Kid reviews for The Darkest Minds

Skilled actors can't save derivative, violent YA thriller.

Teen, 14 years old Written byraquelandonie04 August 3, 2018

Great Movie (I'm obsessed)

This movie is incredible!! It's about how children start dying and the 2% precentt that survived changed and had powers. Ruby is an orange (wich is the weirdest, most powerfull and supposly most dangerous kind of all), when she was 10 she accidentaly erased herself from her parents memories. She was brought to the camp were she compelled the doctor to change her to a green (because oranges and reds are killed in the camp). 6 years later... Ruby is rescued from the camp by her doctor (who is part of "The League") but at one of the stops they make Ruby discovers that they aren't as nice and safe as they seem. While she was changing she saw a little girl and went after her. The little girl hid her in a van were she met her new friends, Zu (the little girl), Chus an the handsome Liam.

Teen, 14 years old Written bygamergrl13 August 4, 2018

I Loved It! *SPOILERS*

I don't understand the bad reviews, it was a really good movie. Sad ending too with a cliffhanger, Ruby and Liam were so cute together and she erased herself from his memories. It almost made me cry at the end and that's saying something because I have never cried over a movie. I'm not a big fan of romance but wow it was good! I NEED A SEQUEL. I'm thinking about reading the books. Anyway, I found it to have a good story and has characters that I grew to love. The acting was amazing. I do have to say though the actual villain in the movie is introduced within the last... 30 minutes of the movie? It kind of felt forced. There was a little swearing here and there, and there wasn't too much violence. It had positive messages, such as to protect those you love, teamwork, not giving up, don't be ashamed in who you are, and courage.

Teen, 15 years old Written byAfeena August 5, 2018
This movie was amazing!!!!!!!
Teen, 17 years old Written byDisneymovielover7777 August 19, 2018

Awesome movie! LOVED it!

Harry Potter is the most successful Young Adult franchise to this day with another series about Newt Scamander’s Adventures on the big screen. The Hunger Games started the Dystopian era in Hollywood, where movie studios were looking for Young Adult Dystopian novels to adapt to the big screen. Pretty much all of the Hunger Games movies grossed $1 billion dollars worldwide. After the Hunger Games there was Divergent and The Maze Runner series, as well as my favorite dystopian novel The Giver was also adapted into a movie the same year that the first Maze Runner hit the big screen. The Darkest Minds definitely fits in with Young Adult sci-fi novels as well as Young Adult dystopian thrillers such as Marie Lu’s Legend and Ayn Rand’s classic novel Anthem. I did a double feature one day this month at the movies, since where I lived it was over 100 degrees outside, I decided to go see 2 movies. The Darkest Minds first then Disney’s remake of Winnie The Pooh called Christopher Robin. I LOVED The Darkest Minds when I saw this movie, that I saw it 3 times at the theater, it’s that good. The Darkest Minds revolves around Ruby. In her life, there were kids that were getting sick and dying. However, those that survived the sickness get powers based on the color that their eyes turn when their powers start. Greens are intelligence, blues are telepathic, yellows have powers surrounding electricity, reds have abilities surrounding fire, but the rarest of them is orange meaning mind control. Ruby’s power is mind control, and the way the story unfolds is very touching in numerous parts. Such as the scene when the main characters gather supplies at a mall, or when Ruby and Charles (Chubs) find the frequency of a place that the main characters wanted to go to. There were also 4 funny scenes, 1 occurred close to the end of the movie. I enjoyed this one WAY WAY more than Mile 22. Profanity- a-hole, The s word is used 4 times Violence- 6.5/10 The violence in this movie is mild compared to Avengers Infinity War, it’s about on the same level as Ant Man and the Wasp and the Spider-Man movies. None of the action scenes in this one have a lot of blood, the main characters are however in peril throughout the movie. There’s a scene towards the end with a lot of fire, and a lot of characters in peril. Thankfully the violence is handled in a PG-13 way and not in an overly violent disturbing way. Sexual content- There’s one part in the movie when Ruby is almost raped by a character, she says, “no, stop,” and slaps the guy, and left. There’s also mild flirting between 2 characters, and one kiss scene towards the end of the movie. Positive Role Models- The main characters risk their lives for each other throughout the scenes when the characters are in peril. Ruby is also a great role model for girls as well as the character Zu. Positive Themes- Yes, The main theme I took from this is the characters relying on their inner strengths to survive as well as a message of empathy and loving each other, especially those of us that are different than us. I think that this movie is okay for preteens that are 11 years old, because at that age, they’ve seen a lot of superhero movies, and The Darkest Minds is probably too intense for those under 11.

Teen, 16 years old Written byHannah_ August 4, 2018

A really good movie!!!

It really shouldn’t be for 13 and up. It has positive messages and has some good role models! The company that gives ratings doesn’t understand the we can handle a lot more and are more mutator than they think. I went to go see the movie with a few friends and we all enjoyed it. We all where in agreement that it should be fine for 11 and up to see it!

Teen, 16 years old Written byAlondraflores August 4, 2018

Amazing!

I watched this movie today and tbh I don’t understand why the rating is so low! This movie is amazing and definitely deserves more stars! If you ever watch the movie make and actually like it make sure to leave a good rating so they are able to make a 2nd one

Teen, 14 years old Written byMol842 August 6, 2018

Better than I expected!

