All parent member reviews for The Dark Knight

Adult Written bypzacle April 9, 2008

How do you explain a psychopath to a kid?

The questions I've received from my mature 12 year old since the movie: Why do psychopaths want to kill, and wreck havoc, for its own sake? Are there really people like the joker in the world? Do we really have to get as bad as they are to stop them from hurting us? Can they be stopped? My daughter has had nightmares every night for a week. My recommendation is that parents exercise a higher level of caution than usual when considering this movie.
Adult Written byjeddsdad April 9, 2008

Intense experience

The Dark Knight went beyond the typical comic book film. It was an Intense experience that took me as the viewer through an wide range of emotions and engaged my brain. While I loved the movie, I came out of the showing needing time to process everything that was thrown at me over the last 2 1/2 hours. This film is definitely not for children. The viewer needs to be able to handle the emotion and reality that is put in front of them. While the violence happens quickly some actions are still shocking. All-in-all, still an excellent film.
Adult Written bysaneone April 9, 2008

Sick and disturbing violence.

I do not understand anyone letting their children under the age 17 watch this senselessly violent and dementedly sadistic movie. It says much about today's society and the caliber of the masses....
Parent of a 17 year old Written bymikeabc123 October 12, 2009

JOKER

my son wants to be the joker
Parent of a 8 and 13 year old Written byJonathan wood April 5, 2014

Fantastic batman film

Parents should know that this film is very dark and could upset some viewers however at 12 they have seen allot worse and the violence is not that strong.
Adult Written bydavyborn July 18, 2012

Disturbing, powerful and brutal, The Dark Knight is one powerhouse of a movie

Christopher Nolans second film in his batman trilogy, The Dark Knight, is easilly better (So far, considering the fact that the Dark Knight Rses won't be released into theatres for another two days, yet) than the still solid and ejoyable Batman Begins. But, The Dark Knight makes everything that happens in the rival Marvel Comics movies looking quaint, childish and, dare I say it, deathly boring. The Dark Knight has so many memorably disturbing moments, so many extremely memorable performances (the highlight being the late Heath Ledger), and so many powerful action sequences and most importantly, a seemingly unending supply of clever, smart and well-written narrative notions that make The Dark Knight a bold stand-out from nearly every other superhero film out there today. This film is more of a solid action film, than a superhero film, but nobody should ever think for a second that it doesn't deliver grandly in both scale and power. The performances are all stepped-up this time around, with of course, the always mentioned, late Heath Ledger as the joker in the defining, and, sadly the second last performance of his career. But, in all honesty, this really should hve been his last, because, even though his death was obviously awful and that a great actor was cut short just at the time when he was finally becoming a big sensation, his unforgettable performance s the horrific joker would have made the perfect swan song, which it is often thought of as, as well. Now, even though this movie is only Rated PG-13, every parent should be completely aware that this is probably one of the strongest PG-13 Rated films ever released, and that they should also take some caution when allowing there young chldren do watch this movie, even if they are bg Batman fans, they may not be able to handle some of the content here, but, without furhter ado, here we go: The Dark Knight has nearly non-stop amount of intense violence and mayhem, which coincides with the Jokers brutal and extraordinarily disturbing personality, which includes torture, mutliple bombings and murders, a character having a bomb sewed into his stomach only to have it explode in a police sation filled with other fellow inmates and police officers, and, of course, a main character who is horribly bruned facially, and has a truly gruesome appearance that could very easilly give young children nightmares. Also, there is infrequent but moderate profanity, including several uses each of b-tch, sh-t, g-dd-mn, b-lls and h-ll. The Dark Knight isn't just one of the best superhero movies ever made, it could very well be even one of the best aciton films ever made, which is sure to entertain us long after The Dark Knight Rises is released, but, until that films release in two days, which I have most recently purchased early tickets for, my anticipation for The Dark Knight Rises only contnues to reach a level of near insanity.
Adult Written byOlderThanMyAge January 4, 2012

