Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby

Mature drama examines a marriage, warts and all.

Based on 1 review

No reviews yetAdd your rating
Adult Written byB-KMastah October 12, 2014

Mature, sympathetic, and realistic.

There will be some detractors that will call this a gimmick project. This film ("Them") is a objective take following both people within a relationship, which will very soon be followed by "Him" and "Her," with those two recounting the same story told here but from each character's respective point of view. And even if it is a gimmick film, it's a well made one that makes me interested in the other two movies soon to be released. It works because it doesn't just say that it's an objective take on a situation, but it is. Some story arcs may feel more interesting than others, but it's because different characters are going through different situations. It's truthful and touching, definitely helped by Jessica Chastain's Oscar-worthy performance here. It definitely tested my patience at times, but I was invested in the characters and enjoyed the somewhat nonlinear narrative structure. The ending is terrific. If they had gotten rid of some bits that were more familiar than others, the pacing would have helped as this totally could have been less than 119 minutes. James McAvoy's American accent seems to shift a bit in some scenes. I'm interested in the Him and Her sides of this story, and the fact that I want to spend another two movies is pretty impressive in itself. 8/10, really good, one thumb up, above average, etc.