person. Despite some human flaws, P.Parker as Spiderman is portrayed as every bit the hero that has kept his story alive for generations. Sometimes, due to inexperience, mistakes are made but he always learns from them, ultimately becoming a better person on his path to the altruistic and self-sacrificing hero your friendly neighborhood Spiderman is known for.
Parent Written bydavidrox January 21, 2013

Nice, but think of your child

I liked it. it had a great plot line, and a much less corny feeling then the earlier spidermen movies. Andrew gafile is perfect as spidy, and has a a deathly villain to oppose him. however, some of the time the violence is bad, and language is also sometimes bad, this movie could be good for ages twelve and up. My MPAA Rating Is: PG-13 For comic violence, brief language, and brief sexuality.
Parent Written byMT CRITIC January 20, 2013

Yet another web slinging hit!

As a start to a new Spiderman film series, it's not as good as the original Spiderman in 2002.Toby Maguire owns Andrew Garfield! However, its still an awesome movie to keep Spiderman alive on the big screen.
Parent Written byadventuredad November 26, 2012

weak movie that's too scary for younger kids

My 11 year old found this much too scary. He was left cold by the romance aspect of the movie (which is unsurprising). The movie is exciting enough, but the plot has some big holes and the characters have little character. I found the first Tobey Maguire spider-man film to be much, much better. That movie, too, is not for kids under 11.
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 21, 2012

The movie itself is amazing.

This is a fun movie.Great action,adventure,and everything! I recommend this diamond to any Spider-Man fan!
Parent Written byShivom Oza August 25, 2012

The Web-Slinging Superhero Amazes, Yet Again - Shivom Oza

‘Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man’ is back yet again, in a new avatar, featuring an all-new star-cast as ‘The Amazing Spider-Man’. This film stays rooted to the Marvel comics and does not experiment much. So, you have Gwen Stacy and not Mary Jane Watson as Peter Parker’s girlfriend. Peter’s father Richard Parker plays a very important role in the film, and the franchise (Yes, the sequel is very much ON!) and the antagonist of the story is Dr. Curt Connors (Lizard) and not Norman Osborn (Green Goblin). Leaving aside all the aforementioned factors, the soul of ‘Spider-Man’ (2002) and ‘The Amazing Spider-Man’ (2012) remains the same. Peter Parker (Andrew Garfield) is an outcast high school student, deserted by his parents as a boy and raised by his Uncle Ben (Martin Sheen) and Aunt May (Sally Field). Like most teenagers, Peter is introspective; trying to figure out what made him the person that he is today. He is also smitten by his school mate Gwen Stacy (Emma Stone). Peter gets hold of an old briefcase that belonged to his father Richard Parker, hidden away in his Uncle’s basement. This leads him to Oscorp and his father’s former partner Dr. Curt Connors (Rhys Ifans). The mystery deepens as Peter’s life changes along with Connors’ owing to cross-species genetics. What follows is a battle of might between ‘the masked vigilante’ Spider-Man and the horrifyingly gruesome ‘Lizard’. Talking about the casting, comparisons with the original silver screen ‘Spider-Man’ Tobey Maguire are inevitable. No one can take away any credit from Maguire’s performances in the three ‘Spider-Man’ films. He has been the ultimate web-slinging superhero for an entire generation ever since the first film hit the screens in the year 2002. You wouldn’t imagine any actor taking his place in this franchise for a long time to come. However, Andrew Garfield (who has shown as an actor in films such as ‘Boy A’ and ‘The Social Network’) comes off as a pleasant surprise. He provides edginess to the character, yet manages to retain the inherent introvert in Peter Parker. While watching the film, you would wonder how Tobey would have pulled off a particular scene, but thankfully Garfield holds his own. It must have been a tough predicament for Garfield to step into Spider-Man’s shoes (and suit!), but he does well and how! Emma Stone is brilliant as the gorgeous, spunky and extremely intelligent Gwen Stacy. Although, it wasn’t a difficult role to pull off, lengthy and significant, it certainly was and Stone does a marvellous job! If you thought Kirsten Dunst was the one blip on the radar in the previous franchise, Emma is brilliant and her chemistry with Garfield (also her alleged beau) is electrifying. The antagonist Rhys Ifans plays Curt Connors, the scientist with the amputated right hand, (he likes to call himself a southpaw!) impresses. The writers could have done so much with his character. For instance, make it more negative. However, they let CGI (Computer-generated Imagery) do that job with the ‘Lizard’. Martin Sheen as Uncle Ben doesn’t make as much of an impact as Cliff Robertson did in Sam Raimi’s 2002 version. Sally Field as Aunt May also, is not given much prominence. Her scenes have been thrown in haphazardly. They could have certainly shown more of the Parker couple. Finally, our very own Irrfan Khan also features in the film. Although the length and the significance of his character (Rajit Ratha), is little, the actor could have done much better. Yes, it is a proud moment to see an Indian actor play a prominent role in a big-ticket Hollywood blockbuster. However, it hurts to see such a brilliant talent speaking in a weird accent, trying to fit into a role that does not belong to him. Irrfan should have let this role go; rather the casting department should have been aware of his English speaking skills. Talking about the writing and the direction, the first half does make you yearn for the old Spider-Man to comeback. You wonder why they had to tamper with a franchise that culminated as recently as in 2007 (‘Spider-Man 3’). Director Marc Webb of ‘(500) Days Of Summer’ fame manages to inculcate in this film, contemporariness, and succeeds. The team of writers have stayed as rooted to the works of Stan Lee and Steve Ditko, as possible. Sam Raimi added his own touch to the hugely successful comic superhero and Webb provides it with his own edge. As already mentioned, the comparisons are inevitable. The CGI is phenomenal in the film. Scenes featuring Spider-Man and Lizard look amazing on the big screen. 3D is average, watching the film on 2D wouldn’t make a difference. The film relies heavily on the visuals, and delivers. James Horner’s music is great, though not memorable! Overall, the film is an enjoyable ride. It’s a delight that it releases in India before most other places in the world! The ‘Spider-Man’ franchise of Sam Raimi and Tobey Maguire is still watchable, even after a decade. Can’t say if one would watch ‘The Amazing Spider-Man’ in 2022, but in 2012, you should definitely give it a shot! DO NOT LEAVE THE CINEMA HALL TILL THE PRINCIPAL END CREDITS ROLL! Shivom Oza
Parent of an infant, 13, and 16 year old Written byParentReviewer August 8, 2012

