All parent member reviews for The Dog Who Saved Christmas

Parent Written byGood Taste November 9, 2013

Don't waste your time

Please do not give this film your time as it is appaulingly bad. Terrible acting. Awful story and the supposed actors even refer to the older dog as a he (Zeus) when she is clearly a female. This sort of time and money wasting can only be sumed up as sad and should clearly not be seen by anyone.
Parent Written byConcernedParent425 December 9, 2011

Worst holiday movie ever

This movie is horrible on so many levels it is difficult to know where to begin. While the acting is painfully bad to witness, the only blessing is that young children won't notice this aspect of it. The main reason I signed in to post this review is over its completely inappropriate threat of use of violence on the dog in the movie. At one point the dog is tied up and muzzled, after which one of the movie characters threatens the dog with serious violent physical harm with a golf club. This is not done in jest, and is reason alone this movie should be burned, banned and shredded for landfill lest children witness it. As a lighter example, in another scene the grandmother is moved by pulling her by her hair. The movie has absolutely no sense of propriety in depicting how people should treat one another or animals. The 'toilet humor' is another negative but not nearly as great of concern as the threats of violence depicted in this horrible movie. For parents, the rest of the time viewing the movie will be in complete terror lest the holiday season be ruined forever by a careless line or scene. When I first put the movie on I thought my child could watch it alone without a parent. I admit for the benefit of others who might read this review that letting a child watch this movie alone is one of the worst acts of parenting imaginable. Please be a good parent and guard your children from this movie. If you have already purchased it but not seen it yet please save the holiday season in your house and throw it away right now.
Adult Written bytankertough2 December 14, 2009

Nice message BUT HORRIBLE MOVIE

This has to be one of THE WORST movies EVER MADE. True, it has a nice story behind it but I wouldn't put my kids through this joke if you paid me. The acting is BAD, the production is even worse. Laughable in fact. There are a thousand better Christmas movie out there this time of year to watch instead. This movie was so bad I had to sign up on this site just to try and save people the headache! The ONLY reason to watch this is to laugh at how truly horrible the movie is. I've seen after-school specials that were 10 times as good as this was.
Adult Written byhdofu December 8, 2009

More like ruined it

Once in awhile a movie comes along that makes you feel the magic of the holidays. A warm touching happy movie, or perhaps a laugh out loud satire that reminds you it's Christmas. This movie is neither. The story is of Zeus (why they chose that name for a dog is beyond me, as Zeus in greek mythology, the god of thunder was known for doing it with anything female.) who is in the pound because barking while being a police dog he screwed up an operation so he no longer will bark. Meanwhile, George Banister (remember him as Danny Heffernan on King of Queens? Believe it or not he was more lovable there), some guy who seems to be beginning a mid life crisis decides to get a dog (since he had his dog taken as a child so he feels a need to get one) to help prevent a burglary in the house while his wife would prefer an alarm and a cat to deal with the mice (who were voiced by obnoxious sounding children). His 2 children (who act like they have been lobotomized) couldn't be more thrilled with the dog (at least as far as I could tell by there acting in that movie). Meanwhile Ted Stein (Dean Kain, what happened man? You are so better then this kind of thing) and his partner whose name I forget (I think the guy was on the Sopranos) play the role of the burglars who graduated from the "Marv and Harry school of robbery" (albeit with all c's in comic timing) who decide that the Banister home is just the house they need to rob. Despite being the near perfect dog, Zeus is forced to prove himself to the family as valuable or get sent back to the pound. So Zeus defends the house on Christmas (after partially tearing it apart) He even barks after getting persuasion from the cat lady (who was really a dog person til her dog attacked her and it had to be destroyed) and is able to defeat the criminals by breaking several laws of physics. The movie ends with the family coming back, the cops wanting Zeus for his capturing of the criminals but the family then decides they want to keep him. Writing The writing in this movie was just bad... seriously like Ben 10 season 1 bad, much like that I think this movie might have been minutely better muted. I mean the wife got a guy to test the dog for if he was capable of working as a a guard dog and yet they went away leaving the dog in the house, the house unprotected on christmas eve. Elisa Donovan deserves the award for "Ice Queen of the Year" for her role as Belinda Banister, a woman who would probably be Cruella De Vil if dog hair everywhere wasn't a turn off for her though she seems incaple of showing any strong emotion anyway, so I'm left wondering if a woman is lobotimized, would that get transfered to the children? Final thoughts on this movie, there are so many good family movies you can see for the holidays, A Charlie Brown Christmas, Rudolph the red nose Reindeer, The Santa Clause, The Grinch who stole Christmas, Several different flavors of A Christmas Carrol which are targeted at kids.... anyway my point is there are so many better movies then this film to watch with your kid. Unless you are a dog fan who just wants to look at a fairly cute, albeit fat, Yellow Labrador Retriever there is no good reason to watch this film.
Parent of a 14 year old Written bySonja2 December 4, 2009

All ages

Cute cute movie! Although it may scare very young kids as to the outcome, but of course it ends up good.
Adult Written byBestMovies December 2, 2009

Great movie for the whole family!

Loved it! Great movie for the whole family. Enjoyable and uplifting. A must watch and a must buy!