All parent member reviews for The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian

Adult Written byOC Dad April 9, 2008

Great family Adventure

Took our 8 and 10 year old to see the movie. A couple of scenes where a little scary and there certainly is a lot of violence. The violence is without gore, but know your kids. If the kids can handle star wars type movies they'll be fine. If I had two girls I'd be very excited because the female characters are strong, brave, level headed and independent. Good stuff. The opportunity for talking about life lessons: Mercy, pride, when to ask for help, friendship, diversity, different gifts, etc... is endless. See it on the big screen! See it digital if you can--beautiful. length...didn't check my watch once...moved quickly. My 10 year old totally engrossed. 8 year old had a few wiggles and found one scene to be cause for sitting on papa's lap.
Parent of a 5, 6, and 8 year old Written bysmille April 9, 2008

Purists may balk, but PC is a faithful adaption.

Get past Ben Barnes prettiness, and you can clearly see the heart of C.S. Lewis' tale. Parents should watch out for the violence threshold of their children. My 8-year-old navigated the waters well, with LOTS of question and answers about war, fighting and God's intentions of both.
Adult Written byHarry Potter 1 June 8, 2013

"Prince Caspain" not king of the Narnian movies. And THIS MOVIE SHOULD HAVE BEEN PG-13!

Prince Caspian is nowhere near as good as the Lion,the Witch,and The Wardrobe or the Voyage of the Dawn Treader. This movie has neither the wonder of Narnia found in LLW nor the adventure of VOTDT. This movie is lacking the quality of story the other Narnia movies provide. It gets off to an okay start and has a decent ending. But too much of this movie seems to consist of incoherent battle scenes. Action and battle seem to take over at expense of story in large parts of this movie. The battle scenes don't dominate the book in the same way the do in the movie. The book offers MUCH more depth of story,espeically with more development regard to the children figuring out they have returned to Cair Paravel hundreds of years later and the history of Caspian. I also could have done without the suggested romances in the movie,however brief they might have been. While the visual work on this movie is good,and I enjoyed "The call" enough to purchase an MP3 version of the song,overall this movie disappointed me. Then there's the tension between Peter and Caspian,which is totally out of line as there is NONE of it in the book. Parents should aware that there is very high level of violence in this film and it probably should have been PG-13. While there isn't any gore or anything graphic,a number of loud and long scenes of violence with swords are included in this movie and it's overall tone is pretty violent. While middle schoolers and above should be able to cope with Prince Caspian,it is not for elementary school children. A lack of quality story and an overemphasis on battle scenes caused this movie to be a disappointment. Sex/sexuality: Just the one kissing scene which is brief. Not much of a concern. Language: The 1 out 5 is accurate: No profanity. Idiot and shut up are used. If the worst language in a movie is shut up then that's VERY mild. Drugs.alcohol,and tobacco: None at all. Emotionally intensity: 1 out 5. This is much more of an action movie than an emotional movie. There is a feeling of sadness when it is realized that Peter and Susan will never return to Narnia. Violence: 4 out 5. While there are no guns in this movie and while the violence is mostly non gory and non graphic,the 3 out 5 understates the amount of violence in this film. The movie largely consists of loud extended battle scenes that are very violent. The sword violence is loud,cringeworthy,and constant through the movie. Rating: Should have been PG-13. Far too violent for PG. Absolutely off for: Toddlers,preschoolers,kindergarteners,and elementary school children. Absolutely on for: Middle schoolers and older. How faithful is it to the book?: 40%
Adult Written byrodenparker April 9, 2008

Exciting but a little less wondersome

I took my son to see it (he's 7) and he loved it. There were plenty of 5-9 year olds there. Some of the younger ones might have been scared at a few scenes (white witch, battles) but it was fine for my son. The violence is mostly battles w/o blood. Pretty good movie. I liked the first one better since it introduced you to Narnia and it was all wondersome the first time. Still, a good movie to check out. OK for 7+.
Adult Written bydmym April 9, 2008

Very violent

I was so uncomfortable with the violence that I walked out of the theater. "No blood and gore" does not make a movie non-violent. I found it particulary disturbing to watch children killing people. My daughter will not be watching this movie until she is 13 or older. We'll stick with the books.
Adult Written byaliyan.wali.33 July 5, 2015

This movie was much more violent than The Lion, Witch and Wardrobe. They changed the story a lot from the book and added a lot of scenes that were not in the book. There are a lot of war scenes that could be disturbing for younger children. When Edmund drops a flashlight, it causes a ... read more

Parent of a 3, 7, and 9 year old Written bystephen.davis@g... December 10, 2009

Fine for Young Kids

Our kids loved it. Great fantasy element. Kid focused cast. Relatively simple story (though some of the grander themes were likely lost on them). Strong characters - boys and girls (which is hard to find). Very enjoyable. Violence not at all graphic. Well done
Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written bymiawicklund May 8, 2009

Your young princes deserve a better movie!

