Parent reviews for The Artist

The Artist Poster Image

At times intense ride with ups and downs and adorable dog

A film that surprises. I think the biggest surprise is how much you invest in the charisma of its main stars and are swept up in their lives through no dialogue. A wonderful statement on the power of silent films. Of course it is a contemporization of silent films but it still speaks to the power of the image and a solid score. Fun and chipper and complete with an adorable dog.

Wonderfully entertaining movie!

should've been rated PG

The only reason why it was rated PG-13 that I can think of is the character who tried to commit suicide. Still, kids have heard enough about it that those under 13 can watch if a parent explains this to them. This is a wonderful movie. Not only does the silence provide something different in itself, but it also shows the way Hollywood and the movies used to be. It also deals with sound being introduced, and the fear of change and job loss that came with it. Friendship and the value of working together are shown as well. I would highly recommend this movie to anyone, especially those who want a trip to a different time, or those who just want to see what movies used to be like.

Very Well Done. Deserved the Oscars it got!

The Artist is a Very Well Done Film. While it'll mostly attract people familiar with the silent film era, it might also attract some young film fanatics. While this movie is very good and appropriate for kids 10+, it'll probably only interest adults.

realistic reviewer's review of the artist

dont get me wrong i dont mind when old tactics are used but i grew up with sound and color and you know what i like it! this movie won 5 oscors one for every person who saw it. call it art, call it a master piece i call it boring a snoze fest. if you like it you like it but realistically its a skip.

Pretty tame, quite educational for youngsters.

If you want your children to have a good understanding of "the old (old) days," this is a good way to do it. I was disappointed in the ending, because it was so predictable. I really wanted a twist to the ending, but it wasn't there. Oh well. Best picture Oscar? Only because it was a movie about movies...

Brilliant tribute to the golden age of movies

It's for kids too!

My 10 year old brother saw this film and he absolutely loved it! (As did I.) A perfect tribute to the silent film era, much recommended!

A wonderful moral tale!

The film is an excellent tale about the end of the silent era of Hollywood. The tale is childlike but a strong moral of the story about happiness and finding one's self in this world and how to deal with change. There is no sex in this film, no swearing since it is a silent film. The only violent scene is when the protagonist tries to kill himself (but it is not graphic) all childlike scenes. The characters represent support for the protagonist and give him the bright side of life, and the message is really beautiful in this film. Appropriate for kids!

Wonderful and unique

Just a delight - a love-letter to classic movies, with some of the best performances I've seen in years. There's a scene where a character considers suicide with a gun, which is tense, and might be upsetting for kids under 10 if they're involved in the movie. That said, it has a happy ending, and my ten-year-old just loved it. Also a great introduction to go back and watch Buster Keaton, Charlie Chaplin, and (on the same topic) Singin' in the Rain.