Kid reviews for The Boxtrolls

Imaginative adventure has lots of peril, nasty villain.

Kid, 12 years old October 12, 2014

I can't say why I saw it.

Seems basic, and very dull. It was basically just some green hybrids running around in boxes and a child Fry from Futurama.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMatan O. May 30, 2015
Teen, 13 years old Written byThe Marvel Maniac February 22, 2015

Terrible movie

We rented it because we thought it would be a cute fun, family movie, but it was not at all what we expected. Although the claymation was amazing, the storyline and humor were poorly designed and just plain gross. There were leeches completely covering a mans face, it made food allergies a joke, one of the characters said oh my god, which could easily been changed to oh my gosh, and one character slapped a man who was dressed as a woman on the butt. It had a few parts were we were all laughing, but besides that the humor was poor. It was disappointing that after so much work had gone into it that it was so poorly written. I am 13 and my sister is 10 and we don't suggest this movie at all.

Teen, 16 years old Written byPinkarray December 9, 2014

Laika taking themselves seriously

This movie is too complex and violent for anyone. I can not believe that Laika would use such themes on a preteen's movie. The highest it can go was creepy buttons in peoples' eyes and that's it. But here, they hang a child above fire which was highly unacceptable. No good adult film would show such subjects.

Other problems with Laika is that they seem like they're trying to prove how great they are releasing the most darkest film out of their movies while taking the direction most films make, the plucky sidekick, the feral child, Hitler etc.. I have never been this mad at a movie for years. Winnie is a girl that I want to beat up, Eggs was a gross character that mopes around, and the boxtrolls are minion rip-offs that should've just stayed dead, the white hats are ignorant, and the red hats have mental issues. Their last two movies had quirks and unique characters that were not stock and the movies themselves were not unoriginal.

We know that eggs is 11 or 12 but he is still young and he should still have fights with people sometimes. But in this one, he's fighting for security reasons. And he doesn't mind making friends with the punchingbag, Winnie. I would love to see him conflict Winnie to shut her up.

It's not a waste of time, but if you're sensitive to violence, then skip this one. You can rent it since it's heart-warming, sweet and cute. It was fun watching Eggs and his problems. But don't take kids until they are about 11 or 12.

I think that the film should've just kind of shied away from its comedic elements, the film just seemed like that it was trying to have more of a dramatic approach, and takes its comedy seriously, making most of the parts unfunny.

Kid, 11 years old October 10, 2014

Review on " The Boxtrolls"

ATTENTION PARENTS!!!!!!: If your child is 11 or under, they should not see this movie. There is no moral until a huge, stressful, catastrophe happens. There are a lot of disturbing images also. There is a depiction of the upper bodies of animated trolls but don't worry about that, because it is not inappropiate at all.

I hated this movie. It was disgusting and creepy. The movie was disgusting, grotesque, and pointless. A character undergoes a disgusting transformation when he tastes cheese. At the end, there is a very odd death scene and is uncomfortable to watch. The trolls are not cute at all, and there was no comic relief, except if you find dark humor funny.
I would not recommend this movie for young children, even though it is PG. I hope this review helped, and you will rethink going to the Boxtrolls. Then again it's your choice, but you have my opinion.- The Singing Reviewer

Kid, 10 years old October 5, 2014

Too creepy for comfort

In my opinion, "The Boxtrolls" is a REALLY odd and creepy movie, and is probably too scary for 9 and under. There are many weird and freaky scenes in this movie that I found very nightmare-worthy. I highly suggest that if you are a kid, and don't like that sort of thing, then you should NOT watch this move. Or, if you are a parent, and you know your kid doesn't really like anything that gory, you and your kid should not watch this movie either.

Teen, 15 years old Written byForever a Reader234 January 29, 2021

I Don't Understand Why People Think This Movie is Dark and Creepy but Love Coraline?

This movie is one of Laika's best, the characters are awesome and my friends and I were laughing almost throughout the entire movie. The story is great and the acting (especially from Elle Fanning) was spot on! However, this movie IS NOT for little kids (especially for ones allergic to dairy or cheese) the villain is a great bad guy, but he can be EXTREMELY creepy. And the backstory of Eggs might scare little kids, because it appears that Snatcher (the villain)kills his dad. Also, the villain has a SEVERE dairy allergy and every time he eats cheese he bloats, (but it's kind of funny). But this movie IS AWESOME!!! I will watch it a million times more.

Teen, 13 years old Written byAniline December 24, 2020

One of my favourites

So I have seen a lot of bad reviews for this movie and I will try to address the issues that people have with it. Firstly, if you think the characters are ugly, then you are too used to polished cg animation like disney. They're not perfect, and that is part of the point. The same goes for their personalities; they are flawed and that makes them more real, they are not the perfect hero who can do no wrong, and villains are meant to be horrible. Personally, I think the boxtrolls are a nice change from the unicorns and fairies the good side always have by their side. In regard to the villains, they are believeable, you think they actually could do damage, and if that's too scary then is there a poiny of a villain at all? Many people have a problem with Snatcher's allergy depiction and crossdressing: I think when it came to his allergy, it showed how people hurt themselves to fit in, and I didn't really see much ridicule towards it; with the crossdressing it was just a villain trying to spread their opinion without being themself.
Now for the positive stuff. I find Eggs a good protagonist; he is someone who is driven to do something in a world that's foreign to. He cares about his 'family' and shows true development through the film. I understand why some people find Winnie annoying, as she does start off as a bit of a brat, but that is her only way of getting attention, and she does start to be nicer as the film goes on. The boxtrolls are cute in their own way, but it is believeable that people see them as monsters in the film. The movie shows how where you come from or what you are, or anything that you have, doesn't make you. It is your own merits and personality- you should embrace your uniqueness. Also don't believe all you are told, the people you are told to hate may not be so bad, they may just be against the people who have a louder voice. You see people questioning their actions rather than just being 'evil' for the sake of it, and that family can be anyone.
If you got this far sorry for going on a rant, I just don't like seeing hate for Laika, as I love their movies and find stop motion fascinating.

