Parent reviews for The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Engaging third Narnia adventure is fun for tweens and up.

Parent of a 10 year old Written bySandlot812 December 31, 2010

If you liked the other Narnia movies then this one is great.

Very engaging - lots of action and funny. Mild language issues ("crap"). Final scene can get a bit intense for a sensitive young child (7-8) but if they have seen the other Narnia movies, this one is fine.
Adult Written byHarry Potter 1 June 9, 2013

The epitome of Narniaian adventure

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader is a wonderful adventure. While Prince Caspian was a big disappointment,this movie returns the wonder of Narnia found in The Lion,the,Witch,and the Wardrobe. Now,the Voyage of the Dawn is not NEARLY as literal a book to movie translation as the Lion,the Witch,and the Wardrobe was,the spirit of the story is absolutely preserved. The feeling of adventure our now seafaring friends provide in the book is absolutely present in the movie. The order in which they find each of places is somewhat different in the movie than in the book but they are all there. The biggest change from the book to the movie is that the key plot point involving Eustace occurs much later in the film than it did in the book. The Voyage of The Dawn Treader is an exceptionally well made movie that really captures the spirit of it' s story. The visual work and acting is the best of the 3 Narnia films. The change of order of events doesn't bother me at all. They hit all the important places and the plot and spirit of the story is captured well. I also really liked the character moment where Caspian decides to stay in Narnia rather than seek his father in Aslan's country. His comments "I don't think my father would be proud if I gave up everything he died for." And "I've spent too much time wanting what was taken from me and not what I was given." speak to a reflective and maturing character and I thought that was a nice bit of character development. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader is a family friendly film and is perfectly appropriate for anyone in 1st grade or older. Pause for those below 1st grade because of the sea serpent. I highly recommend this wonderful adventure movie. Sex/sexuality: Not an issue. Drugs,alcohol,and tobacco: None at all. Language: The 1 out of 5 is accurate. No profanity. Just some mild insults. Emotional intensity: 1 out of 5. Not much. There is a feeling of sadness when it is realized that Edmund and Lucy will never return to Narnia. Violence: 2 of 5. The least amount in the series. The sea serpent can be scary and there is some sword stuff but it's a pretty tame movie overall. Absolutely on for: 1st graders and older. Pause for anyone younger. How faithful is it to the book?: 80% Positive role models: Caspian for sure. And he makes his decision and his own. Aslan does not give Caspian advice on whether to seek his father or stay in Narnia,only that his choice cannot be undone. Caspian then reflects and makes the mature and responsible choice to stay in Narnia and fulfill his duties as king. Positive messages: The story of Eustace gives a good message that a person can change and become a better person.

Parent of a 8 and 13 year old Written byCollegeGirl_Kid... January 6, 2011
This was an amazing movie with a little bit for everyone. The graphics and story were amazing, however the sea creature was a bit intense for younger children. The cousin, who starts out as a brat, is a character you still fall in love with and has a major transformation by the end of the movie. Sex, which is marked on this review, is NOT an issue. Seeing two people flirt for an instance and one implicated "pretty girl" don't make a sex issue, even 1 on a scale of 5. I highly recommend this movie. In fact, those I went with and others I have spoke to all agree that this one may be better than the first!

Parent of a 3 and 4 year old Written bylaribrook February 9, 2011
This is a great family movie - for older kids. The sea serpent scene is just too scary for anyone younger than 10 (and even then it might be too much - it is quite involved). I think this movie is best appreciated by older kids. Wait - and they will like it so much more.

Parent of a 3, 7, and 9 year old Written byKatmarie February 3, 2011

Adult Written byharedi January 17, 2011

Very good movie.

A liitle scary in some parts, but an overall good message. Good things to discuss with the kids regarding the meaning of who Aslo is and what world he's created. Also about faith. Really enjoyed it as a family.

Parent of a 3, 5, 7, 9, 9, and 10 year old Written bytheotherSarah January 1, 2011

Really enjoyed it

The Chronicles of Narnia (books) are a family favorite, and we liked this adaptation. Not entirely true to the book (there are some additions to the plot), but the feel of the story is Narnian and we enjoyed it thoroughly.
Parent Written bybabysitrcares December 31, 2010

Don't Miss This Movie!

This movie is wonderful! Fantastic story teaching great values. It does get a little scary and dark in parts- but if you fast forward through the dark island the movie is worth watching even for younger kids!

Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byJayn December 28, 2010

Read commonsense before taking your 8yr old to see this!

