All parent member reviews for The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Parent of a 10 year old Written bySandlot812 December 31, 2010

If you liked the other Narnia movies then this one is great.

Very engaging - lots of action and funny. Mild language issues ("crap"). Final scene can get a bit intense for a sensitive young child (7-8) but if they have seen the other Narnia movies, this one is fine.
Parent of a 4, 7, and 9 year old Written bymr.travis December 12, 2010

Great family movie, but pretty intense

My 2 older children and I are big fans of the Narnia books and have been interested in the 2 prior movies on DVD. This is the first one they have been ready to see on the big screen. They are age 7 and 9, and though that's younger than I would recommend we saw it opening weekend anyway. We thought it was a terrific movie. We had read the book aloud over the last month to have the ideas and characters fresh in mind, and also to enjoy our own imagination's view of the story before it's forever replaced by movie imagery. We had interesting discussion afterward about how the filmmakers adapted the story. My own opinion is that new plot elements (such as the Mist, the 7 swords, temptation of the characters) offered new and appropriate depth to the story while holding the narrative tightly together as a film requires. We are interested in the religious allegories inherent in the Narnia stories, and I found them well-preserved in this film adaptation. After being somewhat disappointed by film #2 Prince Caspian for its watering down of the novel, I felt that Dawn Treader returned to the clearer focus we observed the first Narnia movie. Yes, the movie is pretty scary and loud. The dramatic battle with the sea serpent got very intense (maybe pushing PG-13). My kids and I had agreed together to see it in 2D, rather than 3D, to take the edge off, and were glad we did. (I'm tempted to sneak back out for the 3D version...) It's worth mentioning how beautifully imagined this movie is. The Dawn Treader vessel itself is brilliantly conceived, and the sweeping seascapes and fantastic settings make this a wonderful escape. Thematically, I thought the issues of self-worth and temptation that the main characters contend with were believable and edifying. And the cold realization that this is Edmund and Lucy's final visit to Narnia was nicely handled (a bit of a tear-jerker for dad).
Adult Written bysunrise31 December 25, 2010

Excellent Movie

I love this movie. It's my favorite of the narnia movies so far. It strays from the book a little, but I still love it. The final action sequence with the sea serpent is a little frightening for small children, but the messages and lessons are excellent. I highly recommend it!!!
Adult Written bykhan2705 December 8, 2010

enjoyable Family fantasy adventure .

Lucy and Edmund Pevensie return to Narnia with their cousin Eustace where they meet up with Prince Caspian for a trip across the sea aboard the royal ship The Dawn Treader. Along the way they encounter dragons, dwarvf camps, and a band of lost warriors before reaching the edge of the world. the third movie in the series again returns to the Children fantasy adventure movie type as the second movie was a lot darker and mature look with an epic feel which i didn't like that much. this one is not much better then the first one. i have mixed feelings about this movie. its not what i expected from this one but still. its very plainly simple movie which follows a very simple and extremely digestible plot. its for kids definitely. it lacks any epic battle scenes. its entirely different from the previous two movies. the older siblings are not in the movie, they just appear in a tiny bit scene towards the middle of the movie, i missed them, lol. Ben Barnes who plays Prince Caspian looks good in his character but its not the same fighting Prince we saw. Georgie Henley looks very good in her character too as Lucy, i so love her in it. and also Skandar Keynes as Edmond, they both carry this movie on there somewhat going to be mature shoulders though they are still young but they looks good. there is a new character shown, Eustace, who is there cousin and joins them in the journey played by Will Poulter and he is very hilarious i mean he plays very well, he is very funny as he gets shocked in this new world. adorable character. other supporting characters are decent. on thing i would talk about is the unnecessary use of the modern fashion thing 3D, yes, its useless in this movie as it is an epic like fantasy adventure which is based on a book series. Harry Potter and this one, i mean they don't need the 3D technology, they should not join the race. they should stay as they are. don't waste your money in 3D theaters watch it in simple screens. i won't say its one of the very best movies this year or ever or of the series but its above average and enjoyable. its Directed decently, not very good. screenplay is decent, with minor flaws. but the good thing is that this movie is never boring at all. special effects are good. Dragons, Dwarfs, Magical kingdoms and places, Talking animals, and many other things. Cinematography is good. Editing is somewhat below average though. its enjoyable visual treat, watch it with not so big expectations and you will like it.
Parent of a 13 year old Written bymbust December 6, 2010

Just went to see the movie which already opened in Spain. The movie follows well the previous movies, keeping to the values and positive message of the others. The only concern I had was with bringing my 6 year old boy, who loved he sword fight scenes but who was scared with the sea monster scenes, which were pretty violent and scary looking. I took care to sit with him so that he could jump on my lap and close his eyes, which he did. Otherwise the movie should be a favorite of all fans of the series.
Parent of a 2, 3, 4, and 5 year old Written byJ.Foster November 19, 2010

