All parent member reviews for The Breakfast Club

Adult Written byMature-teen September 10, 2010

Wait until you're mature enough to respect and get this movie...

Once your kid is close to high school or in high school they should watch it. Great moral, just a good movie that high school teens will get and like despite the fact its from the 80's.
Adult Written bytobier January 19, 2015

If you're upset by the language in this film...

...you need a reality check on how people talk.
Parent Written byPlague December 17, 2009

The Breafast Club

I think the disrespectfulness to the authority figures wasnt all that bad, since the authority figures didn't show a bit of respect to the students. In my opinion, respect shouldn't be automatic, it should be earned. Period. Great movie, 5 stars.
Parent Written byhisbygrace August 25, 2013

Bad language

Takes the Lord name in vain. Says God .... paired with da*n also says f**k and a numerous other words.
Adult Written byhartzler_84 December 17, 2008

Good lessons

This movie contains students from very different groups. I feel this is a good movie for teens to watch. Yes there is some bad language, but most kids have heard these words by the teen years. This movie teaches that you can't just judge somebody before you know who they really are, and why they act the way they do. With the way middle and high schoolers act and treat each other this is a very good movie for them to watch. It might even make more people think before they judge people or make fun of others.
Adult Written byfenixataris182 April 9, 2008
Adult Written byAlex Daulton November 8, 2011

Wait for high school

Everyone should watch this movie when they are in high school. If kids are in middle school, they won't appreciate it as much. It's not bad for anyone who is in high school. The cussing, drug use, and discussion of virginity, suicide, and abuse is nothing high schoolers aren't aware of. Just don't ruin the movie at an early age when the perfect time to watch it is while you are in high school.
Adult Written byvicky92 September 14, 2009

talk talk talk & no action

CLASSIC!! I think it's best to let your kids watch this movie when they're in middle school. That's the first time I ever watched it & I fell in love with it ^_^ They basically talk about sexual things, but they don't do anything. On the dvd they don't show them smoking pot, but i think on tv they do...or is it the other way around? it's one of those movies (like every other teen movie) that has bad messages in the beginning & good messages at the end.
Adult Written byzeekattacklee January 23, 2015

A must watch for mature teenagers..

A wonderful film that is worth watching. The first Time I heard about this film was when I was in High school. On the other hand, The student didn’t get their wish to let the teacher show this in school. So When I first watched this film, I was surprised at what I seen and heard.. The film did get pretty strong with the language.. But what do you expect, Teenagers at school always curse. Another part in this film also surprised me to.. This was the part where they started talking sexual and did drugs.. Otherwise, I really enjoyed how this film was put together and how nicely the creator made the high school stereotypes.. Besides the language and that one drug scene, This film would be great for mature teenagers.. Other than that, I wouldn’t recommend this film to younger children..
Parent Written byKassandraL May 29, 2013

Watch with caution

Good film, however I disapproved of some of the characters and the behaviors shown in the film.This would be a good one to watch alongside your kids once they start maturing.
Parent Written bymarisolq July 9, 2015

We each find our way

I like this movie a lot and my teen daughter did as well. It gave us the opportunity to bring up some good topics, i.e. Girls that say no are not teases, we don't really know about what others lives are like unless we stop to listen, everyone has things they struggle with be it grades, parental pressure or abusive parents. Some kids act out while others struggle because they feel misunderstood by their parents. I wouldn't recommend this movie for teens unless you are ready to discuss sex, acting out, and smoking pot. But, if you want good candid conversations with your teen, you can't go wrong with this film. The last comment I'll make, some homophobic comments and the word fag on a locker. I mentioned this to my daughter and she said, this movie was made a long time ago... People didn't really know better.
Parent of a 6, 12, and 15 year old Written bycab87670 November 27, 2010

A good time for older kids

This movie is one of my all time favorite films from the 80s. The characters are very well made up and it keeps your attention. I will say that it is appropriate for anyone 13 or high school aged. It is heavy on the language and some sexual dialogue but it isn't too graphic.
Adult Written bypeace2006 January 20, 2016

Best movie ever

It is appropriate for 11 and up its has talk about virginity and drugs but most 11 year olds understand stuff like that.
Parent Written byhelper + June 16, 2012

cool bro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i love this movie it is the best i am 10 years old and i think it is the best
Parent Written bybabya2290 July 4, 2015

the movie

It was good
Adult Written bytrevork June 7, 2015

depends on parent

This movie might just be the best movie ever created. But there is a few reasons why it shouldn't be for kids under the age of 9. Here is one. WAY TOO MUCH CUSSING. 2 john bender and Alison talk about if Claire is a virgin or not. 3 one person talks about killing himself. 4 John, Claire,Andrew,and Bryan all smoke pot on screen. Also John smokes cigarettes. That's all I have to say.
Parent of a 1 and 6 year old Written byAshleyL 1 March 12, 2015

Great for teens with adult supervision

This movie has been marked as having no positive message due to the disregard for authority. I however feel that there is a very positive message for teens in this that is very notable when the characters all realize that they do have stuff in common even though they are from different groups. They also begin to empathize with each other throughout the movie. I do believe that this move does require parental guidance throughout the entire thing and an open discussion with children/teens after/during view due to the open discussions and references to drugs, sex, and other mature themes.
Adult Written byhelsingmusique October 5, 2014

My Favourite High School Movie Ever

I adore the Breakfast Club, and have ever since I first saw the film. It is a film that centres around a person from each clique of high school and it shows their differences, but also how similar they all are despite money and upbringing. A powerful message, even today. However, your child has to know about swearing to watch this film because some of the things they say are even more inappropriate and frowned upon now than they were when the film was made. 11 and up should be good, as long as your kid sees other films with swear words or goes to school (For the latter isn't homeschooled since they wouldn't hear swearing at school as their school is their house and if you didn't swear, they really wouldn't). The themes of the story can turn quite dark as well, from the principal threatening Bender to Brian's story about why he was in detention. If you haven't seen the movie in like 20 years or more, re-watch it, because some people are surprised at what they forgot about that film.
Adult Written byLowe's man May 19, 2014

perfect for high schoolers

I identified with Claire (Molly Ringwald's character) because she's more innocent and naive than the others. I was that way when I was a teenager, and to some extent I still am. At times Claire had to tell the others, sometimes rather bluntly, to back off. Unfortunately, I have to do that at times too. Bender was disrespectful to the detention supervisor, but again the detention supervisor was disrespectful not only to Bender, but to everyone. While Bender was wrong to act disrespectfully, as 2 wrongs don't make a right, the detention supervisor had it coming to him. Respect goes both ways. In other words, it's a 2 way street. The message of the movie is that, underneath our exteriors, we all have complex personalities. This movie also shows how life experiences shape who we are. If your teens understand the potential dangers of marijuana, everything will be fine. This is a movie they should watch.
Adult Written byTqueen93 June 8, 2012

my personal favorite

I think this is a movie every teenager should watch, like the week before high school, so that they can understand that someone who acts like a jerk (the jock) may be ordered to do that, or that the outcast (the basket case) is ignored back home and stopped caring. Please let your twelve year old kid watch this, not with a parent, but with friends, it'll help them grow through school, it did for me