Kid reviews for The Art of Racing in the Rain

Weepy wisdom dispensed in dog drama about life and loss.

Teen, 17 years old Written byawsumgrl August 11, 2019

One of the best movies I have ever seen!

This is an adorable movie with a beautiful message and shows the strong relationship between a caring dad and a loyal dog. It shows the importance of family and how beneficial it can be to have somebody always at your side. There are some deaths, though, which is why it is not appropriate for very young children. Overall, it is a wonderful movie to watch with your family.

Teen, 17 years old Written bylondonmisssalem April 23, 2021

If you loved the book, you'll love this

I went to watch this movie with my brother Hayden and friend Maddie, and we loved it. Great acting. We all read the book in 2020 and we fell in love with Enzo. I am so relieved the girl who tried to kiss Denny isn't in this movie. It's very triggering when you see Eve faint in the forest, and then Enzo barks. There is some romance in this: Denny and Eve are seen in bed, Eve looks at her breasts [nothing shown]. Enzo just added a light to my day when I saw this. My only thing is that there are some parts that are not ok for younger viewers. My rating: 4/5

Kid, 10 years old November 11, 2020

Awesome

The best movie ever, period.
Teen, 14 years old Written byuser123321user July 12, 2020

I expect more

This movie has a lot of great messages like teamwork and winning. Sometimes in the movie, I forgot what is the plot of the movie. I also like that the point of view is from a dog. There are some sad parts in the movie.

Teen, 13 years old Written byDemogorgonhehe June 24, 2020

SAD (spoilers)

I am 12 and I am a bit of a cryer. There were many moments that made me sob. The mom dies of cancer and then the dog dies. It is a amazing movie and such a beautiful story but if you are a cryer be warned you WILL cry.

Teen, 14 years old Written byBookreader26 June 13, 2020

Both book and movie is good, but a few changes

I watched the movie AND read the book twice. I must say, there are major differences. The book deals with allegations of statutory rape and includes a few sexual innuendos. Foul language is quite apparent in the book as well. The movie, on the other hand, is pretty squeaky clean and is perfect for younger children. The book and the movie do share positive role models and a clever plot, all in the perspective of a dog. In conclusion, read the book if you are a parent and watch the movie with your kids.

Teen, 13 years old Written byDrummer18 April 21, 2020

Great Movie, But...

The Art of Racing in the Rain is a beautiful movie about love and loss. It would be great for anyone who loves animals- especially dogs- but at the same time it would be a terrible movie for an animal lover. The reason I think this movie is for kids 10+ is because there is a sad ending, but the characters in the movie all accept the sadness in a surprising, beautifully creative and artistic ending. However, I do think you have to be 10+ to really appreciate the ending (younger kids might just be sad about some of the things that happen in the movie).

Kid, 9 years old April 20, 2020

Favorite movie ever!!!!!!!!!Too confusing for younger ones.

Kid, 10 years old March 9, 2020

Good movie.

Totally appropriate! Very sweet, no violence. A very straightforward, good guy bad guy movie. I will tell you, though, the book is terribly inappropriate. I read it at 10, and it was really good, but really inappropriate. The movie, though, was great, and easy to understand.

Teen, 15 years old Written bywild_soup97 February 19, 2020

DON’T LISTEN TO PEOPLE SAYING IT IS 16+!

I saw a review from a parent saying that this movie saying that it was 16 plus just because it is sad. Yes, it is definitely a tear jerker at times but many Disney movies are to, and those are perfectly acceptable for kids. The Art of Racing in the Rain book is WAY more 16+ than this, as it contains many adult themes, but even that I would say is only about 14+. If you feel sad movies are to much for your kids, than don’t watch this movie, but in no other way could it possibly be considered “too adult”. There is a bit of language but nothing that is too bad. The movie is actually really good if you think racing is cool, or even just dogs. It is an amazing and inspiring story that I think everyone can enjoy. However, the original book is much better, but it is more adult than the movie.

Teen, 13 years old Written byEmmaC315 December 31, 2019

GREAT! But...