The Amazing Spider-Man is Truly Amazing!

This Movie was Great! Met my expectations exactly! I liked it more than Raimi's movies! There wasn't anything really bad. Just some Comic Book-Style violence and a couple curses but nothing too bad. I did pick up on an innuendo though ;)
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byCTbrowncoat July 23, 2012

Lizard is kinda intense, but overall this Spidey is pretty tame.

Minor kissing, no bad language. If your kids can handle the Lizard tearing up cars and getting shot by policemen with machine guns, should be fine. More intense than scary at points. Less scary than the Tobey Maguire Spider-Man (green goblin).
Adult Written byMariaKalli July 21, 2012

Great movie, no issue for hardy 7+ year olds

I am very protective over what my kids watch, but this movie sounded ok for them (thanks to this website) and, thankfully, it really was. My boys are 6 (a very hardy 6) and 9. The movie is more suspenseful than scary. There are moments when the "monster" looks scary, so it may depend on your children, but I never had that moment of regret during the film of "oh no, they shouldn't be seeing this, it's going to scare them/give them nightmares/etc." They just found it exciting and energizing, and so did I. Really great film, for kids and adults
Parent of a 1, 3, 6, and 10 year old Written bycodybear36 July 20, 2012

sm

my sons that are 10 and 16 saw it and loved it! It was fine for my 10 year old.
Parent Written byproudtobeamom July 17, 2012

I'm going to hell!

