Parent reviews for The 'Burbs

Dated slapstick comedy-horror mix is silly but stale.

Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byB1rd May 5, 2017

Rated 12 but contains clips of rated 18 Horror movies

We put this on to watch with our kids as it is rated 12 and my husband remembered enjoying it as a child. The situation with the neighbours is pretty ominous and there is one section where Tom Hanks' character is watching TV and graphic very scary clips from The Exorcist and Texas Chain Saw Massacre flash up. They are brief but enough to terrify my 12 year old. Completely unnecessary and inappropriate. Avoid this movie.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byCali_Dad December 31, 2016

Everyone can relate to the 'Burbs

The 'Burbs is an under-appreciated movie. The entire movie takes takes place on a single street. The neighbors begin to suspect some foul play when an old man on the block goes missing. The new, reclusive neighbors are suspect. There's no gore or super suspense. The main characters are all seasoned actors who turn out quotable after quotable. Enjoy the movie for what it is and you will love it. For the kids, there's a scene early in the movie with Ricky Butler making comments about the scantily clad neighbor lacking tan lines. Another character has the tendency to drop "God Damn's" etc. Later in the movie there is a reference to the main character's b*lls being kept in his wife's purse.
Adult Written byKen L. December 27, 2016

Boy, did the critics blow this one!

Excellent movie! An instant Tom Hanks classic. The critics must have had "a nine on the old tension scale, eh Rube". The scene where Bruce Dern fell off the roof and rifle shot out the car window had me rolling in aisles. Carrie, God rest her soul, was excellent as the only sane person in the bunch The critics couldn't be more wrong. This will be a classic. RIP Carrie.

Parent Written byknuckleheadmom July 14, 2018

Classic Tom Hanks Comedy + A Bit Morbid

This movie as an adult makes me LOL. We don’t watch horror movies as a family but this is just enough to give you that eerie feel combined with Tom Hank’s crazy antics. For kids, yes there is a bit of cussing and several conversations about drinking beer. I prefer to skip over the brief scene where Tom Hanks is watching old horror movies on TV. I will probably always keep this movie in my collection!!