All parent member reviews for The Bible

Adult Written bymoviemaker201 March 28, 2013

Wow!

I was amazed. For Christians, this will provide a channel for them to relate with their faith's ancestry and to witness the bible as it is. Regardless, the action sequences are reason enough to enjoy this story of love, hate, greed, sex, and power. We start out at Noah's Ark, witnessing a montage of The Creation Story, Adam and Eve's Temptation, and The Murder of Abel. From that point on, we are sent on a quest comprised of 30 to 60 minute long tales about the Israelites and their rises and falls, all in a two - hour episodes. Violence: 9/10 Remember, this is the Bible as it is. So naturally, there are tons of violent acts. Lots of intense battle sequences and suspenseful scenes throughout. A man is implied to be mauled by lions. A man gets stabbed in the throat. (We see blood gurgling from his lips.) A suicide. Infants and young children are slaughtered. Several beatings. An implied beheading or two. Slaves brawl for the entertainment of their master. Graphic crucifixions that are torturous to watch. (People are nailed by the feet and hands to a wooden cross and are beaten and whipped to death.) Sex: 5/10 Sex is implied. A man watches a woman bathe. Women are implied to be prostitutes. Some kissing. A man has a woman's husband killed in battle in order to cover up adultery. Language: 3/10 Colorfully worded insults.People are made fun of because of ethnicity and religion. Drugs: 3.5/10 Men are implied to be slightly drunk. Overall, this is a great show, but it is not advised for kids 10 and under. See you next time!
Adult Written byamom1st March 13, 2013

Take care, this is not Sunday School.

Okay...this is a very difficult one to review. Having seen several episodes I feel I can attempt it now. We made the mistake of allowing our children to watch the first one with us. And it left them with more questions than answers. I think for children, they may not be able to read between the lines. It almost looked(in this production) liked God was being too harsh to these people, not at all the loving God we have been teaching them about. Of course this opened some good conversations on how our family views the Bible. For us, the violence/sexuality was too much. When it says TV-14, BELIEVE it! We have seen babies being tossed in the water to die, sheep's necks being sliced open, whippings, beatings, holy men's necks being cut open, a woman bathing while a man watched, adultery, the sounds of painful childbirth, a woman being drug off by invaders, a woman referred to as a who*e. And believe me, I realize most of this DID take place in the bible, but the way they chose to portray it in this movie is too intense for children under 14. I would recommend screening it for yourself, before sharing it with your children.
Adult Written byYoMammasLDS March 31, 2013

Not the best adaptation. At. All.

In my opinion, as a student of the KJV of the bible, the depictions of biblical stories are wildly inaccurate, glossing over and rewriting the important events they claim to present. I find ihe inaccuracies a HUGE disappointment; for those who are familiar with the Bible, watching this show is like listening to fingernails scratch across a chalkboard. We stopped watching after arguing with the television through two episodes. If you love the Bible and are familiar with t the stories depicted in this show, you may find it grating on your sensibilities, and, like us, arguing with the television as well as feeling a deep disappointment that the stories you, too, cherish, were poorly translated to a television show. Or, like my devout sister, you may love it. Just be forewarned.
Parent of an infant, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, and 18 year old Written bymykidsarebabies April 14, 2015

1 MAY GIVE IT A CHANCE

GOING TO BUY THIS MOVIE AND GIVE IT A CHANCE. MY 15+ KIDS LOVE GORE BUT THEY ARE CHRISTAIN I TOUCHED THEM TO LOVE JESUS
Parent of an infant year old Written bySunshine75 March 13, 2013

Pretty Good Story

It gives a very basic understanding of the bible which I think is appropriate for a large and diverse viewing audience. If you have had some seminary experience you will notice differences in the text and this tv account. I would not suggest you take it as literal as you would the actual "word". Overall a good depiction I have enjoyed watching so far.