All parent member reviews for The Dark Knight

Adult Written bypzacle@gmail.com April 9, 2008

How do you explain a psychopath to a kid?

The questions I've received from my mature 12 year old since the movie: Why do psychopaths want to kill, and wreck havoc, for its own sake? Are there really people like the joker in the world? Do we really have to get as bad as they are to stop them from hurting us? Can they be stopped? My daughter has had nightmares every night for a week. My recommendation is that parents exercise a higher level of caution than usual when considering this movie.
Adult Written byjeddsdad April 9, 2008

Intense experience

The Dark Knight went beyond the typical comic book film. It was an Intense experience that took me as the viewer through an wide range of emotions and engaged my brain. While I loved the movie, I came out of the showing needing time to process everything that was thrown at me over the last 2 1/2 hours. This film is definitely not for children. The viewer needs to be able to handle the emotion and reality that is put in front of them. While the violence happens quickly some actions are still shocking. All-in-all, still an excellent film.
Adult Written bysaneone April 9, 2008

Sick and disturbing violence.

I do not understand anyone letting their children under the age 17 watch this senselessly violent and dementedly sadistic movie. It says much about today's society and the caliber of the masses....
Parent of a 17 year old Written bymikeabc123 October 12, 2009

JOKER

my son wants to be the joker
Parent of a 11 year old Written byJakednich January 6, 2011

Adult Written byMovieMan26 October 15, 2010

Not only the best superhero movie of all time, but also one of the best movies of all time

I can only put this in one word: WOW. It's hard to describe my feelings for this movie, but make no mistake, all of them are the most positivie possible. Let's start with the acting: phenonomal and Oscar-worthy, especially Heath Ledger, who was magnificent as the Joker. Everyone else did a great job too, but the Joker was the true interest in the movie. Next up, the story, compelling and original, no doubt. The action was fantastic; fast, exciting, and explosive, and there's plenty to go around in the two and a half hour run time. And speaking of it's length, it really is a long movie, but that's the beauty of it: evewn if, during the movie, you wonder when it will be over, once it actually is, you won't want it to stop (or, at least I didn't). Parents: There's a lot of intense violence and scary characters, especially the Joker; he's manical and twisted, and he likes it. Plenty of people die and almost every character (major or minor) is in extreme peril at some point. Bottom Line: An absolute must-see if you haven't already and a must-re-watch if you already have. I really love this movie; it's great. But, rembember, not everyone may like this movie. So, just give it a try, and then decide for yourself. Thanks for reading! - Movie Man
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written bydadofmace October 16, 2009

Whether you like comic books or not, this is a classic.

This is the master of all comic book stories. But the depth of the subtext in this movie is well above a pre-teen's head. Heck, most of the time, I was depressed myself. Obviously very violent. On the good note, there are some people in this movie who urge you to believe in the fact that people will choose good more often than not. A good message. Do not show this movie in its entirety to kids under 10. Its scary, the villian can't be understood, and there is some real sense of dread in here.
Adult Written bydavis4 April 9, 2008

pretty violent

whew, i'm so glad i didn't bring my 8 and 10 yr old kids to this even though they are dying to see it!! they would not have slept for weeks! very scary and very, very violent. in my opinion they should save this stuff for die hard and make batman ok for kids
Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written byachj39 April 9, 2008

Too violent for PG-13

As the parent of three boys ages 19, 11, and 9, this movie was looked forward to in our household. Unfortunately when my husband and I saw it to prescreen the movie before the kids, we found it to be far too violent and the plot too involved for our two youngest boys. I don't know how much more violent it could have been to earn an R rating! This movie was for too intense for any child under the age of 17. The Joker was evil through and through with graphic displays of violence like slamming a guys face onto a sharp pencil and graphically slashing several people to give them a "joker smile". Not a kid friendly batman.
Adult Written byGoing Gadget April 24, 2011

The Best Batman Movie

Great movie, I love it..., I love Christian Bale, I think he is the best Batman ever, his voice is so Batman.
Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written byCommon critic January 7, 2011

A good movie with a good message

Batman once again poses as a good role model no matter what his actions are.I think it has a good message about protecting people.
Adult Written bysarahkay89 November 6, 2010

Exciting movie. Good for adults, maybe teens, not children

*Pretty violent / dark movie (no pun intended). *The Joker was immortalized because of Heath Ledger's death, but his character isn't exactly a positive role model. *I said 14+ could see it, but I really don't think I could have handled in at that age. But kids these days are used to more violence.
Adult Written bymasterofthemovies July 13, 2010

Adult Written byMovie Man August 7, 2009

Quite Possibly the Best Film I've Ever Seen.