Book-to-Movie translation just cant capture the good messages of looking within ourselves to see we have a variety of "good/bad" characteristics. The quest to overcome 'temptations' wasnt as explicit in the movie (obviously cannot cover all the internal dialogue and feelings). Also still references an external 'evil' which needs to be overcome. personally, i prefer not to see the world in such duality - and i do think the movie gives a good starting point for that discussion. I wish the monster wasnt so terrifically scarey tho - my imagination did not create that when i read the books!

Adult Written bysunrise31 December 25, 2010

Excellent Movie

I love this movie. It's my favorite of the narnia movies so far. It strays from the book a little, but I still love it. The final action sequence with the sea serpent is a little frightening for small children, but the messages and lessons are excellent. I highly recommend it!!!

Parent of a 8 year old Written bySmokey Edwards December 19, 2010
I think this was a really awesome movie! It wasn't too scary, but when the ghost took Lucy away that was kind of scary. And I think that Aslan is a awesome role model because he treats people nicely (only good people). There was some sword fighting so it might not be good for little kids, but you should go see it!

Parent of a 11 and 14 year old Written byshifley December 13, 2010

Good movie, 3D not necessary.

Good movie. The 3D effects were not worth it, though. We love the book and the movie does it justice.
Parent of a 4, 7, and 9 year old Written bymr.travis December 12, 2010

Great family movie, but pretty intense

My 2 older children and I are big fans of the Narnia books and have been interested in the 2 prior movies on DVD. This is the first one they have been ready to see on the big screen. They are age 7 and 9, and though that's younger than I would recommend we saw it opening weekend anyway. We thought it was a terrific movie. We had read the book aloud over the last month to have the ideas and characters fresh in mind, and also to enjoy our own imagination's view of the story before it's forever replaced by movie imagery. We had interesting discussion afterward about how the filmmakers adapted the story. My own opinion is that new plot elements (such as the Mist, the 7 swords, temptation of the characters) offered new and appropriate depth to the story while holding the narrative tightly together as a film requires. We are interested in the religious allegories inherent in the Narnia stories, and I found them well-preserved in this film adaptation. After being somewhat disappointed by film #2 Prince Caspian for its watering down of the novel, I felt that Dawn Treader returned to the clearer focus we observed the first Narnia movie. Yes, the movie is pretty scary and loud. The dramatic battle with the sea serpent got very intense (maybe pushing PG-13). My kids and I had agreed together to see it in 2D, rather than 3D, to take the edge off, and were glad we did. (I'm tempted to sneak back out for the 3D version...) It's worth mentioning how beautifully imagined this movie is. The Dawn Treader vessel itself is brilliantly conceived, and the sweeping seascapes and fantastic settings make this a wonderful escape. Thematically, I thought the issues of self-worth and temptation that the main characters contend with were believable and edifying. And the cold realization that this is Edmund and Lucy's final visit to Narnia was nicely handled (a bit of a tear-jerker for dad).

Parent Written byRoberto I. August 23, 2018

Adventurous, fun, and scary

Similar to Prince Caspian, there are a lot of intense scenes and has good themes and role models. There is a bit more profanity though.

Adult Written byNancyabhamishra July 14, 2018

It is an interesting movie for children's. Even teens and adults can also enjoy it. This movie does is really lovely. It has magic which attracts children's. I want to just say that overall its great to watch this movie specially for children's.

Adult Written byMi3 February 2, 2011

Parent of a 6, 9, and 11 year old Written bytramfos January 10, 2011

Great Family Movie

My family and I absolutely loved this movie. We have seen all of the Narnia movies and this was not a disappointment. There is one scary scene that involves the serpents,, but other than that i found it to be completely acceptable for all of my children.

Parent Written byMontanaMama January 3, 2011
It says alot about what life is like for kids today. There is so much pressure to be adult at too young and age. This movie celebrates that they are growing up and having to let go of several dreams as children. But that the choices they make will either put them on an easier road or a harder road. But either way they will get there.

Parent of a 11 and 12 year old Written byslam4farley December 21, 2010

You have got to go see this movie!!!!

Loved it! had a lot of positive messages that Tweens deal with. The animation was great, the new character introduced was historical, and it kept my attention the whole time!
Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written byD71Collier December 20, 2010

Excellent movie for older children

I thought the movie was excellent - well done and an interesting adaptation of the book. BUT - DEFINITELY not for younger children. Very intense, especially on the big screen. It helps to have read the book, if only to put the movie in context.