Teen, 15 years old Written byLoranikas303 August 14, 2020

Kid, 9 years old June 13, 2020

I LOVE THIS MOVIE!

This movie is great for your kid to watch! They will love the animations, the storyline, and most of all the funny trolls! I liked the part where the troll catcher ate cheese and his whole body swelled up and he talked like a blob. I reccomend this movie!

Kid, 12 years old May 30, 2020

Great Stop-Motion Film, has some scary parts

Parents need to know that this amazing Stop-Motion film is great, but can scare younger kids. The main villain, lot's of action, and the flashback sequence are definetly going to scare younger viewers. In one scene you think that the Boxtrolls die, but they don't. Great movie, but not for little kids.

Teen, 13 years old Written byLaikastudioslover May 26, 2020

Sadly, the worst Laika film :(

This movie is sadly the worst Laika Studios film. And that is saying a lot because my top 3 fav movies are made by 1: Coraline (made by Laika) 2: Kubo and the Two Strings (made by Laika) 3: a tie between: Corpse Bride, ParaNorman, and Coco (ParaNorman made by Laika Corpse Bride made by Tim Burton but Laika worked on it partly and Coco made by Disney and Pixar.) As you can see Almost all og]f my top 3 fav films are made entirerly by Laika. But Boxtrolls isn't at that level. Its at sadly the Disney level. I dont like Disney that much. But Disney makes ok movies. Boxtrolls is the most kid friendly Laika flim but since it is Laika their is some form of scariness. In this case this movie is gross. The boxtrolls eat bugs which I personally do not lkie because i have Entomophobia (Yes, you guessed it, I have a really bad fear of bugs.) That is one reason why Boxtrolls doesn't have a higher rating for me. The second is the character Archibald Snatcher. He is the antagonist and he wants to kill all the Boxtrolls because he wants to be with some dumb group who gets to eat cheese all day. He is very aware of his alergie to cheeese but he eats it anyway. Then on screen he SPOILIER ALERT!!........ I know your still here and you didn't watch The Boxtrolls but thats fine :) Ok spoiler he blows up on screen and he dies..... yeah thats the happy ending!! That is probably the only reason that the Boxtrolls isn't higher on the list. The other Laika films are more scary and this one isn't scary its just DISCUSTING. But I really love the stopmotion and the story is pretty good and this movie is better than many Disney flims. Nut as I always say... Coraline is better.
Kid, 8 years old May 5, 2020

uggghh......

this movie gave me big time nightmares and was awful

Teen, 16 years old Written byHorseLoverSpirit August 10, 2018
Meh... I was confused throughout the movie. I did not understand the story line but it had decent animation. Scary at parts.
Teen, 14 years old Written byStar kid June 9, 2018

It was okay...

This movie is a bit on the creepy side... That’s why I won’t recommend it for anyone under 9. It is okay for some Friday night entertainment.
Teen, 13 years old Written bygarnol April 11, 2018

Pretty violent for a kids movie.

The Boxtrolls is an odd movie, it really depends on the person if you will like it or not. Personally I thought it was really weird and violent for a movie targeted towards kids in the beginning of elementary school. None of the characters are memorable and it jus feels very flat. But with the uninteresting script they had I'm not sure what they really could have done with this movie.

Kid, 9 years old March 19, 2017
This is a great movie . with great music but the villain is very scary .

Teen, 13 years old Written byilovechocolate911 June 4, 2015

Terrible and Boring as Heck

I only say it's inappropriate for any kids under 17, because I don't see how any kid can follow this BORING movie. We actually left the theater after 45 minutes it was so bad.
Sure, it had some exciting parts but most of it is just no-dialog boringness. When characters DO talk, they talk almost in a Shakespeare style and I'm 13 and found it hard to understand. I don't see how any children younger than me could understand what's going on in this movie.

The overall movie lasts interest and falls flat. It would be soooo much better if the boxtrolls would come out to attack people to add some action. The animation is awesome, I can give you that, but overall, The Boxtrolls moves to the speed of molasses, has hard to understand dialog, and was an extreme BORE. Don't waste your money, people!

Kid, 8 years old May 14, 2015

Good, but kinda lame dark family movie.

My rating PG for: violence, and rude humor.
Teen, 14 years old Written byEllaSmokovitch February 19, 2015

THE WORST

THIS IS THE WORST MOVIE IVE EVER SEEN I HAVE A 13 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER AND SHE GOT SCARED, NEVER SEE THIS MOVIE I GIVE IT 0 STARS IF I COULD