All parent member reviews for The Blair Witch Project

Adult Written bytommysportsgirl April 9, 2008

Is this supposed to be scary??

I get scared at horror movies. The Ring scared me. Halloween scared me. This movie did NOT scare me. It was hard to even see what was going on. It was like a bad home movie without even a plot. The camera jerked so much I almost got motion sickness. I yawned most of my way through it. Blah!
Adult Written byMovieMan26 October 10, 2010

Vulgar, scary, and mostly dull

Despite the creepy, intense ending, this was a pretty unimpressive horror movie. If you want a good scare on hand-held camera, go with Quarantine. Parents: If you have a sensitive teen, they may be scared by this creepy but (in my ponion) dull horror movie. There's also nonstop strong, vulgar language. Bottom Line: No need to rush out and see this horror film. Thanks for reading! - Movie Man
Parent of a 11 year old Written byThe Big E October 20, 2011

The Most Overhyped Movie of All Time

The only way ANYONE - and I mean ANYONE - would ever consider this movie scary is if they have spent their entire life in a concrete jungle and simply do not understand that in the woods, things go bump in the night. If you have ever been in the woods at night (I grew up there), and have heard a twig break, or an animal make some indecipherable noise (and if you have ever BEEN in the woods at night you WILL have heard these things), then you have already experienced first hand everything this film as to offer. That's all it is. A bunch of city kids who get scared in the woods at night by twigs breaking and owls hooting. I've seen episodes of Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom that were scarier than this. That said, if your kid just HAS to see it, bear in mind there is a lot of cursing, which is why I listed it as only for kids 12 and under. If they're in public school, there's nothing here they haven't heard before.
Adult Written bycritic sense November 5, 2012

Recommended Rating: 14+ for frightening scenes and thematic elements

This horror film is filmed like a documentary, so the enhanced realism makes it even scarier. There are some jump scares and scenes that may be too frightening for younger viewers. There is almost no violence, but some scenes may be disturbing and the film maintains an intense atmosphere throughout. There is a lot of aggression and emotional tension.
Adult Written byAshnak April 9, 2008

How to get lost in the woods 101

If they had half a brain there would be no problems. They even crossed a fire road. A LOT of bad language
Adult Written bya_rayment April 9, 2008

A great horror movie for anyone 14 and up!

Okay. To start, I do NOT think that this movie should have been rated R. A definate PG-13 movie. I know that there is 152 F-Words, 52 S-Words, and about 300 other profanity words, but think about it. You get lost in the woods and crazy things happen to you, I dont think that you would be saying apporopriate words. Sure, they could have toned it down a few notches, but hey! Anyone ages 10 and up would use that language in that kind of situation. The violence is nothing and the drugs issue is quite heavy. Everyone is going crazy because they don't have cigarettes, one person is pressured into taking shots of Scotch, and someone asks for some marijuana. This movie will frighten people 13 and under so no need to worry, and the rest of the movie is PG material!
Adult Written byPCDberry May 23, 2015

Blair witch project scary violent and intense

This movie is ver violent with bloody and gore teens are stabbed or tortured throughout the movie by being beaten stabbed cooked or whipped and dead mouse is seen with bloody results language is over the top 200 F words 75 sh** and other sexual references throughout very intense and scary many jump scenes including some bloody jump scenes 17 and up ONLY rated R for strong bloody violence and torture throughout pervasive language and intense scary images
Adult Written byZoeB April 26, 2014