I have seen a sneek preview of the Voyage of the Dawn Treader, and I give it 5 stars. Aside from the excellent acting, visual effects, action, and color that we've come to expect from the Narnia series, this movie does an outstanding job of portraying the theme of personal temptation. Each of the main characters - Lucy, Edmund, Eustice, and King Caspian - are tempted by what they desire most (at different points of the movie). There are lots of talking points here for parents about how to respond when tempted (and even after giving in to temptation). For those who have read the books, this movie does a better job of sticking to C.S. Lewis' original plot than the "Prince Caspian" movie did. It does introduce a new theme ("the green mist" that steals souls), but it complements Lewis' minor theme of temptation and makes it a major storyline. There is also lots of Christian symbolism, so if you enjoy C.S. Lewis' symbolism, you can talk through the ideas with your kids. **Scare factor** This movie is not appropriate for younger children (below 8). There is a scene where a mom is taken away by slave traders, a scene of the slave trade, some swordplay as the slaves are freed, and a very hideous-looking sea monster in the final battle scene. All of it is clean fantasy violence (AKA - little or no actual violence is depicted, but it can be imagined), but with the sounds and fast action, it may be scary for younger kids. I highly recommend this movie. Support clean, wholesome fantasy by seeing this in the theater, and use it as a teaching-point to encourage your kids in the decision to say "no" to what tempts them most.
Adult Written byharedi January 17, 2011

Very good movie.

A liitle scary in some parts, but an overall good message. Good things to discuss with the kids regarding the meaning of who Aslo is and what world he's created. Also about faith. Really enjoyed it as a family.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bybtasv April 6, 2011

Parent of a 3, 7, and 9 year old Written byKatmarie February 3, 2011

Parent Written bybabysitrcares December 31, 2010

Don't Miss This Movie!

This movie is wonderful! Fantastic story teaching great values. It does get a little scary and dark in parts- but if you fast forward through the dark island the movie is worth watching even for younger kids!
Parent of a 11 and 14 year old Written byshifley December 13, 2010

Good movie, 3D not necessary.

Good movie. The 3D effects were not worth it, though. We love the book and the movie does it justice.
Parent of a 17 year old Written byjkssmom December 3, 2010

Far better positive message than Harry Potter

Parent of a 3, 5, 7, 9, 9, and 10 year old Written bytheotherSarah January 1, 2011

Really enjoyed it

The Chronicles of Narnia (books) are a family favorite, and we liked this adaptation. Not entirely true to the book (there are some additions to the plot), but the feel of the story is Narnian and we enjoyed it thoroughly.
Parent of a 11 and 12 year old Written byslam4farley December 21, 2010

You have got to go see this movie!!!!

Loved it! had a lot of positive messages that Tweens deal with. The animation was great, the new character introduced was historical, and it kept my attention the whole time!
Parent of a 3 and 4 year old Written bylaribrook February 9, 2011

This is a great family movie - for older kids. The sea serpent scene is just too scary for anyone younger than 10 (and even then it might be too much - it is quite involved). I think this movie is best appreciated by older kids. Wait - and they will like it so much more.
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byJayn December 28, 2010

Read commonsense before taking your 8yr old to see this!

Book-to-Movie translation just cant capture the good messages of looking within ourselves to see we have a variety of "good/bad" characteristics. The quest to overcome 'temptations' wasnt as explicit in the movie (obviously cannot cover all the internal dialogue and feelings). Also still references an external 'evil' which needs to be overcome. personally, i prefer not to see the world in such duality - and i do think the movie gives a good starting point for that discussion. I wish the monster wasnt so terrifically scarey tho - my imagination did not create that when i read the books!
Parent of a 8 year old Written bySmokey Edwards December 19, 2010

I think this was a really awesome movie! It wasn't too scary, but when the ghost took Lucy away that was kind of scary. And I think that Aslan is a awesome role model because he treats people nicely (only good people). There was some sword fighting so it might not be good for little kids, but you should go see it!
Parent of a 10, 12, and 14 year old Written bydasant3 December 12, 2010

To those that have been a fan of the first two Narnia movies, this will be a very welcome installment. Purists may have difficulty with some minor changes to the written story-line, however, it still very much follows C.S. Lewis' Narnia story and reminds all of us the meaning of role models and how friendships are forged in adversity. It is my hope that this will keep this series alive and we will see another one in due time.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byMariaMom December 12, 2010

We all greatly enjoyed the entire movie. Great to see how people can change.
Adult Written byMi3 February 2, 2011