I never knew of this website until my girlfriend told me about it after we brought our kids (ages 7 and 8) to the movie. It is definitely different from the other Spider Man movies. Although our boys did fine with the violence and scary parts, there were definitely some sexual innuendos inappropriate for young kids.
Adult Written bydavyborn July 16, 2012

Overly-careful spider-man reboot isn't necesary

Marc Webb's spider-man reboot, classically titled The Amazing Spider-Man, is not a film that I was all that excited about, considering all of the other notable delegits that are debuting this summer, such as Prometheus, the Avengers, Dark Shadows and the hotly-anticipated The Dark Knight Rises, which looks infinitely better. Now, i enjoyed all three of the films from the original Spider-Man trilogy, including the often hated-upon third entry in the trilogy, Spider-Man 3. Now, despite the fact that the films often weren't often very faithful to the original comic books, with big examples being the fact that the movies had Mar Jane Watson as Peter Parkers love interest, when in the comics, Gwen Stacy was there all along, and Mary Jane only came into the scene much later. And, for another example, and perhaps, the great example of them all, look no further than...Spider-Man 3, itself. But, enough about thsoe films, let's talk about the 2012 version, The Amazing Spider-Man. Now, in my broadened opinion, the film spends every single solitary minute of it's 136 minute running time attempting to stitch up all of the wrong doings that the previous three films had commited against the oriignal comic books, but, the 2012 version spends far too much time trying to make everything exactly like the comic books, all the while forgeting to cast actors who actuallty surpass the previous et of actors, make some actuallly enjoyable and well-made action sequences, and most importanyl, at the very least, have fun with it. The film does none of these. It just lays limp for a dreary and brazenly dull 136 minute running time, with notable actors such as Martin Sheen, Sally Field, Denis Leary and Rhys Ifans having to just stand-in and act around the kids. Speaking of Rhys Ifans, he is completely wasted here, as is the villain which he portrays, the Lizzard. This film, who we have never before seen in action in a movie, is a brutal dissapointment, and a crude misjudgement of what stands as an adequet villain for todays super hero movie. The fact that there is almost no character development with this character is rather tragic, considering that we really should care about this character, but we really don't. Now, since this film is given the usual superhero summer blockbuster certificate of the PG-13 Rating, the following parental content is pretty much as follows: There is relatively frequent sequences of sci-fi action and violence, with some scenes of high school bullying and a murder involving Peter Parkers uncle Ben. Also, there is prominent but mild sensuality and innuendo throughout the film, with several lines of dialoge that will go over the heads of most children. And, finally, there is moderate but mild language, including a few uses here and there of d-mn, h-ll and a--. So, is the Amazing Spider-Man a dissapointment? You bet. Was I expecting any better? Asbolutely not. Still, it makes for a thoughtful-to be sure-but mislead accident.
Adult Written bydarkknightrises232 July 14, 2012

Graphic violence makes this one not for kids.

The movie has strong violent content.
Adult Written byRIksworld July 14, 2012

The Amazing spider man

Spider man looks good in this movie.Effects and look are very nice in this movie It is new story in this movie.
Adult Written bywatchfearfacter343 July 11, 2012

I saw it opening day and I loved it.

This is by far the most violent and bloody of all of the spiderman movies, but alos the best.
Parent Written byreg70 July 7, 2012

Very Good

Well, I thought it was good! My son is 7 and he thought it was awesome! Of course, he has seen the last three Spider-Man movies and he liked them. No more violent than Star Wars. And if you child likes Star Wars then they will like this movie.
Educator and Parent Written bychiqmom July 6, 2012

An additional family talking point!

I think that you can also talk about the desire to be "perfect" or "strong", which is what drives the "villain" to madness, and how it is important to accept yourself as you are, weaknesses and all. Also, for the younger viewers, this is a high school movie, so there is quite a bit of smooching going on. Thus, my suggestion that it's best for tweeners and up.
Adult Written byJEDI micah July 4, 2012

With great power, COMES GREAT RESPONSIBILITY!!!

If there's one thing that is a complaint about this new reboot of our favorite web-slinging hero, it's that this Spider-Man slings his web from two devices instead of it coming out of his wrists like the other movie. The web devices make Spider-Man's climbing power as his only TRUE power. But, it is based on the comic. Other than that, this is an awesome movie! I love Spider-Man! It was totally worth seeing it in 3-D!