All parent member reviews for The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

Adult Written bywonder dove March 29, 2009

Powerful film, a must see!!

This film is powerful! I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was. The story is heart breaking and the ending is quite shocking. It will stick with you for many days after watching! The acting is amazing especially coming from the child actors. Definitely a must watch for 17's and up, but appropriate for mature minded tweens. I will watch this one again!!
Parent of a 7 year old Written bykatilady6 October 22, 2009

Not for children, disturbing even as an adult

Oh my please do not let your children watch this movie. My husband and I saw it and were disturbed. This was what went on in that time period, yes but WOW is it disturbing. PLEASE PLEASE do not show it to your children.
Parent of a 14 year old Written bykalley11 May 21, 2009

how wonderful a movie!

this is a very good movie I wish there was no bad language though.
Parent Written byflipflops2012 October 23, 2011

Best Holocaust Movie for Young Children

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is a very good, educational movie that I highly suggest for family viewing. However, I do not suggest showing the movie to children without first discussing the Holocaust with them so that they have a better understanding of the movie and the issues it discusses. There could be some slightly inappropriate content as far as language and violence, so it's important as a parent to view this movie first to make sure that you feel comfortable sharing this material with your child. In my opinion, it is one of the best, non-graphic, Holocaust films and a good tool to teach young children about the topic of the Holocaust in an age-appropriate way.
Adult Written bymuchkasmom November 30, 2008

A Must See!!

This is a beautiful, well made film about the Holocaust. It's advertised as a family film but young children will not understand some of what's going on. My almost 12 year old loved it although during our discussion she wasn't sure of exactly what was happening at the end. I think one has to have a bit of backgroud on the Holocaust. Wonderful acting and a story that moves along keeping you on the edge of your seat all add to it's brilliance. One of the best films I've seen in a very long time.
Parent Written byLaura_72 April 7, 2015

Excellent educational tool

This movie displays crimes against humanity. No blood. No openly displayed executions or murder. The movie heavily hints towards violence but the viewing is quite limited. What this movie shows is on a more psychological level. This movie reveals how innocence has no place in a world where humanity has turned barbaric. It reveals to us that when we make decisions that have the capability to destroy individuals, families and cultures that our choices have consequences and sometimes those consequences backfire terribly. This movie is not about the preservence of the human spirit. It is a deeper look into the evils that man is capable of. It offers no hope, but demonstrates that the consequences of taking from someone(s) what they value the most- freedom, life and happiness will in the end, can take those things from you as well leaving you asking "why?"
Parent Written bytdod July 16, 2012

Upsetting, yet Good.

I think this film is an excellent choice. However, my children, Ruby and Jasper, found it quite upsetting at the end when the pow's went into the holocourst and they were told it was just a shower. I am going to let my year 7 class see this film as i am a humanities teacher.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylove2 September 24, 2009

SAD.

WARNING: CONTAINS A HUGE SPOILER whoa!!!!!! that movie was SAD! and vilont. Pour bruno and Shymol! who would do such a thing to two children?! It's just sick!!!!!!!!
Parent of a 8 and 14 year old Written bymselle2002 November 8, 2010

Definitely a sad movie. For teens and adults only.

Watched this movie with my 14 year old son in an effort to help him research a project on WWII. I wanted to show him, rather than tell him, what kind of atrocities come out of hatred and fanaticism. WOW, it opened some discussions, but I have to say, it bothered me to watch the conclusion. I'm sure that was the point, but it was a very difficult scene to watch. Very sad. Perhaps the only positive points I could find were 'loyalty' amongst friends and 'the innocence and lack of bigotry' in children.
Educator Written bysb34chick November 21, 2009

This was a fantastic movie. The storyline depicts the true reality that Jews were real people as a young son of a German military officer befriends a boy in a Jewish concentration camp. The ending is very strong, and I highly suggest watching this flick with your child, no matter what age!! Be prepared to discuss the holocaust, as viewers will not fully understand the movie without a basic knowledge. Many parts are alluded to, i.e. the smoke and smell coming from "the farm", are a reference to the burning of Jews in Auschwitz.
Parent of a 11 year old Written bymaleaab October 6, 2009

The end is traumatic...iffy for anyone under 16.