A must for any horror fans, but otherwise kids tread carefully

I will start off by saying that the film is NOT true, but the filmmakers did an extremely great job of making it believable that it was (if you don't believe me, look at the end credits, it will say the 'this film is fictional' jargon). I'm quite insensitive to horror films; I love Saw, A Nightmare On Elm Street and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre mostly for the depth of characterisation. I didn't think that this film would scare me as much as it did and the reason for that is purely because it is a very psychological film. The legend and backstory behind the Blair Witch is conveyed extremely well and since you are seeing the situations through the eyes of a video camera and three terrified teenagers, it just really gives it that edge. I don't think that there is too much swearing, because in all honesty, it accurately portrays three extremely frightened teenagers which would be doing that in that situation. As the events which happen to them get worse, it shows progressive worsening states of mind, with the female of the group, Heather Donahue, doing the famous confession scene on camera. I first watched this when I was around 14 years old; I'm now 18 and it is still a film I cannot watch at night. If you have had children that were not particularly bothered by watch Paranormal Activity, The Exorcism of Emily Rose and The Number 23, then they will probably not be frightened by this. It really does depend on the person; many people I know were not one bit terrified by this. As further warnings (WITH SPOILERS), there are some quite disturbing scenes, for example, hearing children laughter at night, the disappearance of one of the teenagers, a package arriving outside the tent and a freaky finale.
Adult Written bythebeatlesrule July 16, 2012

Parents should know that...

The movie is violent in a different way than Friday the 13th and Hellraiser, but it's still violent and has some hard language.
Educator Written bybugmenot September 11, 2011

Really Good Movie!

I really liked this film! It was scary and thrilling without being over-the-top bloody and gory. Yeah, the language is bad, but who cares? Newsflash: TEENAGERS CURSE. The actors did a fantastic job; they were really convincing. I highly recommend this movie!
Adult Written byEvanReviews August 14, 2009

Perfect Horror Movie for Mature Teens and Adults

Very Suspenseful horror movie that shows almost no violence at all. I love it so much I bought it on my iPod. Only thing parents should really watch out for is its language. Over 150 F words. 5/5 :)
Adult Written byliefde1 April 9, 2008

confusing...

I think the reason a lot of people went to see this movie is because they thought it was based on a real story; I thought it was. When it was being advertised, it was never really made clear (I think a tape and book was even put out later that told more about the 'true story'.) Since it is made up, it's not that wow of a movie; there's a lot of jumpy camera movement, which some people may find annoying. The ending is confusing; you are sitting there saying (maybe shouting) "What's going on?" and then it's just over. That said, there are some scary parts if you use your imagination, such as when they are in the tent and *something* is outside, crawling around. I put age 13-16 but I would say 15 years and older for this movie.
Adult Written byslbush April 9, 2008

Waist of time

The Blair Witch film leaves you with fear. Last time I checked, fear is not something we should be feeding. This movie may help the imagination but in a very unhealthy way.
Parent of a 6 and 11 year old Written byunicornb August 7, 2016

One Of The Scariest Movies I've Seen!

The Blair Witch Project is an absolute classic in the genre of horror, its also absolutely terrifying. Though its mostly dull and there is a lot of talking, it definitely provides the scares in several scenes. The only complaint I would have is the level of language. Now they are young and dumb teens that definitely do their share of cursing, but the film doesn't need as much as it had to get the point across. There was no sexually explicit profanity, but there was a bit of violence-some terrifying violence. Nothing gruesome. In my opinion this is a must see for all horror fans and is an absolutely scary film that hold nothing back in the chilling conclusion.
Parent Written byGaelle Tricot July 22, 2015

MOST BORING, DISAPPOINTING AND UNINTERESTING MOVIES OF ALL TIME! YUCK!

I have never seen a worse movie than this one! The only things that I will remember about this movie are the constant swearing, the bad actors and filming, and the lack of budget. I almost could not watch it all as it was so so boring. I do not recommend this to anyone, not even older teens because it is not even scary.
Parent Written byharris231 September 10, 2012

Potty mouthed teens along with a scary theme

Adult Written bymoviesrule1424 July 15, 2012

This is not a joke-around movie in any way.

Constant uses of the F-word.
Adult Written bymapel December 28, 2010

ok for 10 or 11 and up any younger not ok

its a good movie but some bad language and some terror violence and scary music and an intense scene at the end
Parent of a 15 year old Written bySgtPrinny January 3, 2010

The blair witch

This was a pretty good movie. But there is a ton of language and some drinking scenes. It will scare you. Which isn't a bad thing.
Parent Written byPlague December 17, 2009

The Blair Witch Project

I can never really explain why the low-budget horror films always deliver the most scares. But hey, whatever works, works.