Parent reviews for The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader Poster Image

Very, very, badly made.

C.S. Lewis probably turned over in his grave when this was made. It was so bad. Bad acting, inaccurate, stupid, and there is some weird stuff in there. I put 18+ on it because that was the last and I do not recommend it to anyone.
1 person found this helpful.

The epitome of Narniaian adventure

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader is a wonderful adventure. While Prince Caspian was a big disappointment,this movie returns the wonder of Narnia found in The Lion,the,Witch,and the Wardrobe. Now,the Voyage of the Dawn is not NEARLY as literal a book to movie translation as the Lion,the Witch,and the Wardrobe was,the spirit of the story is absolutely preserved. The feeling of adventure our now seafaring friends provide in the book is absolutely present in the movie. The order in which they find each of places is somewhat different in the movie than in the book but they are all there. The biggest change from the book to the movie is that the key plot point involving Eustace occurs much later in the film than it did in the book. The Voyage of The Dawn Treader is an exceptionally well made movie that really captures the spirit of it' s story. The visual work and acting is the best of the 3 Narnia films. The change of order of events doesn't bother me at all. They hit all the important places and the plot and spirit of the story is captured well. I also really liked the character moment where Caspian decides to stay in Narnia rather than seek his father in Aslan's country. His comments "I don't think my father would be proud if I gave up everything he died for." And "I've spent too much time wanting what was taken from me and not what I was given." speak to a reflective and maturing character and I thought that was a nice bit of character development. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader is a family friendly film and is perfectly appropriate for anyone in 1st grade or older. Pause for those below 1st grade because of the sea serpent. I highly recommend this wonderful adventure movie. Sex/sexuality: Not an issue. Drugs,alcohol,and tobacco: None at all. Language: The 1 out of 5 is accurate. No profanity. Just some mild insults. Emotional intensity: 1 out of 5. Not much. There is a feeling of sadness when it is realized that Edmund and Lucy will never return to Narnia. Violence: 2 of 5. The least amount in the series. The sea serpent can be scary and there is some sword stuff but it's a pretty tame movie overall. Absolutely on for: 1st graders and older. Pause for anyone younger. How faithful is it to the book?: 80% Positive role models: Caspian for sure. And he makes his decision and his own. Aslan does not give Caspian advice on whether to seek his father or stay in Narnia,only that his choice cannot be undone. Caspian then reflects and makes the mature and responsible choice to stay in Narnia and fulfill his duties as king. Positive messages: The story of Eustace gives a good message that a person can change and become a better person.

1 person found this helpful.
Really good! The acting was fantastic! Wish Peter and Susan could be in it but oh well. Still really good!!it has great messages about how you shouldn’t compare yourself to others and that it is what’s on the inside that counts. Some violence so I don’t recommend for little kids.

Please read the books

I get that putting all that's on the book in just over two hours of film is difficult, but this movie has issues regarding plot, tone, pacing and there are also some weird decisions. I enjoyed Reepicheep though.

Fantastic family film that's not 15 years old

Probably my favorite of the Narnia movies (odd for trilogy). They didn't ruin it with politics or any other degeneracy ... just good story, neat effects and decent acting. Hard to come by for family movies after 2005.

Adventurous, fun, and scary

Similar to Prince Caspian, there are a lot of intense scenes and has good themes and role models. There is a bit more profanity though.

It is an interesting movie for children's. Even teens and adults can also enjoy it. This movie does is really lovely. It has magic which attracts children's. I want to just say that overall its great to watch this movie specially for children's.

This is a great family movie - for older kids. The sea serpent scene is just too scary for anyone younger than 10 (and even then it might be too much - it is quite involved). I think this movie is best appreciated by older kids. Wait - and they will like it so much more.