Parent reviews for The Bible

Biblical reenactments are theatrical and very violent.

Wondering if The Bible is OK for your kids?

Written byAnonymous November 22, 2018

The butt review

This show has got action and later in the show there is a lot of blood and cruel deaths. There is men and women undressed but there is no nudity or sex. The first few episodes are 8 and up because all they got is some action with no blood but later on in the show it becomes a show for teenagers. The last couple episodes where Jesus gets crucified, there is a lot of blood and action and shows dead bodies. In the show some people get tortured bad with being stabbed or beat to death or plucking there eyes out. This show is good for people 10-11 and up.
Parent of a 6, 12, and 15-year-old Written byAlexandra B. March 18, 2018

Traumatizing.

As chic, cool, and current mom (#momswag), I was excited to hear about a dramatization of the Bible. Upon its release, I took my three children (aged 6, 12, and 15) a special viewing of this series. I was eagerly anticipating a wholesome family experience. However, my expectations were not met: we were forced to suffer through hours of dirty, immoral, violent men and women behaving in crude, primitive ways. For a so-called Christian series, it was terribly off the mark. My children have picked up some vulgar ideas from this movie, and I cannot emphasize how horrible this movie is enough. It is also offensively inaccurate: it depicts the Bible as some gory, disgusting work by heathens, not God in word form. As a parent who loves my children, I regret traumatizing them in this way and hope to protect your lovely, innocent kids from a truly terrible day. I may actually look into therapy; It was that bad. Have a great day! Happy movie-watching!

Parent of a 6, 12, and 15-year-old Written byAmelia B. March 18, 2018

A huge disappointment

I had never heard of this series before my 15 year old daughter came home from school one afternoon, traumatized. She told me she watched an episode of The Bible in Religion class; apparently there were closeups of people who had been crucified. I love my daughter's high school and I had complete faith that they would never show the kids anything like that. Nonetheless, I knew my daughter wouldn't lie to me, so I decided to watch it for myself. And boy am I glad. The show displays violence and gore. The stories are horrendously inaccurate. The Bible is basically a bloody, violent, soap opera. It is chalk full of adultery and death; I honestly don't know why anyone would make a TV series out of it to begin with. But that's not even what upsets me. What truly enrages me is the fact that school teachers think it is acceptable to show these things to kids without consent from the parents. There are scenes of killing infants, mild nudity, and downright disrespect for the Bible's true meaning. I don't believe any of the nonsense you may hear from other Catholic moms. This show will not enrich your child's perception or understanding of faith at all. If anything, the series distorts and twists the stories, making the Bible seem hideous and gory. Parents, not only would I caution you against wasting your time checking The Bible out on Netflix, but I would advise that you keep your children away from it as well! Do not watch this show! At all! Ever!

Parent of a 7-year-old Written byBobby G. February 6, 2018

The Bible

Great show! But contains bloody imagery.

Parent of a 18+-year-old Written byCheese and Bread May 15, 2016

They left to much out

It's an OK tv show but it left to much out

Parent of a 5 and 7-year-old Written byBrynn317 March 12, 2016

Honestly, My 4 and 6 Year Olds Watched It

Yes, it is violent. Yes, there are infant killings and beatings and, of course, The Passion. But, it is The Bible. It is our faith. Last year when my kids were 4 and 6, we watched only Moses and the New Testament. This year, at 5 and 7, we watched start to finish. We talked openly about the violence and the morality. Especially for my son who will receive First Communion this year, watching The Bible helped him to truly understand who Jesus is and why He is so important. Of course use your own judgment of what your kids can handle, but mine handled it fine.

Adult Written byYoMammasLDS March 31, 2013

Not the best adaptation. At. All.

In my opinion, as a student of the KJV of the bible, the depictions of biblical stories are wildly inaccurate, glossing over and rewriting the important events they claim to present. I find ihe inaccuracies a HUGE disappointment; for those who are familiar with the Bible, watching this show is like listening to fingernails scratch across a chalkboard. We stopped watching after arguing with the television through two episodes. If you love the Bible and are familiar with t the stories depicted in this show, you may find it grating on your sensibilities, and, like us, arguing with the television as well as feeling a deep disappointment that the stories you, too, cherish, were poorly translated to a television show. Or, like my devout sister, you may love it. Just be forewarned.

Adult Written bymoviemaker201 March 28, 2013

Wow!

I was amazed. For Christians, this will provide a channel for them to relate with their faith's ancestry and to witness the bible as it is. Regardless, the action sequences are reason enough to enjoy this story of love, hate, greed, sex, and power. We start out at Noah's Ark, witnessing a montage of The Creation Story, Adam and Eve's Temptation, and The Murder of Abel. From that point on, we are sent on a quest comprised of 30 to 60 minute long tales about the Israelites and their rises and falls, all in a two - hour episodes. Violence: 9/10 Remember, this is the Bible as it is. So naturally, there are tons of violent acts. Lots of intense battle sequences and suspenseful scenes throughout. A man is implied to be mauled by lions. A man gets stabbed in the throat. (We see blood gurgling from his lips.) A suicide. Infants and young children are slaughtered. Several beatings. An implied beheading or two. Slaves brawl for the entertainment of their master. Graphic crucifixions that are torturous to watch. (People are nailed by the feet and hands to a wooden cross and are beaten and whipped to death.) Sex: 5/10 Sex is implied. A man watches a woman bathe. Women are implied to be prostitutes. Some kissing. A man has a woman's husband killed in battle in order to cover up adultery. Language: 3/10 Colorfully worded insults.People are made fun of because of ethnicity and religion. Drugs: 3.5/10 Men are implied to be slightly drunk. Overall, this is a great show, but it is not advised for kids 10 and under. See you next time!

Parent of an infant-year-old Written bySunshine75 March 13, 2013

Pretty Good Story

It gives a very basic understanding of the bible which I think is appropriate for a large and diverse viewing audience. If you have had some seminary experience you will notice differences in the text and this tv account. I would not suggest you take it as literal as you would the actual "word". Overall a good depiction I have enjoyed watching so far.

Adult Written byamom1st March 13, 2013

Take care, this is not Sunday School.

Okay...this is a very difficult one to review. Having seen several episodes I feel I can attempt it now. We made the mistake of allowing our children to watch the first one with us. And it left them with more questions than answers. I think for children, they may not be able to read between the lines. It almost looked(in this production) liked God was being too harsh to these people, not at all the loving God we have been teaching them about. Of course this opened some good conversations on how our family views the Bible. For us, the violence/sexuality was too much. When it says TV-14, BELIEVE it! We have seen babies being tossed in the water to die, sheep's necks being sliced open, whippings, beatings, holy men's necks being cut open, a woman bathing while a man watched, adultery, the sounds of painful childbirth, a woman being drug off by invaders, a woman referred to as a who*e. And believe me, I realize most of this DID take place in the bible, but the way they chose to portray it in this movie is too intense for children under 14. I would recommend screening it for yourself, before sharing it with your children.