Best movie of 2008

I went into this movie with high expectations, after loving "Batman Begins". Needless to say, even my highest hopes were completely blown away. "The Dark Knight" is quite possibly the best superhero film of all time. It is the darkest, grittiest, most realistic Batman film yet. Gone are the days of 1960's camp, when the most horrendous of Joker's crimes is merely stealing from a museum. "The Dark Knight" raises many questions about good and evil, light and dark. Batman isn't a superhuman force of nature anymore--he's just a conflicted man trying to save Gotham, the city he loves. There has been much hype placed on the Joker (Heath Ledger) and let me say, his performance is nothing short of incredible. If you've ever seen any of his other movies, prepare to scratch your head and say "is this really him?" His tragic passing will leave a mark on the world forever. Though the movie is very serious and mature, older tweens will be able to grasp at least rudimentary concepts from it. Those who say it should be rated R or restricted to those 17 and over are just being foolish. The average story on the news is worse than the violence in TDK. In short, this is a spectacular movie. Recommended for anyone.
Adult Written byMentoring Mom April 9, 2008

Discuss this movie with your children or don't go!

If you are going to take your kid to this movie, be sure and discuss it afterward. What parts were confusing? What is the point the author was trying to make? I get scared when I read the kids' reviews of this movie. They were apparently blown away by the special effects and the (mostly implied) violence, but do they understand the sacrifices Batman has to make? Is vigilantism okay? Why does the Joker behave as he does? Is he a sympathetic character? Why or why not? What causes Harvey Dent to change so dramatically? If you won't talk about these things afterward, don't take your kids, because you won't know what aspects of the film they'll take away with them. The psychological violence in the movie is far worse than the physical violence, and for that reason it does deserve a LOT more thought on the part of the parents than other violent PG-13 films. "Scary and dark" doesn't begin to cover it. I loved it by the way, as did my kids. Heath Ledger deserves an Academy Award, and I hope he gets it. Excellent screenplay, too.
Educator and Parent of a 1, 2, 4, 6, and 14 year old Written bySuperherofan May 10, 2014
Great movie but the joker is to Scary for kids under 10.
Parent Written bythenoah December 20, 2012

The Best Movie Ever Made

Yes, this movie is disturbing and violence. There are also possitive messages and role models. I would let my kid 12 and up watch, and they will definitely enjoy this remarkable superhero landmark. Joker rules!!!
Parent Written byRobbyWBoy16 January 3, 2012

Batman: The Dark Knight

batman bloody AND scary joker but fun action!
Adult Written bymasterofthemovies July 13, 2010
Parent of a 5, 9, 11, and 14 year old Written byJamesRobertson January 4, 2009
Adult Written bySinkingFast February 9, 2011

Great for fans of Batman, young and old

Some imagery may be too dark for younger viewers, such as Harvey Dent's burns, a graphic knife wound/corpse in the unrated version, or innocents being killed. But anyone who is a fan of Batman will enjoy the action in this movie. The only reason I don't rate it below 12+ is because I find the more adult nature and themes struggling with morality may bore younger viewers between the bouts of action or main story progression. It deals with something Batman has always had to struggle with. He, as a rule, does not kill, as his parents were murdered. Even though he knows if he crosses that line to kill, and stop, the Joker, he cannot go back. He displays the characteristics of a noble hero, a good role model, in choosing to not kill another human being. We do see Batman struggle with other moral choices, however, such as the questionable act of spying on every citizen in Gotham. As well as a selfish act which causes him to lose someone dear to him. It is a harsh lesson for Batman but it helps him to then act selflessly, something displayed in the movie's final scenes. We also see the good in other human beings, how ordinary citizens can make a heroic choice, in a specific scene in which the Joker tries to prove that anyone can be a bad guy given the proper circumstances. Alcohol consumption is minimal, as is product placement. Our heroes are clear cut as are our villains. There are bikini clad girls at one point, implications of making out, and a passionate kiss between Bruce and Rachel. There is no nudity or sex to be wary of. We see the transformation from Hero to Villain in a certain character and how Batman is always walking the fine line between good and bad. The movie shows the hero, in all but one scene, acting selflessly, both in and out of costume. If your child is mature this movie can be seen by younger viewers who are fans of Batman.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byJakednich January 6, 2011
Parent of a 12 year old Written bykingmatt July 9, 2010

Kids 13 and up should be able to handle it. 12 year olds can too.

