Parent reviews for The Black Hole

The Black Hole Poster Image

Waste of time

Disney’s attempt to cash in on Star Wars’s 1977 success. They did a poor job, and it’s not worth a watch.

Robots! And Science!

This movie left quite an impression on me, and I recall being terrified of Maximilian. Also creeped out by the "goons" with the mirror masks. It's a science-fiction horror/thriller. It would depend on the child whether they enjoy this. I loved robots, and thus really enjoyed this. The black hole science is terrible at best, but then again this movie was from an era where this was still novel and there was not yet a great deal of understanding. If your child "liked" Darth Vader in Star Wars, then this one might be for you.

Gothic sci-fi not afraid to take the time to set a mood

The Black Hole was one of my favorite films from childhood. While everyone else thought Star Wars was the pinnacle of science-fiction films at the time, I always went back to The Black Hole for its mysterious and chilling setting and its deliberate pacing not filled with wall-to-wall laser fights. In my opinion, this is what makes The Black Hole an enjoyable watch but may take some patience from modern children. I showed The Black Hole very recently to my two kids (7 and 9) and they both seemed to really enjoy it in the same manner I did when I was young. They were able to process the story, characters and plot easily and the violence was not beyond what they could handle. Disney wisely used no blood during the most grisly of the on-screen deaths and the reveal of the humaniod's zombie-like face did not upset either child. If there is any element of The Black Hole that should give parents any pause, it is the ending that sees the characters literally travel through Hell and Heaven as they are drawn into the black hole. My kids had many questions after seeing this and were a little bothered about the implications the ending alluded to. It would be up to the parents to decide if this is a line of discussion they wish to have with their children and when. All that said, I think The Black Hole is a good introduction to young children of science-fiction storytelling that doesn't have an action scene every ten minutes and relatively mild horror trappings and mood that more grown-up films (such as Alien) will contain.

Psychologically disturbing for sensitive kids

Unlike Star Wars, this movie is equal parts Horror and Sci-Fi. Maximillian, the blood red murderous robot, is both violent and extremely creepy. I recommend reading reviews on a few other sites- the official Common Sense Media review underplays the violence and creepiness in my opinion. Here is a quote from another review: "... Max [the robot] has the special distinction of being the first character in a Disney movie ever to eviscerate another character on-screen when he killed Anthony Perkins's Dr. Alex Durant with those spinning food-processor blades he had instead of hands. "

Way creepier than I remember

Teamwork is the positive message, but creepy robots for sure, zombie-like crew and implied goring (no blood) by Maximillian the robot make for a dark ride into the black hole.