I was a little sceptical of this film after the reviews it got but I decided to give it a go since I usually enjoy movies of this genre. It turns out I absolutely loved it! Regardless of what people said, i thought that it was quite a unique film, it has the generic YA rebellion themes but it was worked into a way that was really creative and enjoyable to watch! I’m not a big reader but after this I got the book and loved it too! I’m hopefully going to complete the series soon. Altogether I thought it was a lovely, positive film that really doesn’t deserve the horrible reviews it’s seeming to attract! Go see this film, I’d recommend it to anyone who liked the hunger games or any YA in general!

Teen, 13 years old Written bybrookeh375 August 17, 2018
It was funny, action packed, and had a little bit of romance which made it a five star movie. Highly recommend.
Teen, 15 years old Written bywhydoeseveryone... August 12, 2018

Amazing movie!!

This movie is absolutely amazing. From the reviews I'd seen prior, I expected so much less, but it completely blew me away. The movie was somewhat predictable and while it wasn't completely true to the book, I enjoyed it. I am not a big reader but after seeing this I read the entire series! I would recommend this to people who enjoyed other YA films such as the hunger games or anyone looking for a fun, happy film to watch!

Teen, 13 years old Written byRoxy_Robinson August 13, 2018

Darkest Minds Movie

Okay this movie was straight up amazing I recommend it to people who love comedy/climatic/action/mysetry/drama movies! It did have a bit of language but overall it was the best movie I saw this whole year!

Teen, 13 years old Written byreadingwatching24-7 August 12, 2018

Intense, Heartbreaking, Thrilling, and VERY Thought Provoking.

I will try my best not to spoil, but I cannot express my love for this movie. It was so good and followed the book pretty well, the critics missed another great movie. The ending was just so bittersweet, and my mind was trying to decide between crying and smiling. I really recommend this movie, and will be purchasing it on Blu-Ray. I REALLY, REALLY hope there will be a sequel (Even though I will still read the rest of the book series), but I don't think there will due to money and such. But I am still crossing my fingers just in case, because I love the characters and actors so much I just need to see what happens, the ending does leave the story very open too. The book is also fantastic! And the fourth book, The Darkest Legacy just came out. All of the music is in this film is also fun, but the song the movie ends with makes me cry every single time I listen just because I remember how sad and bittersweet the ending was. Here is the list of music and the artists. Revolution- RUELLE I Wear Glasses- MATING RITUAL Hurt Somebody- NOAH KAHAN, JULIA MICHAELS Loud Places- JAMIE XX Miracles- OF VERONICA Find Me- SIGMA, BIRDY

Teen, 14 years old Written byEmma.hadfield August 7, 2018

Loved it

This movie has some bad rating and/or reviews but I absolutely loved it! I thought it had good messages and great characters! I would definitely recommend it.

Teen, 14 years old Written byStar kid August 6, 2018

Amazing!

I don’t care if any of the critics say that this movie is bad... It was amazing! I would recommend reading the book series before watching the film. However, even if you don’t you should be able to catch on. I went to watch this movie with my mom (who hasn’t yet read the series) and we both loved it. Now she will go and read the series:)
Teen, 15 years old Written byIssaa August 4, 2018

Its Amazing

This movie will make you feel something, happy, angry, and sad. It shows the struggles the kids have to go through and how their going to face it, beat it. No matter what this movie is FANTASTIC!!!!

Teen, 13 years old Written bySilverCelloTween August 4, 2018

Good Acting, Mediocre Script. Not as Good as the Books

I really was excited for this movie, as the books were quite spectacular. Unfortunately, the movie, although well cast, wasn't as good. There were a few laughs, but the bonding of the runaway kids (Ruby, Zu, Chubs, and Liam) was quite along the norm of how anyone would expect. I'm not one of those people that obsesses over the romance in movies, but even I thought the Ruby/Liam thing was kind of weak. But, the story does keep you hooked and you feel the family love, fear, joy, and everything else that the characters feel. There were a few cusses, mostly for comic relief. At one point, a smaller character we thought was helping Ruby pushed her down on a bed and tried to kiss her, but she is disgusted, kicks him, and leaves fast. And, the movie is based on a dystopian novel, where kids are carted off to basically prison camps. May be scary to kids. For that, I think this movie is more for teens or mature tweens. It's really up to how much your kids are ok with some violence and dystopian themes. As I left the theatre with my family, we definitly had a lot to discuss about the movie, with themes such as betrayal, leadership, and sacrifice. Overall, worth it for fans of the book. But if you want the full Darkest Minds experience, read the books.

Teen, 14 years old Written bykejjj August 6, 2018

trying too hard to fit a 500 page book into a 100 minute movie

some of the scenes don’t make alot of sense if you didn’t read the book. i feel like the realationships in the movie feel awkward and forced. they left out many parts of the story that i feel gave the characters more personality. i was very excited to watch this movie but was very disappointed after seeing it.

Kid, 10 years old August 4, 2018

Very Very Very Violent

Read the title.

Teen, 13 years old Written byAnnabeth1 August 19, 2018

Darkest minds :best movie

It 's the best movie.
Teen, 16 years old Written byJasmine_Flindell00 August 19, 2018

I Loved this movie!!

This movie was so good! Ohh my goodness if they don’t make a sequel I’m going to cry. This movie definitely deserves more credit then what it’s getting. I’m really hoping for, and encouraging, people to go see it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMadison Litz August 17, 2018