The battle scenes were excessively violent and did not add to the story. We understand the conflict and only one face-off is necessary. Very gratuitous and not much else.
Adult Written bysmart01 April 9, 2008

LOVED IT!!!!

We took our 12 & 9 year olds to this. My 12 year old seemed a little board until the middle of the movie. My 9 year old had read the book in 8 days, so needless to say he loved it. I did not have any issues with the fighting of the movie, no blood was shown. I did not think the fighting was that bad. This has a great biblical sense to it. We loved it and will by it on DVD.
Adult Written byAmojo10 April 9, 2008

One of the great family films to all ages

I was eagerly awaiting to see this film, and Prince Caspian did not disappoint. I took my four children (ages 5-11) and they all really enjoyed the movie as much as I did. The action of this movie starts from the beginning and continues throughout. This movie does have a little bit more violence, but the violence is not of the gory type. The imagery of this film is incredible, and Aslan is that much more. He is so much larger in this film and once you see the movie, you will understand. The Ice Princess makes a brief appearance but is cut short thanks to Edmond. Overall, the movie is great and you do not have to worry about a thing when you bring your children to watch it. And if you are a person of the Christian faith, there is so much that you walk away from this movie with. This movie will allow you to discuss many different topics with your children, and with other people as well. Go, and enjoy with whomever. peace to you
Parent Written bybabysitrcares December 31, 2010

More violent than the other Narnia Films

Good movie, but it's violent and a little scary for younger kids.
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byCarynB May 20, 2009

Good Movie

While I have to admit the violence was there I don't think it was that excessive. I am a very strict parent when it comes to what movies we allow in our home but the moral lessons of this movie far outweight the violence.
Adult Written byMom_and_Son February 11, 2009

It was PG, what?!

The only reason this movie was PG was because of a few comiedic relief lines and the fact that the first one was PG. Very very very Dark for a PG off for 8 and younger. 9-12 parents cautioned. P.S. Twilight even wasn't as dark.
Parent of a 1, 8, 9, and 14 year old Written bythejokerspencil January 28, 2009

Let Down Fluncks

no comment
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written bymathmom April 9, 2008

Wow! Better than the first one!

This sequel to the first Narnia movie was even better than "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" according to my 10 year old son. The intriguing story of the Pevensie sibling's long-awaited return to Narnia was exciting and intriguing with a story of war and betrayal. There were many actions by Prince Caspian's people, the Telmurines, that were morally questionable that many children will be confused about (especially towards the end in the fight scene). I would also warn about the scene where the Telmurine King tells the General (in so many words) to pretend that they were attacked by Narnians and to kill innocent soldiers to save face to the people. A very sad scene where Narnians are trapped inside the castle to die was also hard for my 8-year-old daughter to take, but absolutely no blood or gore was involved. The power struggle between Peter and Caspian is also a very subtle and mature theme that does not get fully developed (and I'm not sure if it does in the boo). However, the storyline of Lucy's faith in Aslan's love for them and his magic is very powerful. My kids though that the magic of Aslan and when Lucy had the dream about Aslan with the trees coming to life at the end was the best part of the whole movie. This movie was aimed at an bit older audience than the first Narnia, as I think appropriate. I would highly recommend this movie, but be prepared for younger children to have questions about the actions of people who are greedy for power.
Adult Written byValentin l. September 4, 2016

more darknest that the first narnia

it's a little more violent that the first but good film disney.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 June 6, 2012

chronicles narnia prince caspian

Families can talk about whether this film is faithful to the book -- both in spirit and in plot. What was changed? Why do you think the filmmakers strayed from the original story? Which do you like better, and why? Why do you think Aslan is seen at first only by Lucy. Are there religious/Biblical overtones to her belief in him? What does he mean when he says "Nothing happens the same way twice"? How do Caspian and Peter handle sharing leadership duties? Are they successful? If not, how do they resolve the issue?
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written bychristina.scf December 4, 2010

My 9 year old daughter loved it!

My 9 year old daugher loved it. She watched it twice last weekend even though it is nearly 2 hours long. She loved the action. My 7 year old enjoyed it, but not nearly as much. They understand the violence is fake and they know what words are not okay to use. The lack of "blood & guts" and really foul language made it okay for them to watch. If your little ones still have trouble seperating movies from reality or like to act out what they see in the movies, then this might not be okay for them.
Adult Written bysarahkay89 November 20, 2010

Great family movie! Loved it.

I really liked the book way better than the movie. But if you separate the two and think of the movie as a stand-alone its great. A little violent for young viewers, but overall an enjoyable family movie.
Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written byAimeeblue June 13, 2010