This movie was amazing!!! The only thing I didn’t like about the movie was the person who played Denny. I am a huge fan of Gilmore Girls, and Jess Mariano was NOT my favorite character. Because I hated Jess so much, all I could think about as I watched the movie was the actors role as Jess. This made me feel like Denny was going to do something bad, which of course never happened because the character was totally different. Anyway, I would have liked to see another actor play Denny but overall, this was a sad yet amazing movie. 5 stars!!

Kid, 11 years old December 24, 2019

Ehhh...

It has sum funny parts to it but it a very sad movie with a very good ending. And there’s a lesson, NEVER TRUST ZEBRAS!!!
Kid, 10 years old December 16, 2019

Didn't even finish the movie!

Don't let any young kids watch this! I didn't finish the movie it was tie scary! So, this scene, they left Enzo (the dog) at home with no food, so there was nobody in the house, the dog was getting wonky at the fact he didn't eat so then he hears rock music, the plush zebra like starts moving on it's own as he just saw it in his mind which was a little funny then the zebra comes down rips a plush bear in half and destroys it, then it zooms in on the zebra the zebra has red eyes and rips him-self open and dies. Then the family arrives and the dog really destroyed all the toys because he saw something different. That was very scary! I was even scared! That's when we shut it off. More points, there was a little bit of kissing when the guy and girl met, but after they were married it was too much, my last point the start of the movie may look nice and cute when he adopts the dog, but that's not really the movie. Some people give fake reviews because they hated the movie, but this review is true. And also, the mom likes has a very bad sickness or something and is taking pills and coughing not getting sleep her eyes are like decaying, so this movie should only be for teens, I don't understand how it's rated PG!

Teen, 14 years old Written byDogcat December 3, 2019

Great!

So, I was 13 almost 14 years old when I watched this movie in the theater. I wanted to watch it as soon as I first heard about it. I thank God that my grandma didn’t read the book before watching the movie because the book contained a pretty fair amount of f-words, and if she read it before seeing the movie I would have had to convince her that PG rated movies don’t say that. She did however read it afterward and after she read it I read it. If the book had a common sense media review page the language rating *probably* would have said 5/5 but I’m not sure. Meanwhile watching the movie in the theater I was shocked when Denny said the h-word. Not because I thought it was disturbing but, at that moment I thought about the common sense review which I checked before coming. The common sense media review only states that the only *language* (Which isn’t language at all in my opinion). Is when they call the dog “lazy” and “bad”. Really? Anyway, the movie is OK for kids 11 and amp; up. And the book is OK for kids 12 and amp; up.

Teen, 15 years old Written by22bowyers October 18, 2019

OMG!

This movie was so good. It is super cute and I watched it with my boyfriend and his family at a drive-in and im not gonna lie, I cried just a bit. :)

Teen, 13 years old Written bymarybob1 September 14, 2019

It was powerful and sad

I think that you should be prepared to be sad but also laugh

Teen, 15 years old Written byMungadoodle123 September 8, 2019

Book vs movie

The Art of Racing in the Rain takes several liberties when it comes to the book vs the movie. The book doesn’t hold back on foul language, while the movie feels like a water wing version of the book, which deals with love, loss and family. That being said it’s very sweet and a good movie to bring you’re kids to.

Teen, 13 years old Written byAVkid August 23, 2019

What you should know about: The Art of Racing in the Rain

What you should know is that you are almost guaranteed to cry when you watch this movie, a few of the main characters die and suffer some pretty bad injury’s. There is no cussing and no sex stuff either, but the dad does meet a lady and gets married to her and has kid, but does not show that. When they have kids.There are lots of great messages in the movie including team work and helping.The only scene that is iffy is a scene where the moms parents take the dad to court and take away his daughter from him because he shoved the moms dad. But other wise I thought the movie was definitely 5 stars, not three, thank you for reading!

Kid, 12 years old August 21, 2019

Great but emotional

This movie is very emotional. Although there is a happy ending, this movie has content that not all younger kids will understand.
Teen, 16 years old Written by21EmmS August 20, 2019

Sad but good

The movie was very sad at times, but overall I thought it was a good movie. Death is a part of life and everyone will have to deal with it at some point. I would suggest bringing some tissues and that young kids who love dogs shouldn’t see this movie.