Until the last 10 minutes we thought this was an excellent film. The last 10 minutes are incredibly important to the story and highlight both the beauty and beastliness of humanity. The film would have been incomplete without those scenes. However, the end is extremely emotional, to a degree that most under 16 will not be equipped to deal with. My son is 11 and has vast knowledge of World War II, Concentration Camps, and more. He is also extremely mature. We loved the film but the end was too much for him to process.
Parent of a 11 year old Written bymickeyfynn June 20, 2009

Great movie - Not for kids

I thought this movie was well directed and acted with a great story line. However, the content of the Holocost was very shocking, especially at the very end. I did not read the ratings here before our family watched it with our 11 year old. He was horrified with the scenes in the movie and that something like this could have actually happened in our history. A great movie to watch, just not for kids.
Adult Written bydoglovermegan12 June 10, 2015

Take Caution for Young Viewers

This movie is incredibly sad and has a cruel twist of an ending to it. The story is told through the eyes of an 8 year old, giving us a rather limited view at first. As the story unfolds, we along with Bruno, start to see the war as it is. The movie tells it's story and portrays it's message straightforwardly, not hiding anything. It is because of this that caution should be taken for those who watch it. The ending won't leave your mind for a while, so get ready to discuss after watching.
Educator Written bymmccormack January 27, 2015

Sooo Good!

I thought this movie was fantastic! I teach 6th grade and think that it is very appropriate for them, especially if we are learning about this time in history, which we are! :) I did not hear any swearing in the movie. And their is not on scene violence.
Parent Written byVentura Lady March 13, 2013

Hate this world of Hate

I am 40yrs old... I had to pause the movie to catch my breath and thoughts, to wrap my head and heart around the idea of such hate... I don't do hate well. It really helps to see how innocent children are and how they don't see others as enemies... if only adults had that kind of love
Educator and Parent of a 2, 11, 17, and 20 year old Written bytish0000 March 24, 2011

Adult Written byAlphaZK93 January 23, 2011

Great high-school aged alternative to Schindler's List

First off, I've never seen Schindler's List due to it's R rating. One of the reasons I liked this film so much was because it was able to super-accurately show what happened during the Holocaust without actually "showing" it. All of the horrors that took place were almost always implied (since we are with the young boy most of the time, and the adults try to hide the exact goings on around him. But anyone who's studied WWII would know what the adults were hinting about). Be careful with younger children. THE ENDING IS REALLY DEPRESSING and could actually really disturb anyone that is close to the age of Bruno, since he's like 8 or something. Please. PLEASE. This is definitely PG-13. Not PG-5. or PG-9. PG-13.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byToddyLegs November 24, 2010

Boy in the Striped Pyjamas - 13+ - essential viewing

Fantastic film with devastating ending. Probably OK for 13+. IMO kids should be starting to learn about the Holocaust at that age and this is a suitable introduction. Wouldn't dream of showing it to my 9 year old.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byDareles September 15, 2010

There were two movies that I watched as a child that some may perceive as too graphic: "Roots" and "The Hiding Place". Those two movies moved me in a way that affected me forever. What happened in those movies was inhuman. I learned the truth about things that cannot be demonstrated through reading about it. You better believe that after seeing those two movies I had a new respect for others. In that sense, I think it is important for young kids to watch it (that is if they can handle it) My son was 10 1/2 or 11. He doesnt' show much emotion but I know it made an impact. He is even more sensitive to the treatment of others especially those of different race or religion. This movie will be very heartwrenching but it will show the ugly truth about hatred. I hope you too will be changed. I was.
Adult Written bygoodmum January 11, 2010

This is very well done movie, but very disturbing in the end. My 14-year-old daughter is pretty mature, but very sensitive and could hardly watch the final 20 minutes - she figured out what was going to happen before it did. The message of this move is so potent, but really leaves you feeling helpless and grief-stricken in the end. The movie bills itself as a story of the boys' friendship, but the real message is deeper and harsher and pointed at the adults of the time period.