If your child is mature enough he/she will be able to handle it.
Parent Written by80sgreenblog August 12, 2011

Why soo serious?

Comic book turned adult crime drama. Outstanding piece of cinema that changed things....forever.
Adult Written byJune50 April 13, 2010

Great Movie

Great movie. It is dark, fairly violent and a little disturbing for a PG-13 film. Definately not for younger children.
Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written byachj39 April 9, 2008

Too violent for PG-13

As the parent of three boys ages 19, 11, and 9, this movie was looked forward to in our household. Unfortunately when my husband and I saw it to prescreen the movie before the kids, we found it to be far too violent and the plot too involved for our two youngest boys. I don't know how much more violent it could have been to earn an R rating! This movie was for too intense for any child under the age of 17. The Joker was evil through and through with graphic displays of violence like slamming a guys face onto a sharp pencil and graphically slashing several people to give them a "joker smile". Not a kid friendly batman.
Adult Written byOneVeryLongUsername January 30, 2015

"The Dark Knight" - Parental and Artistic Review.

Sexual Content: Bruce Wayne lives up to his pampered playboy rep. Groupies wear low-cut evening gowns, and ballet dancers wear bikinis when Wayne spirits away the entire Russian Ballet to his private yacht. We see a couple straightening their clothes when they're startled during a secret tryst. The Joker leers at Rachel—who is, incidentally, a former paramour of Bruce Wayne and current main squeeze of Harvey Dent. This love triangle adds a bit of sexual tension to the film, but only a bit. 2.9 out of 10. Violent/Gory Content: Harvey Dent loses half of his pretty face just as the action climaxes. What remains is a charred, horrific visage of sinew and bone: His left eye is lidless and the left side of his mouth is lipless, exposing the teeth beneath. We watch as the Joker impales a man's face with a pencil, as he burns a sky-high pyramid of cash with a financier imprisoned at the apex, as he shoots and stabs and burns his way through the movie. He plants a bomb in the stomach of one of his imprisoned henchmen, setting it off to escape from jail. He joyfully blows up a hospital, poisons a police officer, bazookas a police vehicle and guns down his own henchmen. Forget the big bangs, though. This Joker's weapon of choice is the knife: He carries several, one of which he sticks in his victims' mouths as he tells them stories (all, apparently, lies) of how he got his own "smiling" scars before slicing their faces open. We never see him cut, but the stories—the brutal, mesmerizing stories—are enough. They are more than enough. 7.9 out of 10. Profanity: 1 incomplete "f" word and 3 "s" words, as well at least 6 "hells" (2 in subtitles), 3 "damns," 2 "asses," 1 "S.O.B.,"1 use of "bastard" and 1 use of "balls." Religious exclamations include at least: 3 uses of "Jesus" and 1 use each of "Goddamn," "God," "God-awful," "Oh, my God," "Sweet Jesus," "Oh, Jesus" and "Swear to God." 4 out of 10. Substance Use: Bruce's party guests drink champagne. Alfred offers Harvey a glass, calling it "liquid courage." A cop sips a drink in a bar. Whiskey is downed. 3.2 out of 10. Conclusion: "The Dark Knight" is one of Christopher Nolan's many masterpieces. It has an amazing story, fantastic performances, a great script and brilliant visual effects. I highly recommend this masterpiece of a film and I give it 8.8 out of 10.