Parent reviews for The Dressmaker

The Dressmaker Poster Image

I want the last two hours back

This movie was such a waste of time. No strong plot and gross themes. This movie should've ended half way through

Campy comedy

Australian comedy / drama / romance / murder mystery (yes - all of that in the one movie) in a dusty rural outback town with some big names (esp Kate Winslet + one of the Hemsworth brothers). Lots of characters smoke. A theme of social change (generally portrayed as good) versus conservatism (portrayed as bad) is often signified by 50s couturier fashion that features lots of strapless corset dresses and plunging necklines. One of the characters does get his wife drunk and take advantage of her. Many outsider themes portrayed by the characters including the main character, a cross dressing cop, a disabled man, etc. The camp Australian humor will probably will not translate well to other countries. It’s a very niche film with some dark elements – not suitable for under 16s and older teens will probably not like it.

Disturbing. I got hooked by cast and awesome acting but I’ll probably have nightmares.

Casting and acting was awesome. So was costuming. It’s extremely twisted and weird though and peppered with quite disturbing scenes. Overall it’s just an awful story. I should have turned it off so many times, especially at the beginning when a husband drugs his wife then proceeds to rape her. (It’s was just a quick moment you see, but it left a sickening impression.) Many things happen like this. Then, just when things start going better in the movie and I started feeling that maybe I hadn’t wasted over an hour of my life, the very worse thing you could never imagine happens!! It’s shocking and upsetting and completely senseless and makes me hate that I ever watched this. I’m 49 years old and I’m not old enough to have watch this movie. I just feel sad now and am probably going to have weird nightmares. Ugh!!! Why!!! But if you like twisted, sick, dark, terrible story lines, you probably will love it.

Call it Rape

The description or the man drugging his wife to have sex we her needs to be called a rape scene. The man doesn’t drug his wife to have sex with her. He drugs his wife and rapes her. It’s important to call these moments what they are.

Slow, quirky, different ***spoiler alert****

We got it from the €1-basket and gave it a go. The girls (11, and 14yo twins) loved it from the start. They've watched it many times since then and tissues are always necessary. But, beware... the themes touched are not average kid stuff. ***spoilers*** The gayness of the police officer. The sexual abuse by the mayor on his drugged out wife. The weed biscuits helping the pharmacist's wife find peace. The pharmacist is a wife beater btw. The mentally challenged young man who saw how the bully died, but was/is not listened to because he is who/what he is. But especially the strength of the main character, who overcame adversity and walked away a queen. The unfairness of it all. I loved it. They loved it. But watch it first and assess if your child can handle this.

The Dressmaker made me Smile

Ok so the language isn't 1st grade and there are adult themes but if conversing with your children about the media they consume it has great teachable moments - How was life different in the 1930s and 1950s vs today? Why were "slow" people looked down upon? Why was the lead character and her mother looked down on? Would you or your child do that to anyone today? Why or why not? Just to start. So the movie itself brings me back to watch it time and again. The daughter returns home after decades away to remember and heal but little did she expect to find her mother in her own downward spiral. Mothers are very adversely affected when their children are taken from them even in the not best of circumstances. The small inward facing judgmental town seethes with hatred of the mother daughter duo but simultaneously needs them. The acting is very good, setting is perfect and the clothing is on point for the time and for the focus of the movie. By the end I was smiling. (SPOILER ALERT) I was happy to see the policeman finally own up to what he had allowed to happen, the father get his just rewards and the main character get a new fresh start. It is unfortunate people were hurt along the way but no more so than the main character in her childhood and the one man who took a chance on her and made her feel alive again. It is essence a redemption story where those who should have been seeking it were too proud and arrogant to see their gross error and the wronged were vindicated. I like this movie and while it is not a PG rating I'd still recommend it, especially if a parent wants to have teachable opportunities, not judgmental ones!

Australian and not a fan.

I like seeing and hearing Australian accents, actors and locations in a film, but this sort of humour really puts me off. A few parts I did laugh, but the rest I found awful. I had too much of this type of humour and character design while growing up, and I have never enjoyed it. The actors in my opinion did not do a bad job, the sets, the directing, none on that bothered me. Just the characters, the story, and the humour. Not my type of film.

Gorgeous costumes

There's so much loss in this movie, and almost all of it centers around the main character. But the dresses she makes are a joy to behold. She is a strong, complex lead. Satisfying ending, too.