Parent reviews for The Blair Witch Project

The Blair Witch Project Poster Image

Awesome Movie!

I have always been a fan of horror movies. Conjuring, Scream, Sinister, you name it I have seen it. I recently watched this movie, and it gave me the chills. Blair Witch is one of my new favorites and in my opinion, scared me more than the Conjuring movies. The movie is rated R because of all the swearing. The F word is said probably over 25 times, but I feel like that added to the anger the trio felt in the movie. If you are looking for a horror movie that isn't gory but will still give you a scare, then I would recomend this 100%

Psychologically terrifying

Now, it's not a typical ghost movie with gore, but every now and again you'd get a very disturbing scene and the whole thing contains a crazy amount of swearing.

Interesting and different eerie flick has pervasive language

The Blair Witch Project is a found footage horror film about 3 college kids who went missing in the woods, and every scene from the movie is the footage recovered from there camera’s. The film is almost completely empty of violence and gore, but contains other adult content I’ll be going over: VIOLENCE: Lots of scenes of yelling, pushing and violent swearing. Characters constantly argue towards the latter half of the film. The murder of children and several others are mentioned in graphic detail. A person says that a murderer would have one child face the wall in a basement while the other was murdered, then the one facing the wall would be killed. The second description of murders is where a woman says several men where tied up to each other in a line. Then she says they all had blood running down their heads before she also mentions their intestines where viscous used ripped out as well. No violence is shown on screen at all, however the descriptions can be disturbing. We hear a man screaming in the woods followed by the camera woman finding his torn clothes wrapped around a wooden totem. When she opens it, we see blood all over the clothes and several bloody teeth (implied it is the mans). The only instance blood is shown on-screen. A man faces the wall (a throwback to the reference of child murder) before a woman drops her camera implying they where both killed just like the children were. LANGUAGE: Strong, pervasive language throughout. Constant use of “f*ck” and “sh*t” along with “godd*mn”. 154 uses of “f*ck” SEXUAL CONTENT: A brief, light reference to an orgy. OVERALL: 13+ for pervasive language

So Scary

Ya so it is really scary.

Hard to watch

I recently watched this film and remembered going to the cinema to see it. The camera motion gave me a headache, it’s difficult to follow. wasn’t great then and even worse now! The F word is overused, even for today it’s bad and didn’t need to be. It’s a shame as the film would be a good introduction to tweens wanting to get into horror as it’s not really that scary but the language is uncalled for which is why I’ve said 14+ Spoilt the film for me and cringed watching it with my 13 year old

Terrifying if you use your brain

The start is kinda boring but vital to you understanding the movie and the camera is shaky throughout (its on purpose folks) but if you think about it logically and/or have your head screwed on right then The Blair Witch Project is utterly terrifying witha fantastic ending.

Overrated

It’s a horror classic but its only true merit is being the first of its genre (found footage). The concept of a documentary about a folk tale was interesting but the execution failed mainly because the actors are terrible and overact everything. There is too much yelling, the characters are dislikable (so why should the audience root for them?) and unnecessary strong language in every scene. There is no sexual content, but the characters smoke and drink and also mention drugs once. It’s not scary. Earring noises in the woods at night? Seriously? It’s what happens in the woods because of wildlife. The only part of me that got scared was my hearing because there is so much screaming.

Creepy but not Scary

My mom this is the scariest movie she's ever seen. I think it's super creepy but not scary. The characters are really unlikable, but the movie is written so well. Almost the whole movie the are arguing. There is some substance abuse, tons of swearing and arguing. There is also murder.

Superb, found-footage horror movie still brings chills

The Blair Witch Project revolutionized horror in 1999, setting a new standard for horror movies, and notably doing while spilling very little blood. However, don't be fooled. This wonderfully-acted film is not for the faint of heart. The frequent night-marish, eerie, forboding dark sequences throughout the movie slowly unveil that there is something follow three college students in the forest. They set out to make a documentary about the local legend of the blair witch, and they gradually become aware of the prescence of some force following them closely. Towards the beggining of the film, before the students set of for the woods, they ask residents of the town what they know about the blair witch, and we hear some pretty harrowing things. Another story told later is quite gory, involving men's intestines and organs being ripped out, however this is not seen. Once they reach the forest, paranormal happenings ensue, and several scenes at night involve hearing distant footsteps from all directions, twigs breaking, a child heard crying, a cat meowing. When the students wake up, they find neat piles of rocks arranged outside of their tent. They also find earlier arrays of sticks hanging from trees. One of the three goes missing, and much is the rest of the film is spent searching for him. His screams are heard at a distance. One morning, a pile of sticks tied together with strips of his shirt show up in front of their tent. When they unbundle the sticks, the contents is revealed: what looks like one of his internal organs and what may be one of his teeth. This is the only scene in the film with blood or gore, and it is very brief. The ending is incredibly intense, as the two remaining friends enter an old, rundown, boarded-up house in search of their missing peer. The final sequences as they search through the house are very intense, and though the witch is never seen, her prescence is strongly implied. Not only does the Blair Witch Project have lots of suspenseful intense scenes, there is also very frequent, very strong language that contributes to its R rating. "f--k," and "s--t," are both used countless times, and as the reality sets in that they are being hunted by a force, they begin turning against eachother. Words such as "d--k," "a--hole," and countless others are frequent. The Blair Witch Project is an, eerie, macabre horror masterpiece that set a new standard to which many movies afterward have been crafted. It is a gem of a movie that, if your teens aren't afraid to be scared silly, is worth watching and rewatching.