Parent reviews for The Diary of Anne Frank (2009)

The Diary of Anne Frank (2009) Poster Image

The immaturity level of my classroom is just dashing. (I am 14 years old btw)

To start off, it's very informative for young viewers. But let me put that aside. When we were watching this in class, it got VERY uncomfortable. She takes her sister's bra and stuffs it with cotton balls. Being a girl I couldn't help but notice the boys in my class, giggling away. Oh and it gets worse. She goes to her sister and straight up asks her "Margot, how old were you when you got your period?". Her sister was very confused as was I. OH and you haven't even read the best part. She has a sleepover with her friend and says something along the lines of "I really want to grow up, and I wish I had breasts of my own". Just by reading that it probably made you cringe in your seat but then she goes on to say "I've never felt them, can I touch yours?" And she reaches in when her friend says "HELL NO" or something like that. Can you imagine what I felt watching and listening to that! With immature boys who can't deal with those things? And I don't know how my teacher even let us watch that! Anyways that is what I thought about it. P.S that is only half of it, because I haven't watched the other half yet XP

Students WILL understand

I can see why some teachers/parents might be reluctant to show the elements of the Holocaust, WWII, Hitler, etc. to young students, but I do not think we should shield their eyes from HISTORY and allow them to process and think for themselves. I am always astounded by the responses of my students when we analyze what happened with Anne Frank, and it really puts into perspective the value of life. I say every middle school student MUST watch.

Every tween should understand this movie

The Holocaust is part of our family history and for a 5th grade project my son recently interviewed his grandfather about immigrating to the US in the 1940's from Germany. We felt it was time that he understood a little more about the family history. The movie upset him pretty deeply, but then it is an upsetting story. I suggest parents discuss the movie/book with their kids to be sure something like this never happens again.
I love this movie. Thank you for making it. it really touched me. To know that a girl my aGe went through all of that. Its sad. But the movie was really good. Your rating from a 0 to 10 it would be a 8.. :)

Good for preteens

Anne frank is a good role model, she has her flaws as any kid would have in such a stressful situation as the one presented here, but it shows the willingness of people to survive together and look forward to the future. What's good about this movie is that it has enough for an adult to stay interested, but spares children the details of the holocaust, which would not only effect them but confuse them. The movie also addresses Anne's relationship with Peter, in a very subtle way.

Great movie for everyone

It's a great movie and educational at the same time. If you are teacher teaching a WW II unit, this is a great movie to show