All parent member reviews for The BFG

Adult Written bygracecarol April 9, 2008

Adult Written bylillybaby April 9, 2008

freaky experience in first grade

Well, in first grade we were shown this movie, and I was freaked out within the first 10 minutes. All I remember is that there were giants that ate little kids, and this is a children's movie??? I left the room and told the teacher I didn't like it, so they let me sit outside the room while everyone else watched it. Odd story I wouldn't recommend except to older children that like creepy movies.
Parent of a 1, 4, 8, and 10 year old Written bysweets_JME April 11, 2010

Cute movie for 6+, but may not hold interest for younger ones.

I wasn't crazy about the whole "wizz pop" song, but I generally don't appreciate my kids talking about bodily functions, especially at the table. My 4 yr old was a bit scared at times, but nothing a hug couldn't fix & there weren't any bad dreams or bedtime struggles. I enjoyed having my son read the book first & then watch the movie for comparison. My kids thoroughly enjoyed it, although my 4 yr old lost interest at some points.
Parent of a 2, 3, 4, 11, 11, and 15 year old Written bylover4 June 11, 2009

great for ages 12 & ^
Adult Written bynduns May 23, 2009

Wow, people are shallow

Everyone calls this movie crap just because the visuals aren't like the ones from the book. Come on! You gotta give this one credit for being the only Roald Dahl film adaptation before the 21st century to follow the original book. Roald Dahl himself classified this movie as the ONLY good adaptation of one of his books, even going so far as to give it a standing ovation, no joke! And let me tell you, that man has hated EVERY adaptation made when he was alive. I find it sad, really, that the most accurate movies are the ones that get criticized the most. 2005 version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, for instance, is bashed quite a bit despite being loads more accurate to the book while the original movie is constantly praised for being... I guess the first adaptation. BFG is a fun film. The characters may not have looked their best, but at least it's accurate and entertaining.