Kid reviews for The Boxtrolls

Imaginative adventure has lots of peril, nasty villain.

Kid, 12 years old October 12, 2014

I can't say why I saw it.

Seems basic, and very dull. It was basically just some green hybrids running around in boxes and a child Fry from Futurama.
Teen, 13 years old Written bygilgamesh May 30, 2015
Teen, 13 years old Written byThe Marvel Maniac February 22, 2015

Terrible movie

We rented it because we thought it would be a cute fun, family movie, but it was not at all what we expected. Although the claymation was amazing, the storyline and humor were poorly designed and just plain gross. There were leeches completely covering a mans face, it made food allergies a joke, one of the characters said oh my god, which could easily been changed to oh my gosh, and one character slapped a man who was dressed as a woman on the butt. It had a few parts were we were all laughing, but besides that the humor was poor. It was disappointing that after so much work had gone into it that it was so poorly written. I am 13 and my sister is 10 and we don't suggest this movie at all.

Teen, 16 years old Written byPinkarray December 9, 2014

Laika taking themselves seriously

This movie is too complex and violent for anyone. I can not believe that Laika would use such themes on a preteen's movie. The highest it can go was creepy buttons in peoples' eyes and that's it. But here, they hang a child above fire which was highly unacceptable. No good adult film would show such subjects.

Other problems with Laika is that they seem like they're trying to prove how great they are releasing the most darkest film out of their movies while taking the direction most films make, the plucky sidekick, the feral child, Hitler etc.. I have never been this mad at a movie for years. Winnie is a girl that I want to beat up, Eggs was a gross character that mopes around, and the boxtrolls are minion rip-offs that should've just stayed dead, the white hats are ignorant, and the red hats have mental issues. Their last two movies had quirks and unique characters that were not stock and the movies themselves were not unoriginal.

We know that eggs is 11 or 12 but he is still young and he should still have fights with people sometimes. But in this one, he's fighting for security reasons. And he doesn't mind making friends with the punchingbag, Winnie. I would love to see him conflict Winnie to shut her up.

It's not a waste of time, but if you're sensitive to violence, then skip this one. You can rent it since it's heart-warming, sweet and cute. It was fun watching Eggs and his problems. But don't take kids until they are about 11 or 12.

I think that the film should've just kind of shied away from its comedic elements, the film just seemed like that it was trying to have more of a dramatic approach, and takes its comedy seriously, making most of the parts unfunny.

Kid, 11 years old October 10, 2014

Review on " The Boxtrolls"

ATTENTION PARENTS!!!!!!: If your child is 11 or under, they should not see this movie. There is no moral until a huge, stressful, catastrophe happens. There are a lot of disturbing images also. There is a depiction of the upper bodies of animated trolls but don't worry about that, because it is not inappropiate at all.

I hated this movie. It was disgusting and creepy. The movie was disgusting, grotesque, and pointless. A character undergoes a disgusting transformation when he tastes cheese. At the end, there is a very odd death scene and is uncomfortable to watch. The trolls are not cute at all, and there was no comic relief, except if you find dark humor funny.
I would not recommend this movie for young children, even though it is PG. I hope this review helped, and you will rethink going to the Boxtrolls. Then again it's your choice, but you have my opinion.- The Singing Reviewer

Kid, 10 years old October 5, 2014

Too creepy for comfort

In my opinion, "The Boxtrolls" is a REALLY odd and creepy movie, and is probably too scary for 9 and under. There are many weird and freaky scenes in this movie that I found very nightmare-worthy. I highly suggest that if you are a kid, and don't like that sort of thing, then you should NOT watch this move. Or, if you are a parent, and you know your kid doesn't really like anything that gory, you and your kid should not watch this movie either.

Teen, 16 years old Written byHorseLoverSpirit August 10, 2018
Meh... I was confused throughout the movie. I did not understand the story line but it had decent animation. Scary at parts.
Teen, 14 years old Written byStar kid June 9, 2018

It was okay...

This movie is a bit on the creepy side... That’s why I won’t recommend it for anyone under 9. It is okay for some Friday night entertainment.
Teen, 13 years old Written bygarnol April 11, 2018

Pretty violent for a kids movie.

The Boxtrolls is an odd movie, it really depends on the person if you will like it or not. Personally I thought it was really weird and violent for a movie targeted towards kids in the beginning of elementary school. None of the characters are memorable and it jus feels very flat. But with the uninteresting script they had I'm not sure what they really could have done with this movie.

Kid, 9 years old March 19, 2017
This is a great movie . with great music but the villain is very scary .

Teen, 13 years old Written byilovechocolate911 June 4, 2015

Terrible and Boring as Heck

I only say it's inappropriate for any kids under 17, because I don't see how any kid can follow this BORING movie. We actually left the theater after 45 minutes it was so bad.
Sure, it had some exciting parts but most of it is just no-dialog boringness. When characters DO talk, they talk almost in a Shakespeare style and I'm 13 and found it hard to understand. I don't see how any children younger than me could understand what's going on in this movie.

The overall movie lasts interest and falls flat. It would be soooo much better if the boxtrolls would come out to attack people to add some action. The animation is awesome, I can give you that, but overall, The Boxtrolls moves to the speed of molasses, has hard to understand dialog, and was an extreme BORE. Don't waste your money, people!

Kid, 8 years old May 14, 2015

Good, but kinda lame dark family movie.

My rating PG for: violence, and rude humor.
Teen, 14 years old Written byEllaSmokovitch February 19, 2015

THE WORST

THIS IS THE WORST MOVIE IVE EVER SEEN I HAVE A 13 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER AND SHE GOT SCARED, NEVER SEE THIS MOVIE I GIVE IT 0 STARS IF I COULD

Teen, 13 years old Written bycastroteen1688 February 1, 2015

The Box Trolls

I think it is ok for kids the only think I would consider bad Is when the box trolls take off their boxes.

Kid, 11 years old January 24, 2015

The Boxtrolls

It wad a good movie for kids. It did have peril and a nasty villain but it is enough for anyone above the age of 6 or 7.

Kid, 11 years old December 7, 2014

Irresistible, violent fun

The Boxtrolls is a fun movie about, well, trolls in a box. But one boxtroll baby happened to be in a box, so he was token and raised by Fish. However, the boxtroll baby, named Eggs, witnesses lots of peril, and must embark on an amazing adventure to save his kind!

Teen, 13 years old Written byDeeBear31 November 29, 2014

Better then past movies by this film maker

This movie is a lot less creepy then paranorman or Caroline, but SPOILERS the villain is allergic to cheese and dies a very awful death I think it would be ok for 7 and older over all I think it has a good message but it tells the story in some crude ways

Teen, 15 years old Written byRadelite October 25, 2014

Don't waste your time watching this movie

The first like 10 mins of the movie are pretty good but after that I believe you might as well walk out of the movie theater.

yeah good stop motion but seriously don't bother.
Kid, 10 years old October 19, 2014

A Really Good Movie!

I liked The Boxtrolls because the graphics were great, there were a bit of scary parts, and most of the movie was funny. I liked The Boxtrolls' characters because they get their names from what shows on their boxes. The people are mean to the boxtrolls because they think that the boxtrolls kidnap and eat the people they steal. I think most people might like The Boxtrolls.

Kid, 12 years old October 18, 2014
This is 4 and a half stars.

Another great film from LAIKA. It is really funny and exciting. Although there might be some scenes that might make kids freak out, it's still a brilliant film. The 3-D was pretty good (I returned watching another 3-D film, the last one was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles).