All parent member reviews for The Descendants

Adult Written bymoviemadness November 26, 2011

This Heavy, Dark Thinking Film is Great -for adults

The Descendants is a great movie that walks the tenuous balance between happiness and darkness and treats its delicate subject matter rawly. You will see each character with their greatness and failures plaid out in broad detain against the backdrop of gorgeous Hawaiian vistas. Truly this is a spectacular movie with fantastic acting, humor, sadness, and forgiveness. Not a movie for children.
Parent of a 8 and 12 year old Written byLara Liliby December 30, 2011

Subtle, oddly funny movie for older teens

Nuanced performances and frank family discussions make this a good choice for more mature teens. There is much swearing and discussions of infidelity and marriage troubles. Also there is clear reference to the privileges of money and power. The locale of Hawaii is almost like a supporting star, and really captures what I have seen of it. Surprising moments appear like quiet gems every once in awhile to move the story along, but for the most part they are natural and do not seem contrived. The film stayed with me, especially the work of Shailene Woodley and George Clooney. If you liked Up in the Air you will like this movie.
Parent of an infant, 2, 5, and 10 year old Written byAG Fan Parent February 23, 2013

Amazing, no higher then PG-13!

Wow. I cannot have enough praise for this lovely, beautifully done, overall amazing movie. I love George Clooney, so me and my husband saw this in theaters days after its release. I couldn't believe how well-acted, magically crafted this movie could be. While the main issue is enough to make anyone nervous (man's wife is dying, and then he finds out she's cheating..... I get it, it sound like the absolute R), the jist of it is a remarkable PG-13 movie with a bit added swearing. Sure, sex is mentioned, but not a lot, and it's never done in any way at all. The messages in this movie are also amazing: (where do I start?) Matt, George's character, somehow manages to live through the cheating with his wife's death, and he even tells the guy she was cheating with to come see her because he thinks she would have wanted it. Shailene Woodley's character drinks, but only at the beginning, she soon shapes to be a very mature teenage girl who is an excellent mother-figure to 10-year-old Scottie, her sister. There are just so many great messages about coping through things and living beyond troubles, even when you want to hate someone. Scottie was mostly a comic relief, but she did a great job at that at was a fairly realistic fourth/fifth grade girl. I honestly love this movie so much I showed it my 9-year-old daughter, who mildly enjoyed it. She's allowed to see PG-13 movies, and this was not a step up from those. The swearing's bad, but everything else is fine for any kid over 10 or 11 who's seen a PG-13 movie. If you're not sure about this one, watch it first, as it's one different parents may read different ways. I, however, am in love.
Adult Written bywonder dove May 22, 2012

Hmmm...

It was slow and predictable, but a good watch overall. Clooney is excellent as usual. The story was definitely sad but I kind of found the kids to be unlikable in this. Lots of strong language, including by a teenage girl which was a little disturbing. However, I loved how it was Hawaii themed, such gorgeous scenery. Acting was great and the actors chosen for the film was perfect. I would not watch again but it's definitely worth a look.
Adult Written byfreehope. March 20, 2012

Great movie- language/themes are a bit old

I thought it was great; excellent performances by Shailene and Clooney. They played off each other well. Its very genuine and raw; it was very real. It really showed what real families are like without pulling punches; it was refreshing. There is extensive swearing and unclear messages regarding drugs/alcohol. For the most part young kids just wouldn't get the film and would be bored. Its a great story about grief and how to deal with losing a loved one who wasn't perfect, how you reconcile past angers at that person with your love for them.
Parent Written byDie-Hard Movie Fan January 29, 2012

DON'T BOTHER

Very weak story line, lots of smart-alecky teen and child remarks. Plot not believable. Only reason to see it is to see beautiful Hawaiian landscapes, flowers, and ocean scenes. Otherwise, steer clear as it's a snoozer.
Parent Written bymmsmart January 5, 2012

Topics rich for family reflection & discussion

Great! A family pulls closer through a tragic event- something special and good evolves out of a dysfunctional lifestyle. The tragedy seems like a corrective force that positively effects the lives of several families.