All parent member reviews for The Ant Bully

Adult Written bynglore April 9, 2008

Least of all Insect Movies

My first impression of the ants left me wishing the ant bully would have been victorious in his mission. The best part of the movie was the Grandma (the deleted scenes actually gave me more entertainment then the movie itself). I just could not get "into" this movie. The moral lesson was fair, and the ideas seemed fresh but the movie was dull throughout (it was no "Bugs Life"). My rating for this movie would have to be 1.7 stars.
Adult Written bytavosmom April 9, 2008

Child is verbally abused by an adult in this film!

There is no mention anywhere else in the review or parent comments of the scene where the exterminator character verablly abuses the child character, Lucas. In the scene, Lucas' parents are not home, and the exterminator tries to coerce Lucas (who must be about 7 or 8) into signing a contract to fumigate their front yard. Lucas says no, explains that his parents didn't tell him anything about it, and tells the man that he shouldn't sign it. The adult exterminator then mocks Lucas in a demeaning sing-songy voice saying, "You can't make a decision for yourself! You're just a little baby! I bet your mommy has to wipe your bottom!" And then he turns around and uses his hands to spread his butt cheeks. Lucas is visibly upset and signs the contract to prove that he is "grown up." The coercion and verbal abuse by the adult in this film is atrocious. My son (4 years) was confused and upset by this scene, which I used as a teaching moment to explain that not all adults are safe for children. The continuous stream of name calling and use of the word "stupid" and "jerk" contributes to my dislike of this movie. The professional review does not mention this. I could not find any other parent reviews that comment on this scene. Please consider this carefully before allowing your precious child to watch this movie. I could have gone without exposing my child to the cruelty in "The Ant Bully" if I had known about this scene. Now you can make a more informed decision for your family. Thank you. Emily S. Hillsboro, OR
Adult Written byjaiekeller April 9, 2008

IS there such a rating as PG +

The crude humor, nakedness (even if it is a cartoon), and disgusting body part references or scenes were too grotesque and a bit risque for our kids (or what we wanted them exposed to throughout the entire movie). Hello, going up a man's leg, heading for the 'sensitive' spot, talking to lice and flakey skin on the head, hanging off nose hairs, aiming for a butt crack...Hated it. Bought it because the message and plot sounded good and returned it soon after viewing the movie.
Adult Written byspongezim March 15, 2009

maybe for kids older than eight

It mentions private parts and shows bugs dying. It also show a bug that has his head cut off it might not be for small children
Adult Written byclas April 9, 2008
Adult Written byclarence August 6, 2015
Parent Written byNateMorey December 25, 2013

One of my favorites.

I absolutely loved this movie! The ending is a bit over the top as far as ditching reality to be happy but hey, it's a kids movie after all. Great moral lessons and something I think a lot of today's kids don't have, a lesson on thinking about OTHERS! great character development and the voice acting is one of the best I have experienced! I would highly recommend this movie. I see it compared to "Ants" and "A Bugs Life" due to it involving ants but it is (other then the message of working together) a completely different movie. other then my initial thought at seeing the cover of the film, I did not once think of those other, very different movies. this film was unique in it's approach on modern day issues.
Parent Written byRun boy run. September 9, 2012

I HATE THIS MOVIE, PARENTS DON'T EVER LET YOUR KIDS WATCH THIS!

HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!
Parent of a 13 year old Written byDr. Weird September 12, 2010

Bad.

Terrible.
Parent of a 11 year old Written bycorneater January 24, 2010

CAUTION: OVERDOSE ON STUPIDITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is probably one of the dumbest if not the dumbest movie I have ever seen. My 3 year old son didn't even like it! THIS MOVIE JUST ISN'T GOOD IN SO MANY WAYS!!!!!!! The main character is especially ugly and he has no morals not that it matters at all but, it is plainly a pointless movie in all means. I AM A TRUE HATER ON THIS HORRIBLE MOVIE!!!!!! IF U HAVE ANY SELF RESPECT DON'T WATCH THIS MOVIE!!!!!!!! THANK GOODNESS WE HAVEN'T SEEN A SEQUEL TO THIS GARBAGE!!!!!!
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written bymum@home January 18, 2009

Great lessons, plot and action all rolled into a movie!

This movie has bright animation and superb action sequences. The action sequences held my son's attention and kept him interested for the entire movie, which is hard to come by. There are lots of lessons within the movie. The boy, Lucas, who is picked on by his peers, then in turn picks on someone smaller than himself (the ants). Once Lucas becomes an ant he feels empathy for the creatures he once bullied. He also realizes that working as a team is more productive. Lucas begins to feel important and part of society. There are some parts which might frighten some young children. Lucas is in peril when he is shrunk because he is now lower on the food chain. But, he is also in peril as a human because he is small and the target of a bully. It allows great conversation on the topic of bullying.
Adult Written bychesneyj April 9, 2008
Adult Written bydarell April 9, 2008
Adult Written bygonzalitros April 9, 2008
Adult Written bycoolmancool April 9, 2008

Vaguely reminiscent of . . .

James and the Giant Peach, except this young boy gets the bully message, instead of escapism from abusive relatives. I cried!-because it dragged on. I laughed-and sighed with relief since it was only a rental! The whole 'magic potion' theme is a bit tired. My kids, ages 10 and twelve, gave it one viewing but weren't thrilled with the rehashed A Bug's Life animation that this movie has. Had much higher expectations, but another talking insect movie a la Antz, et al, in not a major breakthrough!
Adult Written byTheresaH April 9, 2008

Hooked!

My eight year old son saw this movie and was hooked right from the start! He doesn't usually sit thru an entire movie so I was actually quite surprised he did for this one. The bully theme is right on and timely. Just an all-'round great movie for young children with a solid storyline and message.
Adult Written bydavnree April 9, 2008

Teaches a good lesson

We liked this movie and the lesson it taught. I think kids can definatley relate and so can parents.