Every once in a while, certain movies come along that blow our minds. Then in even rarer situations, some movies come along that make us want to watch it again and again. Then something else happens, something completely new and utterly rare; one of a kind. A movie is released; but not just any movie; movies like this have a name: masterpiece. This is without a doubt one of the best films I've ever seen. It made me thank God for a mastepiece such as this. Christopher Nolan, thank you. To the cast, thank you. This film is fantastic; no, it's unbelievalby masterful; no, in fact, there are no words that could remotely describe or even make you fathom how possibly awe-inspiring this film is. You cannot even compare other movies to this film. It's unfair. Every film will lose. Parents: Although this film is undescribeably fantastically amazing, it is quiote violent. Heath Ledger's the Joker (although the best preformance I've seen in the last decade) is enormously scary, especially his tales of how he got his scars. Two-Face isn't much different; he has a possibly even scarier face, but less horrific stories to tell. There is a lot of action inclding a huge chase scene through undergorund tunnels. There are also some very emotional deaths of major characters we've come to love. Parents, also watch out for "magic trick," although it is a brilliant move, it will highly disturb kids under at least 11, but I still say 15+. Overall, if you haven't seen this film, do so. You won';t regret it. In fact, you'll probably thank me for recommending it (not to sound like a schmuck). I also heard that Christopher Nolan was making a third one; but I don't think it can be as good as this masterpiece of cinema. Not that I doubt Nolan's potential (especially not after this film), but I doubt that there can be better film making than this; and if there is, and if Nolan can make a better film than this... oh man! I can;t even begin to think of a film more well-made, more excellent than this! Now that, ladies and gentlemen, blows my mind!
Adult Written byMentoring Mom April 9, 2008

Discuss this movie with your children or don't go!

If you are going to take your kid to this movie, be sure and discuss it afterward. What parts were confusing? What is the point the author was trying to make? I get scared when I read the kids' reviews of this movie. They were apparently blown away by the special effects and the (mostly implied) violence, but do they understand the sacrifices Batman has to make? Is vigilantism okay? Why does the Joker behave as he does? Is he a sympathetic character? Why or why not? What causes Harvey Dent to change so dramatically? If you won't talk about these things afterward, don't take your kids, because you won't know what aspects of the film they'll take away with them. The psychological violence in the movie is far worse than the physical violence, and for that reason it does deserve a LOT more thought on the part of the parents than other violent PG-13 films. "Scary and dark" doesn't begin to cover it. I loved it by the way, as did my kids. Heath Ledger deserves an Academy Award, and I hope he gets it. Excellent screenplay, too.
Adult Written bystacymavros April 9, 2008

VERY dark, more for adults but really well done.

Parents be cautioned...this is more for older teens. Subject content gets progressively more dark as movie unfolds. Heath Ledger was nothing less than BRILLIANT--down to every last creepy detail. The Joker is a sick, twisted murderer with a comical line tossed in here & there--great for us adults, not for kids. Ledger should receive numerous awards for his performance...so sad he won't be here to see how well appreciated this role is. The special effects and action sequences were AMAZING! What a ride! Two-Face's two faces were so realistic they made me cringe...perfect make-up effects. I highly recommend this movie for any adult who likes a visually stimulating, well written blockbuster.
Adult Written bygarfield2711 April 9, 2008

If I could sum it up in one word: AWESOME!

THis movie is awesome. This movie isn't for kids. The violence makes this the most violent, scary and darkest batman movie. And this movie is also quite creepy. Don't take anyone below the age of 11. I recomend taking them at 14. Sexual Content: 2 kisses. Bruce walks in a couple who obviusly just made love. (They are fully dressed and standing up) Violent Content: The movie starts out with a bank robbery where all bank robbers except one are shot (by the Joker). The Joker slams a guys head onto a vertically standing pencil (not graphiclly shown) eraser up. Guys bring in a supposedly dead Joker but suddenly jumps a guy and slashes his cheek, killing him (off-screen but heard.) The Joker kills people for no reason. It is believed for some time that a charecter died and a charecter does die. The Joker puts a bomb on two ships and puts the detonator on the opposite ship as a test. If neither of them blow up the other ship he will blow up both of them at midnight. Harvey Dent has half of his face burnt comepletly off. To see what he looks like google Two-Face. The final scene is full of emotional intensity. Language: Hell:4 J-sus: 1 or 2 Drugs: Social Drinking If you're older go see this movie. You won't regret it.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byedklat June 11, 2015

Adult Written byLowe's man May 27, 2015

Not as good as old school, but decent. Better than current superhero movies tend to be.

Although the level and type of violence was stronger than you'd expect in an old school movie about Batman (or any superhero), it didn't go to the extreme of the 2012 sequel. Iffy for young teens, fine for older teens. Bruce Wayne knew talent when he saw it. That is why he helped district attorney Harvey Dent, not knowing how he'd turn out. He also wanted to shed Batman's darker side and show his better side- though The Joker makes this effort very difficult. Not only was Christopher Nolan passionate about the movie and the history of Batman, but Christian Bale and Heath Ledger were very much into their roles.
Educator and Parent of a 1, 2, 4, 6, and 14 year old Written bySuperherofan May 10, 2014

Great movie but the joker is to Scary for kids under 10.